What do people make of this? by Zeb

Zeb
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-humber-12115179

Me? depends where it is....if it is clearly a revenue raising spot then I will flash
those that might be going a bit too quick....assuming they are not in a Corsa / Saxo / 106... :D If it is clearly a dangerous spot to be speeding I don't...

Thing is, I have no real idea IF they are speeding or otherwise...neither had this chap, so how can he be guilty of 'wilful obstruction'?

Posted 04 Jan 2011, 18:49 #1 

Tourerfogey
How can he not be guilty of wilful obstruction? He admitted it didn't he?

Sorry, I can't understand why people try to defend people who exceed the speed limit because they don't like speed cameras. It doesn't matter whether they are there to raise revenue or to reduce the risk of accident - if someones speeds then they are still breaking the law. Furthermore, every single driver is aware that if he is caught speeding then he can expect a fine / points on licence so its a no brainer - if you don't want a fine / points on your licence then don't speed.

Simple

Posted 04 Jan 2011, 19:20 #2 

JohnDotCom
In the slip road not far from me the Police camera van parks outside a certain property,
the owner then comes out and moves his car about 500 Metres up the road with a great big sign "warning speed camera ahead".
He hasn't been done or even cautioned, but the van doesn't stay long once he is there!
This game has been going on for nearly two years now, but you should see the brake lights go on.

Perhaps putting a sign up is the same as the ones put on lamp posts?
John

"My lovely car now sold onto a very happy new owner.
I still love this marque and I will still be around, preferred selling to breaking, as a great runner and performer"

Posted 04 Jan 2011, 19:40 #3 

Zeb
Tourerfogey wrote:How can he not be guilty of wilful obstruction? He admitted it didn't he?

Sorry, I can't understand why people try to defend people who exceed the speed limit because they don't like speed cameras. It doesn't matter whether they are there to raise revenue or to reduce the risk of accident - if someones speeds then they are still breaking the law. Furthermore, every single driver is aware that if he is caught speeding then he can expect a fine / points on licence so its a no brainer - if you don't want a fine / points on your licence then don't speed.

Simple

Evening Basil...
Yes he admitted it....for whatever reason...but what if he hadn't? I am interested as to how the case might have gone... a la JDC's comment above..

Don't believe I said I do not like speed cameras...I just dislike the fact that they are misused to make money rather than save lives. Speeding is indeed breaking the law Basil....but nobody is perfect as a rule.. ;)

Posted 04 Jan 2011, 22:24 #4 

James.uk
I think he was a bit daft to have admitted it, had he argued it would have been very difficult to prove exactly what his motives were, or even prove he intentionally flashed his lights at people.. :confused:

Posted 04 Jan 2011, 23:00 #5 

Dallas
Think the poor fella has done wrong, the law is correct on this occasion me thinks. I don't flash and warn others but other motorist have flashed me where most probably it has saved me from a fine, but motorist warning the fact that a speed gun is in operation is just asking for trouble from the law.

Its simple really! Dont Speed! and you wont get a fine............ :roll: The guns (cameras) are there for a reason and yes it does help to reduce speed and to protect everyones safety. I have been caught several times over the years and have learnt my lesson and I do drive more careful, now I have no points on my license and want to keep it that way (so keep to the speed limits and you cant go wrong).

You would think the old fella would know better wouldn't you, if others are speeding then let them get caught (they are putting peoples lives in danger) and he wants to help these people. :rolling:

Posted 05 Jan 2011, 00:05 #6 

Tourerfogey
Dallas wrote:Think the poor fella has done wrong, the law is correct on this occasion me thinks. I don't flash and warn others but other motorist have flashed me where most probably it has saved me from a fine, but motorist warning the fact that a speed gun is in operation is just asking for trouble from the law.

Its simple really! Dont Speed! and you wont get a fine............ :roll: The guns (cameras) are there for a reason and yes it does help to reduce speed and to protect everyones safety. I have been caught several times over the years and have learnt my lesson and I do drive more careful, now I have no points on my license and want to keep it that way (so keep to the speed limits and you cant go wrong).

You would think the old fella would know better wouldn't you, if others are speeding then let them get caught (they are putting peoples lives in danger) and he wants to help these people. :rolling:

Simple isn't it. I really don't see what there is to discuss.

Posted 05 Jan 2011, 13:53 #7 

Tourerfogey
James.uk wrote:I think he was a bit daft to have admitted it, had he argued it would have been very difficult to prove exactly what his motives were, or even prove he intentionally flashed his lights at people.. :confused:

So, you are suggesting he should have lied in court?

Posted 05 Jan 2011, 13:55 #8 

raistlin
My take on this.

Like a lot of people I meet, this chap seems incapable of distinguishing between 'the' law and 'his' law. His opinion, although doubtful and based upon shaky logic, is valid in that it is an opinion, to which anyone is entitled. However, just because he thinks it should be so, doesn't make it so.

Given the evidence as presented so far, albeit with the usual media spin, I would have no difficulty in finding him guilty of the charge.

Further, being an experienced appeal Court Magistrate, I am satisfied that his case would fall at the first hurdle, should he continue in his stated course of appealing the conviction.

Personally, I don't believe a word of his story. His statements just don't add up and any prosecutor worth their salt would tear his story to shreds. In my view, he was just doing what a lot of people do as a sort of private vendetta and sign of disapproval and I make no comment as to my own views on the actions he took. BUT, by his pig-headedness, he dropped himself in the poo when he was given a way out.

What he is doing though, is wasting a lot of time and money both for himself and for the Courts, in pursuing his case. Regardless of whether anybody thinks his actions were right or wrong, he is wrong in law. He convicted himself by his own statement.

I deliberately make no value judgement on his actions. Each to his own opinion :)

I heard Quentin Wilson making his usual and unsurprising comments this morning and took the trouble to research the High Court case he quoted regarding a lorry driver. As usual, Mr. Wilson never lets the facts get in the way of a damned good excuse to have a pop at speed cameras and, true to form, he conveniently chose to misquote parts of the case and miss out the inconvenient bits altogether.

As to whether the prosecution passed the 'Interests of justice' test... ;)
Paul

Cogito ergo sum... maybe?

Click the image to go to Nano-Meet Website

Posted 05 Jan 2011, 19:14 #9 

rovernut
Interesting...

My TomTom flashes me to tell of a camera ahead.

Naughty TomTom!

I used to flash my lights to warn drivers of a speed trap (as they were called) when I was a tad younger. It gave me a warm glow to know I had slowed a speeding car down and saved the taxpayers money in police and court costs ;)

Now I am old and perfect.

Chris

Posted 07 Jan 2011, 12:46 #10 

Zeb
How did you manage old AND perfect? I only managed the former...

Posted 07 Jan 2011, 13:52 #11 

raistlin
Zeb wrote:How did you manage old AND perfect? I only managed the former...

Yeah, that's what Laura says as well ;)
Paul

Cogito ergo sum... maybe?

Click the image to go to Nano-Meet Website

Posted 07 Jan 2011, 14:00 #12 

Duncan
rovernut wrote:Interesting...

My TomTom flashes me to tell of a camera ahead.

I believe this would be illegal in Germany. In fact Illegal even to have a device that could do this, according to what I was told.

Posted 07 Jan 2011, 21:21 #13