Which Headlights do I have by Justin

Justin
Hopefully I don't sound to daft for asking this but my ZT headlights have clear lenses but are definatly not xenons as there is no washer jets, however I was wondering if they were prehaps the halogen ones as there is another pattern that has what seems to be grooved lenses as per the ebay item below which I assume are the standard ones.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/MG-ZT-FRONT-HEAD- ... 3caf6143e7

Or is the lense pattern not dependant on type??

Justin

Posted 29 Jul 2010, 10:17 #1 

DeuxGazoles
Right then there's 3 types of headlamps fitted to Mk1s
1 Halogen Reflector-patterned glass
2 Halogen Projector-clear glass but a bullseye behind
3 Xenon virtually identical in appearance to no.2 but usually have Xenon Technology written in white on the black surround part just behind the lens also instead of 2 rubber bulb access covers they only have 1 on the inner, the outer having a large silver metal box (the ballast)
Hope that makes sense
Geordie Jeans! they're nice & tight especially roond the arse

Posted 29 Jul 2010, 10:40 #2 

Justin
Thats great - thanks!

What is the differance between the two halogen types? (mine are the projector ones)

Justin

Posted 29 Jul 2010, 11:17 #3 

calibrax
Justin wrote:Thats great - thanks!

What is the differance between the two halogen types? (mine are the projector ones)

Justin

The projector uses a lens in front of the bulb to focus the light. The reflector uses a silver dish behind the bulb, and grooves in the clear front cover.
Steve

2004 MG ZT+ CDTi 135

Posted 29 Jul 2010, 11:49 #4 

Justin
Thanks for the explanation.

I just looked at the part numbr (XBC 002170) and they are the Halogen Blue Light Projector ones, with H7 and H9 bulbs, any recommendations for bulbs as the existing ones have never been that bright?

Any opinions on the Phillip Xtreme range?

Justin

Posted 29 Jul 2010, 12:22 #5 

calibrax
Justin wrote:Thanks for the explanation.

I just looked at the part numbr (XBC 002170) and they are the Halogen Blue Light Projector ones, with H7 and H9 bulbs, any recommendations for bulbs as the existing ones have never been that bright?

Any opinions on the Phillip Xtreme range?

Justin

Philips Extreme certainly get good reviews.

Aftermarket xenons give good results in projector headlamps. There is mixed opinion on them though (and in an attempt to avoid a lengthy debate on the subject I'll summarise... strictly speaking they are not legal unless your car is also fitted with self levelling suspension and headlamp washers. But they will pass an MOT with no trouble.) They give out a nice bright white light. Here's some fitted (outer headlamps) with white LED (Light Emitting Diode) sidelights on the inner headlamps.

Steve

2004 MG ZT+ CDTi 135

Posted 01 Aug 2010, 19:59 #6