what size alloys??? by johnwh74 (Page 2 of 2)

MrB
Patrick wrote:At the risk of stating the obvious, fitting larger alloys is not going to make the wheel arch look “fuller” because the circumference of a 20” alloy with tyre is the same as a 15” alloy with tyre. As the alloy gets larger the width of rubber reduces to ensure the rolling distance of the wheel remains constant (and the speedo accurate!).

I am not sure lowering the car will improve the aesthetics. Every car I see on the road has a constant gap between the outer edge of the tyre and the edge of the wheel arch. Dropping the ride height will make the tyre gap between the top of the tyre and the top of the wheel arch a lot less than the gap at the two bottoms of the wheel arch and this lack of symmetry is likely to look just plain strange!

Look at the pics from the post on the club site - with the lowering the gap is the same all around the tyre rather than having a large gap around the top as it does as standard.http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=55972&page=7

I agree regarding changing the wheel size makes no difference whatsoever due to the rolling circumference having to be the same.
Chris
Member No. 143
Mods so far: LED sidelights, interior lights and number plate lamps, Rover Xenon Headlights, Kenlowe Fan, Synergy 2 and EGR Bypass

Posted 08 Sep 2010, 10:58 #21 

Last edited by MrB on 08 Sep 2010, 11:20, edited 2 times in total.

MrB
johnwh74 wrote: but cant you tell me what does it mean by progressive :gmc:

I dont want to feel every bump but then again i dont want to feel like i am going to topple over going around a bend at 50 mph if that makes sense. I love the ride but i would like it to be a bit more stable

wikipedia wrote:Progressive-rate springs are springs whose rate changes as the spring is compressed. As the spring is compressed the rate increases. Springs can be progressive either by having the coils at one end of the spring wound differently than the other, or by actually being two separate springs with different rates held together by a spacer.

Progressive rate springs are intended to give the best of both worlds: a smooth ride, yet response handling over rough surfaces."

So around town the ride will be as standard but when pressing on, on quick roads with tight bends, the suspension will be firmer and thus reduce body roll.

HTH
Chris
Member No. 143
Mods so far: LED sidelights, interior lights and number plate lamps, Rover Xenon Headlights, Kenlowe Fan, Synergy 2 and EGR Bypass

Posted 08 Sep 2010, 11:04 #22 

Bartonrover
johnwh74 wrote:I am sick of looking at the big gap between the arches and the rubber on my 75 conni so i am looking at getting some bigger rims.

Regards
John

Just by the bye - my 17" Meteors with low profile 215 Eagles (still with plenty of tread) ARE SMALLER than my 15^ Crowns with 205 Michelins (almost new). How can I be sure? Recently swapped them over - when jacked up to remove the Meteors I had to jack up further (just a bit) to fit the Crowns. The Meteors will look bigger because the eye sees the alloy rather than the black of the tyre, but the gap between the arches and the rubber may well be bigger. Honest!

Posted 09 Sep 2010, 13:32 #23