White Clip On Door Rod Opening by Arctic

Arctic
(Trader)
I think most of us have had a door that will not open due to the white clip being out of line on the threaded bar.

It is always closed around the thread.
Image1

We want to open it so we can open the door then adjust the clip to work all the time.
Image2

With the lock inside there is not much room to flip this clip open, today i tried a trick with a 5p coin & a 1p coin.

Imagine the clip is locked round the bar inside the door as here below.
Image3

Armed with the coins 5p or 1p which ever you have.
Image4

Use either coin and insert it into the clip from the rear.
Image5

Now push the coin forward as far as you can, it will pop open the clip tried it a few times and worked every time.
Image6

Here is a little video using the coin the the bench.
https://youtu.be/91ew3Ws17IM
Pearl Firefrost
ARCTIC

Posted 06 Sep 2021, 07:08 #1 

Last edited by Arctic on 03 Feb 2023, 10:35, edited 1 time in total.

Arctic
(Trader)
Another good tip once you know the door open as it should, you can add a cable tie round the white clip top and bottom, only fit the door card after a few days of testing all is ok.
Pearl Firefrost
ARCTIC

Posted 01 Jan 2023, 13:12 #2 

Trebor
I still have nightmares trying to get one of mine right so any tip to help is a good one Steve , it’s a different set up on the Freelander and no white clip to worry about but even that set up has its moments
Robs Pictures at :

Robs Car Gallery

click below to access nano website

Planning is an unnatural process, much better to just get on with things, that way failure comes as a complete surprise instead of being preceeded by a period of worry and doubt

Posted 03 Feb 2023, 03:13 #3 

Arctic
(Trader)
Trebor wrote:I still have nightmares trying to get one of mine right so any tip to help is a good one Steve , it’s a different set up on the Freelander and no white clip to worry about but even that set up has its moments

Rob.
I have pondered on a Couple of ways to make sure the rod does not loose it's place again, due to it being plastic and the rod metal with a thread wonder who they would make a good match.

One is add a small nut to the thread wind it to the top fully, fit the rod find the correct adjustment/place on the rod, test the door open from inside and outside, then add another small nut to the thread, tighten that to the bottom of the white clip, so it can no longer slip down, which 99.9% of the time they don't anyway, the rod usually pulls up through the clip, once that nut as ben nipped only, then the first nut lower that to the top of the clip, it is now trapped between the two nuts and cannot move.

The already mentioned add cable ties instead top and bottom on the thread, and then one in the middle of the clip thus it grips the thread better.

Image1
Pearl Firefrost
ARCTIC

Posted 03 Feb 2023, 10:18 #4 

Arctic
(Trader)
Hi Rob.
I tried a M4 nut it would not fit, so i went for a M5 normal nut it was loose, so i tried a M5 locking nut it fitted fine.

Image1

Image2

Image3

So if and when my locks play up i will use the M5 locking nut, if a M4.5 was ready available then that would also be perfect.

Cable ties will not cut the mustard as they will just fall off.
Pearl Firefrost
ARCTIC

Posted 07 Feb 2023, 10:22 #5 

Arctic
(Trader)
Found these in the shed recently they do the job nicely 4.5ml or 5ml thread
Image1

Image2
Pearl Firefrost
ARCTIC

Posted 23 Jun 2023, 09:03 #6