What do you make of this? by Chartermark

Chartermark
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/150719855498? ... 1439.l2649

Made for 'Special Edition' models that never made production apparently.

Fact or fiction?

Anyway as it's new, it must be quite a rare entity these days - I'm tempted!

Posted 15 Dec 2011, 15:38 #1 

Cowley_MOA
To my mind, fiction.

It looks like a normal Real Walnut Dashboard to me, having said that your right a new one is rare!
Superabit omnia virtus

Posted 15 Dec 2011, 18:38 #2 

Zeb
It is, they are full of the proverbial...there was a nice lady on ebay selling them by the dozen for £60-80 a throw a while back...

Posted 15 Dec 2011, 18:47 #3 

Duncan
Only thing I am sure of is it's not a glovebox cover. I thought they knew 75s better than that.....

Posted 15 Dec 2011, 18:56 #4 

Trebor
I agree with Lewis it looks like a real wooden dash but can't see from the pictures the airbag logo to make sure
Robs Pictures at :

Robs Car Gallery

click below to access nano website

Planning is an unnatural process, much better to just get on with things, that way failure comes as a complete surprise instead of being preceeded by a period of worry and doubt

Posted 15 Dec 2011, 20:06 #5 

Chartermark
I've enlarged the photo of the airbag cover Duncan, and it definitely reads 'Airbag'.

It's the grain of the wood that interests me, very wide and really quite unusual.

Axiomatically of course these things are still out there, but I've not seen a new one, (with an old ebay search on for 'Rover Walnut' over the past 6 months).

Eventually I suppose they'll dry up, and seeing as my existing replacement dash from the original light oak, has a few marks and surface scratching I think I'll replace it.

Trouble is I had the gear shift, handbrake and Simons bits all from new, which along with the custom polished Steering Wheel, contrasts sharply, with the '99 dash.

'There's no perception without contrast'

Posted 15 Dec 2011, 21:20 #6 

Chartermark
Trebor wrote:I agree with Lewis it looks like a real wooden dash but can't see from the pictures the airbag logo to make sure

Well I've got it, arrived today. I have taken a picture of the airbag cover / front & rear. It certainly seems much heavier than the replacement one I fitted six months back.

Tell me, are the fittings on the rear standard? I must admit to being puzzled as to how they mount, as the 7 female fixtures are threaded for bolts. as can be seen?

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Posted 20 Dec 2011, 17:50 #7 

Cowley_MOA
It looks very nice Martin. The fittings are standard; they are the holes the security torex go into. They then attach to the plastic piece which connects to the air bag itself.
Superabit omnia virtus

Posted 20 Dec 2011, 18:09 #8 

Chartermark
Thanks Lewis,

I'm getting it fitted on the 5th of Jan, so before that happens it sounds like a good excuse for a meet up at Thorpe, for you to appraise it's validity, or not as;

"made for a special edition car on the production line, that never made it"

I don't think it's that much different, but it is split new, and it did arrive in a splendid presentation box. So perhaps the 'Phoenix 4' were hucksters after all, and not the good old-fashioned English gentleman of folk lore ? ...

Posted 20 Dec 2011, 19:03 #9