Where in the world by Dave (Page 1 of 2)

Dave
This might or might not work as a bit of forum fun

Here's the idea. Poster gives clues as to a place, ideally that they have visited, and the others have to guess it. If you can come up with a Google Maps/Earth image of the place, even better - especially if you can get real detail! Once you've "won" one, you can post next

Here's one to start you off.

Bearing in mind where we live, we took the dogs for a walk at the weekend. Starter clues:-

• We don't usually drive more than around 30 mins to a walk
  • We like woods
  • There were two military connections

Now, probably with the help of Google, where were we?!

(this might be too hard, but desperately trying not to make it too easy!)

Posted 09 Aug 2010, 18:06 #1 

Dave
It's not going to work is it?

(unless you are all squirrelling away trying to get answers!)

Posted 10 Aug 2010, 18:16 #2 

raistlin
Dave wrote:It's not going to work is it?

(unless you are all squirrelling away trying to get answers!)

I suspect it has something to do with the RAF, possibly 617 Sqn, but haven't had time to research it further :)
Paul

Cogito ergo sum... maybe?

Click the image to go to Nano-Meet Website

Posted 10 Aug 2010, 19:00 #3 

Dave
:-)

RAF bit is good, but along the lines of was rather than is

Could also be an army link.....

Posted 11 Aug 2010, 07:01 #4 

Simon
Dave wrote::-)

RAF bit is good, but along the lines of was rather than is

Could also be an army link.....

Mmmm....Wouldn't be Belton Park near Grantham by chance??
115,000 miles and counting

Posted 11 Aug 2010, 21:12 #5 

Dave
A little further South

Another clue? On the military link - if I had the money (and space) I could buy a Bedford truck, a tank, a Landrover, an armour plated Jag (very expensive!) and even a Rover 75 (overpriced I think!)

Posted 12 Aug 2010, 18:28 #6 

JakeWilson
Oh it's the Witham Vehicle place that's near us - does all sorts of stuff!

J

Posted 12 Aug 2010, 19:10 #7 

Dave
Pretty much on the mark Jake, now I just need you to tell me where we were walking (and maybe take a stab at a Google Maps image!)

No pressure!

(and if you get it, then it's your turn!)

Posted 12 Aug 2010, 19:29 #8 

MrB
Chris
Member No. 143
Mods so far: LED sidelights, interior lights and number plate lamps, Rover Xenon Headlights, Kenlowe Fan, Synergy 2 and EGR Bypass

Posted 12 Aug 2010, 21:36 #9 

Dave
Spot on that man!

If I knew how to post a zoomed in link, I'd show the exact point where the wood meets the back gate of Withams! :mrgreen:

Posted 12 Aug 2010, 22:30 #10 

MrB
Dave wrote:Spot on that man!

If I knew how to post a zoomed in link, I'd show the exact point where the wood meets the back gate of Withams! :mrgreen:

Took me long enough to work out how to get that link

Can't take all the credit - used everything gathered by all, especially Jakes connection, and just came to a conclusion based on a little Googlery.

Guess I need to have a little think about my place for you to guess??
Chris
Member No. 143
Mods so far: LED sidelights, interior lights and number plate lamps, Rover Xenon Headlights, Kenlowe Fan, Synergy 2 and EGR Bypass

Posted 12 Aug 2010, 23:56 #11 

MrB
OK here we go.

Me and the family are going for a day out tomorrow (well actually, given it's 1am, today).

1. Peter, Paul & Mary sang a song about what we have planned
2. It opened less than 20 years ago
3. The town where it is located is in the Domesday Book and twinned with a town of the same name in the good ole US of A

Hope that makes it fairly challenging and not too easy.
Chris
Member No. 143

Posted 13 Aug 2010, 00:17 #12 

Dave
Let's hope that the answer to 1) is Leaving On A Jet Plane and not Puff, The Magic Dragon!

:mrgreen:

Posted 13 Aug 2010, 06:24 #13 

MrB
Dave wrote:Let's hope that the answer to 1) is Leaving On A Jet Plane and not Puff, The Magic Dragon!

:mrgreen:

Tis neither - no flying of any kind involved
Chris
Member No. 143

Posted 13 Aug 2010, 21:53 #14 

Dave
Morning Train? Blowing In The Wind? ;)

(there's tons of their stuff on Spotify!)

Any more clues?

Posted 14 Aug 2010, 18:43 #15 

MrB
I did put a little clue in there that wasn't listed - it was something I (as the father) was taking them to (tomorrow)

Hope that helps Dave

Chris
Chris
Member No. 143

Posted 14 Aug 2010, 22:47 #16 

Dave
I'm not getting any vibes here!

Is anyone else looking at this thread?!

Posted 15 Aug 2010, 09:57 #17 

MrB
OK think of another word for Father - especially one a young child might use and then think of somewhere you might see animals, tomorrow.

That's the song

To add a further clue - I live in Queensbury which is between Bradford and Halifax - the place we were visiting is not South of us.

Chris
Chris
Member No. 143

Posted 15 Aug 2010, 22:17 #18 

Dave
'twould appear to be a zoo then?

Thinking Flamingo Land for some reason, but think that's been there linger than 20 years?

Posted 16 Aug 2010, 06:50 #19 

MrB
The name of the place does not contain the word Zoo - but that would be what most people would say it was.

It is not Flamingo Land - it is not in Yorkshire, but is in England.

Think only you and me involved in this.
Chris
Member No. 143

Posted 16 Aug 2010, 11:32 #20