Where can I get these please? **Sorted now** by raistlin

raistlin
DSCN1228 (Copy).JPG

It is a backlight bulb assembly of the sort used to illuminate switches in a car. Can anybody tell me what they are called please and maybe where to buy them?

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Paul

Cogito ergo sum... maybe?

Click the image to go to Nano-Meet Website

Posted 11 Dec 2015, 14:15 #1 

Last edited by raistlin on 15 Dec 2015, 10:40, edited 1 time in total.

Borg Warner
It looks similar to the light from the Freelander clock:

http://www.rimmerbros.co.uk/Item--i-YZQ100110

I recently bought one (or was it two?) can you get a better photo up Paul?

Gary M.

Posted 11 Dec 2015, 20:29 #2 

raistlin
No, nothing like that Gary.

If you click on the picture it will enlarge.

It's a sort of a wedge shape with a flat base
Paul

Posted 11 Dec 2015, 20:56 #3 

Duncan
You can get the replacement wedge shaped bulbs with wire ends, or at least you could. It's been a while though since I looked for and found them.

Posted 13 Dec 2015, 20:03 #4 

Duncan
These might be the ones. Does your bulb have a Green 'nodder' on it?
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LAND-ROVER-12 ... Sw7hRWO0PL

If so, these might be the ones as you could move the cover over.

Posted 13 Dec 2015, 20:05 #5 

raistlin
On mine, the bulb wires seem to be integrated with the wedge holder Duncan. They do have a green filter though.
Paul

Posted 13 Dec 2015, 20:12 #6 

Devilish
I cannot tell from your image Paul, if the bulb is a T10 501 W5W or a T5 286. The problem I have had with finding replacement pilot light type holders when the holder is bespoke and not sourced from a manufacturer, the holders were not made available standalone, and never had a part or identification number. You mentioned wires to Duncan, can I assume the holder is push in rubber and the supply wires have become detached, or is it push and twist hard plastic with PCB (Printed Circuit Board) side contacts, I cannot tell from your photo. I have some push fit T5 286 rubber holders I took from one of my Goldwings. I have also hot glued SMDs into rubber and plastic holders, utilising a resistor in the loom added to the rubber holder, and a micro resistor inside a plastic holder.

brighter, and the glue acts as a diffuser. If you get stuck let me know, I can look at developing a superior mod to the filament bulb.

Or is it just the bulb you are after, if that is the case though you would have pulled out the bulb to take the photo.

I have nightmares about replacing a dash bulb on a GoldWing, it is equivalent to taking the dashboard out of a 75 to get to the rear of the instrument cluster. Last time I removed all the filaments and replaced them with LED (Light Emitting Diode)'s. Next time I have it to bits I am replacing the radio units dull as dishwater filament backlighting with SMD's.
If at first you don't succeed, hide the evidence.

Posted 14 Dec 2015, 03:52 #7 

raistlin
Thanks Steve :) These are the illumination bulbs from the driver's door switchpack on my S-Type. They are a plastic wedge shape with a flat base which has a screwdriver slot moulded in to it. They twist a quarter turn like a bayonet fitting to lock into place on the switchpack PCB.

I think perhaps I need to take some more pictures, which I can do this evening
Paul

Posted 14 Dec 2015, 07:46 #8 

PaulT
Triumph TR7 and Rover 2000/2200/3500 instrument packs used a similar sort of device (if memory serves me correctly) for illumination but might have been bigger than your one.
Paul

That apart Mrs Lincoln, did you enjoy the play

Posted 14 Dec 2015, 09:37 #9 

raistlin
IMG_0075 (Copy).JPG

This is about the best picture I can get with the camera I have to hand :( Click on the picture to see an enlargement.

The base measures 10mm in diameter and the whole assembly including bulb is 15mm high.

Can anybody help please?

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Paul

Posted 14 Dec 2015, 18:49 #10 

PaulT
See the bulb holders at the top of the picture frame:

http://www.rimmerbros.co.uk/Item--i-GRID006244
Paul

That apart Mrs Lincoln, did you enjoy the play

Posted 14 Dec 2015, 19:41 #11 

raistlin
Thanks Paul :)

These have a flat base however.

Appreciate your help though mate :)
Paul

Posted 14 Dec 2015, 21:01 #12 

Duncan
They look very like the ones used on Rover 45 and 25 switches, and probably older ones too. Theres a few different sizes so those maybe smaller. They do look a lot like ones from Montego and Range Rover Mk1 instrument packs too.

Posted 14 Dec 2015, 22:28 #13 

raistlin
Have you got any floating around among your sideways cars etc Duncan?
Paul

Posted 14 Dec 2015, 22:48 #14 

Trebor
Paul - presumably you have considered buying a used switch of e bay in order to get the bulb or just replace the switch ?

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
Robs Pictures at :

Robs Car Gallery

click below to access nano website

Planning is an unnatural process, much better to just get on with things, that way failure comes as a complete surprise instead of being preceeded by a period of worry and doubt

Posted 15 Dec 2015, 09:30 #15 

Trebor
Check this out some similar looking ones

http://m.ebay.com/sch/Jaguar-Instrument ... nel+Lights

Robs Pictures at :

Robs Car Gallery

Planning is an unnatural process, much better to just get on with things, that way failure comes as a complete surprise instead of being preceeded by a period of worry and doubt

Posted 15 Dec 2015, 09:41 #16 

Trebor
You may already know but it looks like they are called neo wedge bulbs and searching on that name brings up lots of different ones on e bay

Also found this

http://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/

Robs Pictures at :

Robs Car Gallery

Posted 15 Dec 2015, 09:49 #17 

Trebor
Apologies last link is the wrong one it was on the jag forum though relating to neo wedge bulbs so might be worth a search

Robs Pictures at :

Robs Car Gallery

Posted 15 Dec 2015, 09:54 #18 

raistlin
Thanks Rob :)

Amazingly, the local Jaguar dealership has come up trumps. They have them at just over £1 each so I'm sorted now.

Thanks to all who helped chaps. It is really appreciated.
Paul

Posted 15 Dec 2015, 10:40 #19