What no snow mode? by James.uk (Page 1 of 2)

• Related topics: (no related topics)

James.uk
Is the "snow mode" controlled by a fuse somewhere?

Symptoms- press for snow mode and nothing happens, no snowflake icon on appears screen. it just stays in "D" ...

"S" comes up when sport is selected.

Apart from snow mode everything is as normal.. :confused:

Posted 01 Dec 2010, 21:20 #1 

RRobson
Hmmm, now then james, why would you possibly need snow mode? i thought it was constantly in sport :rolling:
anyway, could be the switch at fault, or possibly a feed to or from it has come adrift?
Tools available to local members

Injector removal tool
Auto gearbox pressure test tool
Vis tester

Posted 01 Dec 2010, 22:34 #2 

James.uk
Ellow Reece.. :) Nice to see you again, I hope you are keeping warm dry and safe.. It's not nice out at the moment.. :shock:

I think you are right, prob an elec connection fault somewhere.. :roll: Too cold for me to look at the moment, and it's not urgent, I can be gentle wiv the go faster peddle if I have too.. :roll:

Oddly enuff, i have never messed with either sport or snow mode before, so the fault may have been there for a fair ole time, though I do have a faint recollection of trying both out in the snow last winter.. hmmm not sure.. :em:

Thanks for the reply... :D :cheers:

Posted 02 Dec 2010, 13:40 #3 

Bermudan 75
Greeting James,

Just had a thought, :o that if you have not used that switch for a while, :sleep: , could it just be a case of dirty, If I may say so, connections or muck in the switch? :confused:

Are you coming on Sunday to thr Hollow Tree? can have a look at the switch, got my hammer somewhere, ;) that usually sorts things out. :thumbsup:

Cheers :cheers:

Mike

Posted 02 Dec 2010, 13:47 #4 

James.uk
Ellow Mike, good thinking.. I will give the switch a good dose of "wiggling about" next time I go out to it.. taa.. :thumbsup:

As for Sunday, that rather depends on the weather. As things stand I would say it is rather unlikely.. :(

I am seriously considering going into hibernation till next May.. :thumbsup: :lol:

Posted 02 Dec 2010, 14:36 #5 

RRobson
James.uk wrote:Ellow Reece.. :) Nice to see you again, I hope you are keeping warm dry and safe.. It's not nice out at the moment.. :shock:

yes keeping well thanks james, hope you are too :) came down with a terrible cold last weekend but luckily didnt last long and cleared before the snow really started to come down. finally got the new winter tyres fitted the other day and they are fantastic, not got stuck with them... yet...

regarding the switch, you could always take it out and put a test metre on it, just to check its making if a good old wiggle proves ineffective? after all, its only a three way push to make switch and if its not at fault thats removed that from the list of possiblr faults.

suprised you dont have the citroen out, i doubt youd get it stuck anywhere with it being so small and light :D
Tools available to local members

Injector removal tool
Auto gearbox pressure test tool
Vis tester

Posted 02 Dec 2010, 16:52 #6 

Duncan
Three wires from the autobox ECU (Engine Control Unit) to the switch. Depending which button is selected grounds one of the three wires.

So if at least one function works the ground is OK. Means it must be the switch or the wire. Switch is most likely as suggested.

Posted 02 Dec 2010, 19:26 #7 

James.uk
Cheers Duncan, i will take a look if this weather ever warms up. :(

Reece, oddly enuff the Citroen is too light to be good in the snow, it will spin its wheels on the flat if I'm not very carefull, the 75's not bad though, but it has crappy tyres on the front = loads of radial grooves but almost no cross ones, great for mway work but hopeless at the moment.. :roll:

I ran both cars engines for 20 mins today but made no attempts at getting them out onto the road, I will jump that hurdle when I have too. the snow around the cars has drifted a bit and is about 8 inches deep.. :roll:

Posted 02 Dec 2010, 21:23 #8 

geesmith
Mines very good in the snow....if you are sympathetico with the on/off pedal. Barely had any slippage.

My snow mode works fine James...........just thought you'd like to know.

The snow on my street was 12" average depth! Wassappen?

Let us know if it comes back to life after a few good downward presses. Good Luck.

Posted 03 Dec 2010, 16:11 #9 

James.uk
Had to run a friend to Stepping hill Hosp for physio today, car drove through the snow with no problems whatsoever in "D" (snow mode still not working) :D ...

On the way home I called in at Etherow Country park to feed the birds, walk the lil dog, and have a coffee by the lake, the car parking area was snow covered to a depth of 2-3 inches but the car went through it easily with no slipping at all, It even failed to slip on the exit slope which surprised me i must admit, so I am very pleased with it's performance overall.. :thumbsup: Problem is -- i am now tempted to try it on far more difficult terrain... hmmm.. lol.. :em: :roll:

On my return I decided to brave a 5 point turn on a slight slope in the snow, again, no problem.. cars now back in it's usual position again ready for next time.. :thumbsup:

*sighs* I am delighted to hear your snow mode is working Glynn (NOT!!) and would of course be gutted to hear you got stuck in the snow ----- :twisted: :lol:

Posted 03 Dec 2010, 17:20 #10 

geesmith
Haha. I'm glad you're back safe and sound....and have fed the needy birdies. My doggy wants to go walkies but he's not high enough for the level of snow. He's using up his excess calories by bonking his duvet... he then goes to lick my wifes toes for a while....then resumes with his duvet mounting. The wife loves the toe licking.... there's only me getting nowt. :D

I keep forgetting to use snow mode after switching the car off. As you say, the 75 seems very competent. I made an effort to lose traction in a safe place and manged quite easily but immediately resuming into safe mode and everything was rock solid again.

Posted 03 Dec 2010, 21:35 #11 

Jürgen
James.uk wrote: :thumbsup: Problem is -- i am now tempted to try it on far more difficult terrain... hmmm.. lol.. :em: :roll:

But don't forget, James, it's not a Land-Rover. :D

Posted 03 Dec 2010, 21:56 #12 

James.uk
Ellow Glynn.. *sighs* Thank you for sharing the habits of your lil dog with me, he really needs help concerning all the toe licking.. Maybe a change in diet? Add a load of bromide to his dinner maybe? :twisted: :D And maybe swapping his duvet for a toy hedgehog? Just a thought ---- :twisted:

You could of course let him spend Christmas with his relatives in Paris.. :D I hear anythings possible on the banks of the Seine. ;)

As for the snow, I am considering fitting skis to the car as this weather seems to as if it's here to stay ... :roll:

Ellow Jugen :) Thanks for the reminder, I will try to keep the car on tarmac .. lol.. :lol:

Posted 03 Dec 2010, 22:27 #13 

geesmith
HMMMM Landrover ....It would suit these cars to have a spare wheel bolted vertically on the boot....... (similar to the whitewall tyres thread....shall we start one?)

Posted 03 Dec 2010, 22:54 #14 

Jürgen
geesmith wrote:HMMMM Landrover ....It would suit these cars to have a spare wheel bolted vertically on the boot....... (similar to the whitewall tyres thread....shall we start one?)

Do you want to start a project there, Glynn? :lol:

Posted 03 Dec 2010, 23:05 #15 

geesmith
I thought it might be more of an online fight than a project Jürgen (ich habe keine umlaut)

I thought James could start a thread saying it was a good idea and then I'd agree with him....then we'd beat off the naysayers with his ski poles for several pages...... :)

Posted 03 Dec 2010, 23:11 #16 

James.uk
Hmmm... When you say "horizontally" Glynn, do your mean the spare to stick out at the back like a fender? Or do you mean on top of the boot lid as a sort of posh spoiler?

Or-- Maybe we could stick it on the back like the old Wolsey's back in the 60's.. and maybe we could incorporate the old thread and have it with whitewalls? Watcha think? :confused:

Posted 03 Dec 2010, 23:19 #17 

Jürgen
geesmith wrote:I thought it might be more of an online fight than a project Jürgen (ich habe keine umlaut)

I thought James could start a thread saying it was a good idea and then I'd agree with him....then we'd beat off the naysayers with his ski poles for several pages...... :)

Sounds like a good plan to me. :D

PS: No problem without umlaut, Glynn. :)
A workaround could be copy and paste, but that's not necessary, as the search for the ü would slow down the writing. I'm used to recognise Jürgen as well. ;)

Posted 03 Dec 2010, 23:24 #18 

geesmith
Thanks Jürgen...good idea.. wasn't thinking at speed. :)

James...stub that out right now!! I said vertically (Wolsley fashion) so otherwise yes, yes, and yes....you start it and I'll back you up...honest. Wassapenyagonnadoit?huh?

Posted 03 Dec 2010, 23:27 #19 

Jürgen
James.uk wrote:Hmmm... When you say "horizontally" Glynn, do your mean [...]

Now you're talking like a politician, James. Glynn said vertically. :lol:

Posted 03 Dec 2010, 23:28 #20