What would something like this cost to run? by Dave

Dave
2000 JEEP GRAND CHEROKEE 4.7 Limited 5dr Auto (with LPG (Liquified Petroleum Gas) conversion)

Huge engine, big body, auto - get maybe 14 "real" mpg if you were lucky and thus effectively around 28 LPG mpg?

More pertinently, what would the insurance and (ouch) tax be like?

Sure it's totally insanity (and that I'll never have one) but nice to look!

Posted 31 Aug 2010, 17:59 #1 

Zeb
Dave wrote:2000 JEEP GRAND CHEROKEE 4.7 Limited 5dr Auto (with LPG conversion)

Huge engine, big body, auto - get maybe 14 "real" mpg if you were lucky and thus effectively around 28 LPG mpg?

More pertinently, what would the insurance and (ouch) tax be like?

Sure it's totally insanity (and that I'll never have one) but nice to look!

Your mpg on LPG is a touch optimistic....14 'real' mpg would equal roughly 8-10 LPG mpg x 2 = 16-20 petrol mpg...if you see what I mean!

Tax £245...insurance depends on your age, location, NCD etc.. :confused:

The car itself? Looks lovely! I am very very tempted myself now I hardly do any miles! Great for the Lincolnshire winter school run and ploughing meself out of the dykes... :gmc:

Posted 31 Aug 2010, 18:12 #2 

Dave
14 mpg was only a guess anyway! Seems to much for me to run (£245 RFT could be worse though I guess)

If you buy it can I have a ride?!

Posted 31 Aug 2010, 18:35 #3 

Duncan
If I was looking at this kind of car, I'd be loking at a Range Rover. Just my personal taste but I really didn't like any of the Jeeps I drove.

Posted 31 Aug 2010, 18:42 #4 

Dallas
Duncan wrote:If I was looking at this kind of car, I'd be loking at a Range Rover. Just my personal taste but I really didn't like any of the Jeeps I drove.

:iagree:

Yep! same here, I luv the P38 Range Rovers (got to be black and with black tinted windows). I nearly purchased an 4.6 HSE P38 Auto, yes I know imagine the running costs for a 4.6 auto..... :panic: I still have the chance to buy it as its still for sale, but the wife wont let me.

It even has 22" Chrome wheels and chrome bar runners, its simply massive and very beautiful..... :thumbsup:

Posted 31 Aug 2010, 19:11 #5 

Bernard
The Jeep will do much better than 14mpg on petrol, they are not so heavy. They do go well compared with the straight 6 cylinder 4 litre and will leave the Range Rover for dead.

I've driven a lot in them, I was lent one to convert to LPG by a local main dealer when they first came out. Thet wanted me to give it an extended test as it was a bit of an unknown to be converted at the time.

I would rather have the Rangie though, especially the supercharged.
I don't like signatures, they take up too much screen space.

Posted 31 Aug 2010, 20:19 #6 

Dallas
TECH SPECS

THE RANGE ROVER 4.6 HSE AUTO
ENGINE: 4554cc V8 petrol.
MAX POWER: 225bhp @ 4750rpm.
MAX TORQUE: 277lb.ft. @ 3000rpm.
PERFORMANCE: Max speed 125mph, 0-60mph 9.3 secs.
ECONOMY: 12.8mpg (Urban), 24.8mpg (56mph), 20.1mpg (75mph).
TRANSMISSION: Four-speed automatic.
DRIVE: Permanent four-wheel drive.
OVERALL LENGTH: 186ins.

THE JEEP GRAND CHEROKEE 4.7 V8 OVERLAND
ENGINE: 4701cc V8 petrol.
MAX POWER: 217bhp @ 4700rpm.
MAX TORQUE: 287lb.ft. @ 3200rpm.
PERFORMANCE: Max speed 122 mph, 0-60mph 8.3 secs.
ECONOMY: 12.8mpg (Urban), 20.8mpg (Extra Urban), 15.6mpg (Combined).
TRANSMISSION: Four-speed manual.
DRIVE: Permanent four-wheel-drive.
OVERALL LENGTH: 181.4ins.

Posted 31 Aug 2010, 20:49 #7 

Duncan
Dallas wrote:
Duncan wrote:If I was looking at this kind of car, I'd be loking at a Range Rover. Just my personal taste but I really didn't like any of the Jeeps I drove.

:iagree:

Yep! same here, I luv the P38 Range Rovers (got to be black and with black tinted windows). I nearly purchased an 4.6 HSE P38 Auto, yes I know imagine the running costs for a 4.6 auto..... :panic: I still have the chance to buy it as its still for sale, but the wife wont let me.

It even has 22" Chrome wheels and chrome bar runners, its simply massive and very beautiful..... :thumbsup:

I have to admit a bias for the 38A RRs. Named after the building that the Engineers worked in. OH, nicknamed them Bertha when referring to 'the other woman' that I spent a lot of time away from home with.

The stereo system: that's mine.

Is it £200 like the 75 somewhere else? 4.6HSE, deffo on my list. Would have the hiline stereo!

As with all cars, the tech specs don't say it all, and even if the Jeep is faster, more economical, xxxx, yyyy, zzzz, The RR still has it a bit like 75s do. Many of the same Engineers were involved, remember.....

Posted 31 Aug 2010, 21:26 #8 

Bernard
Duncan wrote:
The RR still has it a bit like 75s do. Many of the same Engineers were involved, remember.....

So that's why we see so many head gasket failures in them! :gmc:

It's almost always only in the offside bank though, and very, very rare in the 4.0 litre variant.
I don't like signatures, they take up too much screen space.

Posted 31 Aug 2010, 22:02 #9