Will this fit my 2.0 Cdt by Justme

• Related topics: (no related topics)

Justme
Hi I seen a vdo 423 cd player on eBay item number 260795046166 and would like to know if this would be a direct replacement for my harmony unit or would I need an iso connector, also would I be able to use the steering controls with this cd player. I would like to keep the unit looking as close to original as possible so know I will need the fascia kit also.

Thanks for all advice

Posted 04 Jun 2011, 23:25 #1 

Duncan
It will depend on the age of your car. Earlier ones had a BMW connector and therefore need an adaptor, unless the current radio is the Symphony version not Harmony like yours. Later cars have ISO already but they don't use Harmony. I'm not sure when the changeover happened, but my 2000 car has BMW, my 2004 early facelift has ISO.

Of course you will also need a faceplate adaptor as the Harmony has an oversize faceplate.

Posted 05 Jun 2011, 08:23 #2 

Justme
Thanks for the reply here is what I was going to buy

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 201wt_1199

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... K:MEWAX:IT

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 645wt_1036

Would this be sufficient or would I new another connector to get the steering controls to work ?

Thanks again

Posted 05 Jun 2011, 11:56 #3 

Duncan
The steering wheel controls wouldn't work without a little adaption. They are on the BMW plug, but not the ISO. It looks like the radio you have can connect to the controls, but I don't know if it can learn the functions from the steering wheel. I've heard that some can, just not sure how. If it does have this feature you would need to connect two extra wires. From the photos on the listing, it looks like they would go to the separate two way connector on the back of the radio.

However I'm not at all familiar with the radio you have shown, so can't say for certain whether, and how you could get the wheel remotes working. Other than that, it looks righ from what I can see.

Posted 06 Jun 2011, 12:15 #4 

Justme
Thanks again Duncan, I really only picked that radio as i don't want the headunit to look out of place, do you know of any other headunits which are black with Amber display which would work with the steering, I have seen a member has put a Sony CDX-L410 in and it worked well. I am now watching one of these on eBay but any further advice on different headunits which would suit would be greatly appreciated.

Posted 06 Jun 2011, 16:36 #5 

Duncan
Personally, I'd go for a Symphony with a CD changer. However some people don't like the sound without a 'loudness adaptor'.

Getting the steering controls is always going to be a struggle although I believe there are a few interfaces available. Just not sure which ones and for what radios. A fleabay search for stalk adaptor might help.

Posted 06 Jun 2011, 18:06 #6 

PaulT
I fitted a Kenwood in place of a Symphony. Bought an adaptor for the steering wheel controls and it did not work. When I checked the wiring diagrams the adaptor was showing the connections on the wrong pins. Connected to the right ones and it worked.
Paul

That apart Mrs Lincoln, did you enjoy the play

Posted 06 Jun 2011, 19:04 #7 

Justme
I did think of a symphony and changer but the wires in the boot are a mess from the previous owner therefore the price for the head unit, changer and professional install would be a bit much.

I did also look at some kenwood players but want to stay more old skool like the iovox etc with an Amber display but for all my searching I cannot find too many cd players which match what I'm looking for.

If I am being realistic I may have to stretch the amount I am willing to pay to get what I want. But advice on other types of cd headunit is always welcome

Posted 06 Jun 2011, 21:32 #8 

Duncan
From the experience of the Iovox I had in my facelift when I bought it, I would avoid. Whereabouts are you? If near the Midlands you could come along to the Nanonmeet mid July and get some alternatives from the owners there, plus some advice and help regarding the wiring you already have. The standard CD player install for Symphony is in the glovebox.

Posted 06 Jun 2011, 21:37 #9 

Justme
Unfortunately I'm in Belfast so would be quite a trek lol, I will look into the symphony as I don't use my glovebox for much anyway so could be ideal. Thanks for the info

Posted 06 Jun 2011, 22:26 #10