Why is this a legal requirement? by raistlin

raistlin
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ROVER-75-2-0-Turbo-Diesel-underfloor-cat-Diesel-Catalytic-Converter-/390726747301?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item5af92104a5

I don't ever recall my car's registration number being a legal requirement to purchase any kind of spare part.

Please can anybody enlighten me?
Paul

Cogito ergo sum... maybe?

Click the image to go to Nano-Meet Website

Posted 24 Feb 2014, 19:55 #1 

Bermudan 75
The only spare part that would need your registration would be a replacement number plate.

Cannot find any other requirement for reg number.

Cheers

Mike

Posted 24 Feb 2014, 20:22 #2 

persuer
I have just been onto a reputable car parts website and attempted to purchase exactly the same thing and all it wanted off me was cash. :confused:

Posted 24 Feb 2014, 20:26 #3 

raistlin
persuer wrote:I have just been onto a reputable car parts website and attempted to purchase exactly the same thing and all it wanted off me was cash. :confused:

That doesn't surprise me Richard but to be fair, I was thinking that there might be yet another batch of regulations incoming of which we, the general hoi polloi, have no cognizance at this time.
Paul

Posted 24 Feb 2014, 20:47 #4 

PaulT
So they can then bombard you with offers of other items specifically for your car?
Paul

That apart Mrs Lincoln, did you enjoy the play

Posted 24 Feb 2014, 21:08 #5 

Jumper
If it is a "legal requirement", could it be so MOT testers will have your Reg. no. flagged as having a cat? There does seem to be a lot of de-catted cars about. And I believe if a car is made with factory fitted cat it has to be kept like that? Mind you, I am paranoiac.

Posted 25 Feb 2014, 14:46 #6 

Mick
(Site Admin)
Diesel 75s
To 2001 a CAT that is not type approved may used. To 2006 a type approved CAT can/must be used.
A non type approved may not be used on 2001-2006.

Buggered if I know what any of this means and can't be arsed to look it up as I drive a V6 and have little if any interest.

Perhaps this is why the seller is asking for reg number? "Rhetorical" Not a legal requirement to sell you one but a legal requirement regarding you fitting to a particular aged vehicle.

Example. http://www.cats2u.co.uk/advanced_search ... esel%20Cat

Posted 25 Feb 2014, 14:59 #7 

raistlin
I get a bit concerned when I see the words "By law" Mick ;)
Paul

Posted 25 Feb 2014, 15:11 #8 

Mick
(Site Admin)
raistlin wrote:I get a bit concerned when I see the words "By law" Mick ;)

Why?................ :D :gmc:

Seriously, just some idiot on their advertising team. Best ignored IMHO.

Posted 25 Feb 2014, 15:22 #9 

Dave
By law we have to require your registration number

is more than a little ambiguous, or at the very least, poor grammar! Sounds like it's been made up to me!

Posted 25 Feb 2014, 16:29 #10 

baconbuttyman
I sispect they know they are telling porkies, its a plain fact that the general English public is not the brightest entity on the whole, and there for have ordered wrong parts etc from them before, so to get round this, they ask for the reg number to ensure they get the right product sent out, they probably say it's a legal requirement to ensure the buyer gives the number, most Car spares shops want the reg number these days
To se our club merchandise, click here http://www.mgr-forums.com/index.php/shopping

Posted 25 Feb 2014, 18:31 #11