Why slag of another forum..... by Poppy (Page 1 of 2)


User avatar
Poppy
Hiya. I have just looked at the "Locked" topic..."Why slag another forum off on here" I note that it had 440 views and 1 reply. While i agree with the sentiments that if you have a problem with another forum "per Se" Then it really should be kept in house.? Unfortunately, because of over zealous moderating and the craving to protect the "Castle" from subversives as may be either rightly, .. Or wrongly perceived at the time... This therefore in my experience often involves over stated moderation does it not.? Because of this, the truth or plainly legitimate posts are deleted for the (Good?) Protection of the "Forum"... Or so we are led to believe... In all honesty, to what I have just read, this seems to be no different whatsoever...Blatant slating of another forum should NOT be tolerated, but to air a view about a certain site to me is acceptable if kept within the right context and boundaries. By locking this thread, I cannot really see any difference as to the censorship being the same on any other site..? Poppy
If you always do what you've always done... You will always get what You've always got.

Posted 16 Jul 2011, 23:09 #1 

User avatar
RhodieBill
Maybe it's a case of "Birds Of Feather".....?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Regards, Bill

Image

Posted 16 Jul 2011, 23:28 #2 

User avatar
Pedro
Poppy1 wrote:...Blatant slating of another forum should NOT be tolerated, but to air a view about a certain site to me is acceptable if kept within the right context and boundaries.

I agree with you Poppy, but I believe that is what happens anyway, hence this thread was allowed to stand: clubs-trader-subs-up-200-0-t3790.html

The moderating on this site is extremely light compared to 'next door' and that's why a number of people prefer it. Yes, we all get a bit worked up at times about what happens on a certain other forum, but I can't see that anything is achieved by creating an 'us and them' scenario. There is no reason why the Community and the Club can't co-exist perfectly well alongside each other. It's your choice whether to be a member of both or just one.

Just my opinion.
Peter

If all else fails......read the instructions.

Posted 17 Jul 2011, 09:52 #3 

User avatar
James.uk
This Particular site is very prone to questions/issues being raised simply due to the fact that the team are all ex mods of the owners club, so it is perfectly natural for members of said owners club to raise things here because the team here know exactly what the rules are, and how they are normally applied on the owners club.. innit??? :D :D

So if complaints about tother club can't be discussed here, then I feel a lot of valuable information and educated opinions are being denied to us members.. no???
...

Posted 17 Jul 2011, 14:57 #4 

User avatar
Duncan
On the other hand, there are quite a number of us who are no longer members of the OC, because of what goes on over there. I think the original thread was saying that there are many, myself included, that don't want the OC politics over here. It's not our fault they run it as they do, and won't allow discussion about it. It can sometimes feel like people come to our community just to have a moan.

So, from my perspective, this isn't the place to discuss your unhappiness with the OC. I don't think it's censorship, I just agree it's the wrong place.

Sorry, just my 2ps worth
Image

Posted 17 Jul 2011, 16:18 #5 

User avatar
Tourerfogey
Hello Poppy ;)

Posted 17 Jul 2011, 16:58 #6 

User avatar
Poppy
Hello. :)
If you always do what you've always done... You will always get what You've always got.

Posted 17 Jul 2011, 17:04 #7 


PaulT
I was the one who started the thread that is now locked.

Yes, it is how Duncan says, fight your fights on the OC club site not this one.

I personally do not use the OC site because of the way it is run. A number on here are here because we cannot stomach the way it is moderated.

Now we are reading another thread about the OC and opening up another debate.

I am sick and tired of it being regurgitated here.

If you are unhappy with the OC say it there not here.

I think it a shame in a way that the original thread was locked as it does smack of censorship, but there again, it reflects badly on the Community if it is seen that the Community supports slagging off the OC.
Paul

That apart Mrs Lincoln, did you enjoy the play

Image

Posted 17 Jul 2011, 17:35 #8 

User avatar
Mick
(Site Admin)
Moderating on this forum is all but non existent.

Posted 17 Jul 2011, 17:45 #9 

User avatar
zojosc
I sincerely hope not as the feel of this site has been great for the last twelve months or so but this thread is starting to sound a little like deja vu. The two sites can run side by side as most members of both sites are aquainted through a common interest but what happens behind one neighbours door should stay in house.
"Keep Smilin'"
Andy

Posted 17 Jul 2011, 17:48 #10 

User avatar
Jürgen
PaulT wrote:Now we are reading another thread about the OC and opening up another debate.

I am sick and tired of it being regurgitated here.

If you are unhappy with the OC say it there not here.

I fully agree with you, Paul. Complaints about the OC should be made on their forums, not here. It's a nuisance to be reminded on that stuff on this friendly forum over and over again.
Jürgen

75ZT Community & Midlands Nano Meets & 75 & ZT Enthusiasts

Posted 17 Jul 2011, 17:57 #11 

User avatar
Poppy
PaulT wrote:I was the one who started the thread that is now locked.

Yes, it is how Duncan says, fight your fights on the OC club site not this one.

I personally do not use the OC site because of the way it is run. A number on here are here because we cannot stomach the way it is moderated.

Now we are reading another thread about the OC and opening up another debate.

I am sick and tired of it being regurgitated here.

If you are unhappy with the OC say it there not here.

I think it a shame in a way that the original thread was locked as it does smack of censorship, but there again, it reflects badly on the Community if it is seen that the Community supports slagging off the OC.




Hiya. If I have upset you then I apologise... But if you took time to read my post correctly, you would have seen that it was not about another site but about moderation and the locking of threads in general...That being on here or any other site. The other thread was started, one answer and then locked....The point that I was originally trying to make, as you state yourself... Was censorship...This point seems to have been missed completely and I now find myself at the end of sharp replies. Well, I am sorry for bringing this emotive topic up, If I had known it would cause a stir, I would never have made the post. Apologies for that. Seems I have inadvertently made myself unpopular. I think it best I keep my "Subversive" thoughts to myself in future.
If you always do what you've always done... You will always get what You've always got.

Posted 17 Jul 2011, 18:17 #12 


PaulT
Poppy

You have not upset people just that as Jürgen also puts it complain about the OC on the OC site not here.

You have only come over recently but there were lots of previous threads complaining about the OC. This is the Community and as Zeb termed it a 'mellow' site.

On the Community people get on with constructive threads about our cars. Extremely few locked threads the original of this being one of the very rare exceptions.

Now as regards cnsorship, if you had started another thread about a locked one it would have soon disappeared. This one has not and Mick, who locked the original, has even commented within this thread - so where has been the censorship of this thread and I think you can be 100% sure that posts have not been removed.

I am sure, from my experience of the OC, that they would love to have something that they could hold against the Community and one of those could be by providing a voice to what they would term disident members of the OC being given voice on the OC.
Paul

That apart Mrs Lincoln, did you enjoy the play

Image

Posted 17 Jul 2011, 18:39 #13 

User avatar
baconbuttyman
Poppy1 wrote:Hiya. If I have upset you then I apologise... But if you took time to read my post correctly, you would have seen that it was not about another site but about moderation and the locking of threads in general...That being on here or any other site. The other thread was started, one answer and then locked....The point that I was originally trying to make, as you state yourself... Was censorship...This point seems to have been missed completely and I now find myself at the end of sharp replies. Well, I am sorry for bringing this emotive topic up, If I had known it would cause a stir, I would never have made the post. Apologies for that. Seems I have inadvertently made myself unpopular. I think it best I keep my "Subversive" thoughts to myself in future.


I think the thread was correctly closed, like said before, community members don't want discussions about the OC which end up slating the OC, If you read between the lines on Mick's post on that thread, it sort of re iterated what Paul wrote, in all essence Mick used it as an announcement and the reason for closure was self explanatory. if there was censorship overhere then this thread would now be closed, thats my take on it anyway
To se our club merchandise, click here http://www.mgr-forums.com/index.php/shopping

Posted 17 Jul 2011, 18:48 #14 

User avatar
Poppy
Hiya. Hey, Please do not worry about it. :!: It may have been my wording that was misunderstood, but I was just trying to generalise about over moderation. I was not referring to any particular site, that assumption seems to have been made by others. I do not really think i fit in anywhere if the truth be known.. :confused: But, such is life I guess.I shall just stick to reading informative posts as i intend to keep my car on the road for as long as I can.
If you always do what you've always done... You will always get what You've always got.

Posted 17 Jul 2011, 18:53 #15 

User avatar
Poppy
baconbuttyman wrote:
Poppy1 wrote:Hiya. If I have upset you then I apologise... But if you took time to read my post correctly, you would have seen that it was not about another site but about moderation and the locking of threads in general...That being on here or any other site. The other thread was started, one answer and then locked....The point that I was originally trying to make, as you state yourself... Was censorship...This point seems to have been missed completely and I now find myself at the end of sharp replies. Well, I am sorry for bringing this emotive topic up, If I had known it would cause a stir, I would never have made the post. Apologies for that. Seems I have inadvertently made myself unpopular. I think it best I keep my "Subversive" thoughts to myself in future.


I think the thread was correctly closed, like said before, community members don't want discussions about the OC which end up slating the OC, If you read between the lines on Mick's post on that thread, it sort of re iterated what Paul wrote, in all essence Mick used it as an announcement and the reason for closure was self explanatory. if there was censorship overhere then this thread would now be closed, thats my take on it anyway



Hiya Mick. No doubt this thread will now misconstrued by others for me having a go at another site. As I have already said, I shall refrain to just reading posts in future. That seems the safest bet for me. Poppy
If you always do what you've always done... You will always get what You've always got.

Posted 17 Jul 2011, 18:56 #16 

User avatar
baconbuttyman
Poppy1 wrote:
baconbuttyman wrote:
Poppy1 wrote:Hiya. If I have upset you then I apologise... But if you took time to read my post correctly, you would have seen that it was not about another site but about moderation and the locking of threads in general...That being on here or any other site. The other thread was started, one answer and then locked....The point that I was originally trying to make, as you state yourself... Was censorship...This point seems to have been missed completely and I now find myself at the end of sharp replies. Well, I am sorry for bringing this emotive topic up, If I had known it would cause a stir, I would never have made the post. Apologies for that. Seems I have inadvertently made myself unpopular. I think it best I keep my "Subversive" thoughts to myself in future.


I think the thread was correctly closed, like said before, community members don't want discussions about the OC which end up slating the OC, If you read between the lines on Mick's post on that thread, it sort of re iterated what Paul wrote, in all essence Mick used it as an announcement and the reason for closure was self explanatory. if there was censorship overhere then this thread would now be closed, thats my take on it anyway



Hiya Mick. No doubt this thread will now misconstrued by others for me having a go at another site. As I have already said, I shall refrain to just reading posts in future. That seems the safest bet for me. Poppy



No i understand what point you were making, but the other thread was not closed through censorship, it was closed to make it an announcement
To se our club merchandise, click here http://www.mgr-forums.com/index.php/shopping

Posted 17 Jul 2011, 19:03 #17 


PaulT
Poppy, do not be silly and not post - if someone feels that they cannot post then that is basically censorship, censorship of a person.
Paul

That apart Mrs Lincoln, did you enjoy the play

Image

Posted 17 Jul 2011, 19:08 #18 

User avatar
Poppy
Hiya. I have not had an easy time of late. Certainly not looking for sympathy or mollycoddling. I hear what you say, but if I censor myself to just using a forum for information, then I cannot get into any more conflict. Anyway, my knowledge of mechanics and cars will not be a great loss. lol.
If you always do what you've always done... You will always get what You've always got.

Posted 17 Jul 2011, 19:18 #19 

User avatar
baconbuttyman
Poppy1 wrote:Hiya. I have not had an easy time of late. Certainly not looking for sympathy or mollycoddling. I hear what you say, but if I censor myself to just using a forum for information, then I cannot get into any more conflict. Anyway, my knowledge of mechanics and cars will not be a great loss. lol.



but your sense of humor will be missed Poppy. One thing i now undersatnd about this site is........Mellow :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :thumbsup:
To se our club merchandise, click here http://www.mgr-forums.com/index.php/shopping

Posted 17 Jul 2011, 22:17 #20 


Top