why the admin authenticated accounts? by NikTheGeek

NikTheGeek
It doesn't stop spam as a real human wouldn't spot a determined spammer any more than the automated account creation other than looking for obviously dubious hotmail accounts - which would be taken care of by the email validation anyway.

It just slows the process down if you get busy. Although, to be fair, my account took all of 5 mins to activate. But if it had taken 5 days, it may put new members off.... Its easy to kill the fake ones anyway through the administrator control panel. Just my 2p

Now a question for John specifically: Will the censorship of posts be any less on this forum (within reason)? ;)

Nick
>SELECT * FROM users WHERE clue > 0
0 rows returned

Posted 04 Jun 2010, 21:53 #1 

JohnDotCom
A lot less.
We want a friendly sensible Community here,
and as long as it is Legal, Polite and Friendly 99.9% of the time I shouldn't think there will be any problems.
I am sure members on here will be sensible enough to know what not to post. ;)

Very few rules the main ones are at the head of Forums.
John

"My lovely car now sold onto a very happy new owner.
I still love this marque and I will still be around, preferred selling to breaking, as a great runner and performer"

Posted 04 Jun 2010, 22:09 #2 

SpongeBob
re: Admin authentication - We have decided this is the best route to stop automates spam bots, as you suggest. Don't worry about delays in signing up - there is nearly always one of us four around to approve members so there should be no delays in getting people up and running. Quite often your account is activated within a couple of minutes of you completing the registration process but the emails to and from the site to yourself can be delayed - and it is these that inform you of changes to your account.

Posted 04 Jun 2010, 22:13 #3 

Dave
SpongeBob wrote:re: Admin authentication - We have decided this is the best route to stop automates spam bots, as you suggest.

Best of luck with this. My own experience is that they'll still get through! One of my sites is work related and the spambots got so bad that I now have to accept only emailed requests for registration (ie, the registration page tells the would be member where to send a request to, so if they are genuine, I can create an account for them)

Posted 04 Jun 2010, 22:22 #4 

SpongeBob
Dave wrote:
SpongeBob wrote:re: Admin authentication - We have decided this is the best route to stop automates spam bots, as you suggest.

Best of luck with this. My own experience is that they'll still get through! One of my sites is work related and the spambots got so bad that I now have to accept only emailed requests for registration (ie, the registration page tells the would be member where to send a request to, so if they are genuine, I can create an account for them)

We've had good practice ;) We have good eyes and tools for spotting dodgy sign-ups so you can rest assured there will be no junk posts on these boards. :) Thanks for your guidance and concerns nevertheless - every suggestion is noted and acted upon. :)

Posted 04 Jun 2010, 22:27 #5 

JohnDotCom
so you can rest assured there will be no junk posts on these boards.

What? We stopping takestock from posting then? :mrgreen:

Seriously though as said, we have had a few years spotting and checking these now.
John

"My lovely car now sold onto a very happy new owner.
I still love this marque and I will still be around, preferred selling to breaking, as a great runner and performer"

Posted 04 Jun 2010, 22:32 #6 

SpongeBob
JohnDotCom wrote:
so you can rest assured there will be no junk posts on these boards.

What? We stopping takestock from posting then? :mrgreen:

Well, he seemed like a nice enough guy :lol: :panic: :)

Posted 04 Jun 2010, 22:33 #7 

Dave
My "rule" is normally that any sign up with a web site link is dodgy, but not always of course!

Posted 05 Jun 2010, 09:50 #8 

Mick
(Site Admin)
Dave wrote:My "rule" is normally that any sign up with a web site link is dodgy, but not always of course!

We have for the last 3 years been manually authenticating sign ups on the Owners Club site. 10 - 20 per day and 10.5K registered members. Only very rarely have we let a spammer in and that usually because and admin over there did the authenticating without making the necessary checks and judgement, I think the lack of spam on the Owners Club forum speaks for itself.

Posted 05 Jun 2010, 15:58 #9 

Tootall
SpongeBob wrote:re: Admin authentication - We have decided this is the best route to stop automates spam bots, as you suggest. Don't worry about delays in signing up - there is nearly always one of us four around to approve members so there should be no delays in getting people up and running. Quite often your account is activated within a couple of minutes of you completing the registration process but the emails to and from the site to yourself can be delayed - and it is these that inform you of changes to your account.

Still awaiting my my activation email been nearly 24hrs since i registered :confused: after an hour last night i logged in with my details and it opened my account :?:
Ex-Longbridge track monkey.

Posted 05 Jun 2010, 17:55 #10 

SpongeBob
Tootall wrote:
SpongeBob wrote:re: Admin authentication - We have decided this is the best route to stop automates spam bots, as you suggest. Don't worry about delays in signing up - there is nearly always one of us four around to approve members so there should be no delays in getting people up and running. Quite often your account is activated within a couple of minutes of you completing the registration process but the emails to and from the site to yourself can be delayed - and it is these that inform you of changes to your account.

Still awaiting my my activation email been nearly 24hrs since i registered :confused: after an hour last night i logged in with my details and it opened my account :?:

By the virtue that you can post means your account has been activated ;) I can also assure you that I personally saw your new-user activation through the system so rest assured you're a fully-fledged member over here :)

Posted 05 Jun 2010, 17:59 #11 

Tootall
I can also assure you that I personally saw your new-user activation through the system so rest assured you're a fully-fledged member over here :)

Personally service :mrgreen: sounds good to me, keep up the good work.

Posted 05 Jun 2010, 18:05 #12 

Mick
(Site Admin)
Tootall wrote:

Hi Toots, glad to see you here. :)
Probably your delayed email was due to this issue. Or possibly it's in a spam folder somewhere. Most sign ups are authenticated within a minute or two. Unless they occur after we have all packed it in for the night, then it will be first thing next morning.

viewtopic.php?f=32&t=184

Posted 05 Jun 2010, 21:08 #13 

Ragman
For what it''s worth I think it's a good idea - it will not stop the all but goes a long way to solve the issue

Posted 06 Jun 2010, 00:04 #14 

Tootall
Mick wrote:Hi Toots, glad to see you here. :)
Probably your delayed email was due to this issue. Or possibly it's in a spam folder somewhere. Most sign ups are authenticated within a minute or two. Unless they occur after we have all packed it in for the night, then it will be first thing next morning.

I have just checked my spam folder and yes both the 'Welcome to 75ZT community' & 'Account activated' where in there.

Posted 06 Jun 2010, 08:53 #15