what size alloys??? by johnwh74 (Page 1 of 2)

johnwh74
I am sick of looking at the big gap between the arches and the rubber on my 75 conni so i am looking at getting some bigger rims. I know someone will be able to give me some pointers :hail: so i was wondering...

How big can i go before i have to make any alterations to suspension, inner wings etc?
What size would you actually recommend?

Regards
John
Nottingham Forest Forever

Posted 06 Sep 2010, 15:32 #1 

JohnDotCom
The profile of tyres can also make the gap look much wider.
The largest wheel size fitted to our cars is 18" this will give a harder ride though when the correct tyres are fitted to them.
If larger than the 18" size is fitted you will need to let Insurance company know as never fitted to car as standard although some have fitted 19" and 20".

For me 17" is about the most suitable for a Rover 75 for comfort etc.
18" for a MG ZT.

Some members have also altered the suspension I believe.

It must also be pointed out that any alterations to wheels is meant to be alerted to insurance company as it is a modification.
John

"My lovely car now sold onto a very happy new owner.
I still love this marque and I will still be around, preferred selling to breaking, as a great runner and performer"

Posted 06 Sep 2010, 15:58 #2 

Mick
(Site Admin)
18" were the largest of the OEM wheels. Rob AKA Trebor has I believe 19" rims on his 75

Posted 06 Sep 2010, 16:05 #3 

johnwh74
Mick wrote:18" were the largest of the OEM wheels. Rob AKA Trebor has I believe 19" rims on his 75

i saw Trebor's wheels at the last nano meet and i thought they looked awesome, in fact his car was the one that stood out to me the most.

I think i am going to try and get hold of a 17inch and an 18inch and just see what they look like on the car then buy the ones i like the most.

regards
John

Posted 06 Sep 2010, 16:52 #4 

Cowley_MOA
johnwh74 wrote:
Mick wrote:18" were the largest of the OEM wheels. Rob AKA Trebor has I believe 19" rims on his 75

i saw Trebor's wheels at the last nano meet and i thought they looked awesome, in fact his car was the one that stood out to me the most.

I think i am going to try and get hold of a 17inch and an 18inch and just see what they look like on the car then buy the ones i like the most.

regards
John

Hello John
I have a set of 17'' Meteors coming up for sale soon.
Regards
Lewis
Superabit omnia virtus

Posted 06 Sep 2010, 16:55 #5 

johnwh74
Lewis you have a pm :)

Posted 06 Sep 2010, 16:58 #6 

MrB
John

I am seriously toying with the idea of fitting Eibach Progressive Springs.

These lower the car 30mm but keep the ride as standard.

I believe the last owner fitted the wrong springs for the MOT as the rear is really stiff and boomy over bumps, they are £192 for the full set of 4 - I could just about get a pair of correct rear springs for that.

http://www.potn.co.uk/eibach-pro-kit-spring-kit-rover-75-rj-20-25-18-t-20-cdt-20-cdti-071999-lowers-front-by-30mm-and-rear-by-30mm-e7611140_p1333432.htm

VVC Geeza, on the club site, fitted some to his 1.8 - am not sure if anyone has fitted to a CDT before. :confused:

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=55972&page=7 see post 66 of pics. I think it looks perfect - except I prefer my 16" Unions. He has 18" wheels on - see the comparison in those pics.

Personally I don't believe any wheel/tyre combination will improve the wheelarch gap - as they all have the same rolling circumference - otherwise speedo's would need recalibration.
Chris
Member No. 143
Mods so far: LED sidelights, interior lights and number plate lamps, Rover Xenon Headlights, Kenlowe Fan, Synergy 2 and EGR Bypass

Posted 06 Sep 2010, 18:24 #7 

johnwh74
MrB wrote:John

I am seriously toying with the idea of fitting Eibach Progressive Springs.

These lower the car 30mm but keep the ride as standard.

I believe the last owner fitted the wrong springs for the MOT as the rear is really stiff and boomy over bumps, they are £192 for the full set of 4 - I could just about get a pair of correct rear springs for that.

http://www.potn.co.uk/eibach-pro-kit-spring-kit-rover-75-rj-20-25-18-t-20-cdt-20-cdti-071999-lowers-front-by-30mm-and-rear-by-30mm-e7611140_p1333432.htm

VVC Geeza, on the club site, fitted some to his 1.8 - am not sure if anyone has fitted to a CDT before. :confused:

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=55972&page=7 see post 66 of pics. I think it looks perfect - except I prefer my 16" Unions. He has 18" wheels on - see the comparison in those pics.

Personally I don't believe any wheel/tyre combination will improve the wheelarch gap - as they all have the same rolling circumference - otherwise speedo's would need recalibration.

MrB

i totally agree with you, post 66 looks absolutely awesome. Only thing i would have different is i would have the wheels that Hodgy has on his 75 then i would say that is perfect, not that i would copy Hodgy's idea and steal his thunder :D

My ride seems very soft and wallowy, maybe i could do with a stiffer spring kit, lower it a bit and then some better wheels.
Also what i have noticed is that my speedo is always about 5-6 mph over what the real speed is anyway, surelly that adds up as my cars mileage is lower than it states :lol:

Posted 06 Sep 2010, 19:25 #8 

raistlin
Wash my mouth out with soap and water but damned if those pictures on post 66 don't look spot on :o :D
Paul

Cogito ergo sum... maybe?

Click the image to go to Nano-Meet Website

Posted 06 Sep 2010, 19:30 #9 

andy willi
(Trader)
hi john come over and try the spare set i have on the red ztt and see wot you think

andy :stirer: :cheers: :flosg:
alautomotive.info

Posted 06 Sep 2010, 19:32 #10 

MrB
The 75 was always designed with a soft ride in mind.

BMW didn't want it competing with the 3 series.

The ZT has a firmer ride, so maybe fitting ZT springs will give you the ride you desire??

The Eibach springs are designed to give the same soft ride but will stop the wallowing in corners.
Chris
Member No. 143
Mods so far: LED sidelights, interior lights and number plate lamps, Rover Xenon Headlights, Kenlowe Fan, Synergy 2 and EGR Bypass

Posted 06 Sep 2010, 19:35 #11 

johnwh74
andy willi wrote:hi john come over and try the spare set i have on the red ztt and see wot you think

andy :stirer: :cheers: :flosg:

Yeah that would be great Andy......there is just no end to your amazement and kindness :hail:
I did pop in earlier but you was out. will come see you tomorrow and i will make the drinks :D

Posted 06 Sep 2010, 19:45 #12 

MrB
raistlin wrote:Wash my mouth out with soap and water but damned if those pictures on post 66 don't look spot on :o :D

That's what I thought too.

I hadn't even considered lowering til I saw those.

It looks absolutely as it should have from the factory, in my opinion.

Am just concerned the other springs are one size fits all for all variants, whereas the ones he fitted were specific to the 1.8.
Chris
Member No. 143

Posted 06 Sep 2010, 19:49 #13 

johnwh74
found these at a good price i think. Cant get link to work properly :hissyfit: but they are the ones on the right :D

http://www.ruderacing.co.uk/Suspension- ... tml?page=2 :rolling:

and these on fleebay

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ROVER-MG-75-4-cyl ... 125wt_1137

Posted 06 Sep 2010, 19:53 #14 

andy willi
(Trader)
john a company i know who do lowering springs owe me a favour for using my car for there advertising i will se wat we can do on a deal with them but befour you go down this route i will take you out in mine you may chanfe your mind and i want a favour from you when you call in have a car to collect my 75 can you help me wont take more than ten moments

got an apprentice now he will make the coffie
andy :flosg: :stirer:
alautomotive.info

Posted 06 Sep 2010, 20:08 #15 

johnwh74
Of course i can help you Andy, the least i can do for everything you have done for me

Andy you have a pm mate :D

Posted 06 Sep 2010, 20:12 #16 

SpongeBob
When lowering the car, don't forget to consider that the 1.8 engine weighs a lot less than the CDT variant. ZT spring sets are stiffer and, as far as in am aware, lower than the 75's set up. Also bear in mind that the ZT has stiffer antiroll bars fitted too. Hope that helps.

Posted 06 Sep 2010, 20:28 #17 

MrB
I've got you thinking now, haven't I??

I like the softer ride of the 75, love the way it absords imperfections in the road.

I had a diesel Civic previously which had a sportier ride, could feel every bump.

The Gmax springs look interesting, as they are also progressive, so should work in the same way as the Eibachs. A little cheaper on the site I listed earlier too http://www.potn.co.uk/gmax-rover-75-saloon-0799-lowers-by-30mm-spring-kit-30-ro-09_p1250328.htm although it doesn't say if the ones listed are progressive or not. Same part no as the ones you listed though at Rude Racing.
Chris
Member No. 143

Posted 06 Sep 2010, 20:30 #18 

johnwh74
MrB wrote:I've got you thinking now, haven't I??

I like the softer ride of the 75, love the way it absords imperfections in the road.

I had a diesel Civic previously which had a sportier ride, could feel every bump.

The Gmax springs look interesting, as they are also progressive, so should work in the same way as the Eibachs. A little cheaper on the site I listed earlier too http://www.potn.co.uk/gmax-rover-75-saloon-0799-lowers-by-30mm-spring-kit-30-ro-09_p1250328.htm although it doesn't say if the ones listed are progressive or not. Same part no as the ones you listed though at Rude Racing.

Definitely got me thinking. Andy Willi is going to take me out in his and see what i think.

cant go wrong for the price though, but cant you tell me what does it mean by progressive :gmc:

I dont want to feel every bump but then again i dont want to feel like i am going to topple over going around a bend at 50 mph if that makes sense. I love the ride but i would like it to be a bit more stable

Posted 06 Sep 2010, 20:35 #19 

Patrick
johnwh74 wrote:I am sick of looking at the big gap between the arches and the rubber on my 75 conni so i am looking at getting some bigger rims. I know someone will be able to give me some pointers :hail: so i was wondering...

How big can i go before i have to make any alterations to suspension, inner wings etc?
What size would you actually recommend?

Regards
John

At the risk of stating the obvious, fitting larger alloys is not going to make the wheel arch look “fuller” because the circumference of a 20” alloy with tyre is the same as a 15” alloy with tyre. As the alloy gets larger the width of rubber reduces to ensure the rolling distance of the wheel remains constant (and the speedo accurate!).

I am not sure lowering the car will improve the aesthetics. Every car I see on the road has a constant gap between the outer edge of the tyre and the edge of the wheel arch. Dropping the ride height will make the tyre gap between the top of the tyre and the top of the wheel arch a lot less than the gap at the two bottoms of the wheel arch and this lack of symmetry is likely to look just plain strange!

Posted 08 Sep 2010, 10:46 #20