What a few days I've had/having by takestock (Page 1 of 2)

takestock
As some of you will know I find out Monday or Tuesday if i am to be made redundant, so we are on edge a little here :(

Thursday:
Alternator clutch makes a break for freedom on the wifes Diesel Leon whilst she is up in Durham. She has forgotten to take her phone with her and cannot remember my mobile number She manages to limp to a garage who quickly diagnose the problem, she rings home and leaves a message for me to ring her.

I return home around 1:30pm and ring the garage, they have given her a courtesy car and she is on her way home, oh and by the way it will cost £400 +Vat :shock: I told them not to carry out any work on the car.

Wife returns home and I asked why she didn't ring recovery? well it seems she did but because she forgot her phone, she drove to the garage and because she was in a garage no need to recover the vehicle home. I rang the recovery people and played on the fact, single female, strange area left to find her way home. to cut a long extremely heated discussion short, the recovery company agreed to retrieve the car after 12:30pm Friday.

Rang the garage and explained the situation and explained we would have the courtesy car back to them Friday afternoon with payment for 1 days hire. Sorted.

Friday:
I gets an uber early start at work and site visits completed by 12:00 ( paperwork input should be PM but as it's weekend I have to Monday morning.)
Tracks down the correct alternator ( 3 to choose from :() not too bad @ £117 inc VAT and a new belt @£20.

12:45 phone call from recovery, Garage will not release car until courtesy car is returned, I am in Leeds just setting off. Recovery threaten to leave if i don't pay waiting time :x My say nav says 60mins away. I then have no option but to pay the £45 for 1 hour wait or lose the recovery. Wife rings recovery from land line and pays via debit card.

1:15, traffic jam on A1 nose to tail, finally arrive at garage at 2pm 1 hr and 15 mins later and not the 1 hr, guess what, Mr Man mountain from the garage and his buddy from the recovery require and extra £22 ( 30mins waiting time).

All because my missus forgot her phone and tried to do what she thought best.

New alternator is now fitted, the clutch decided to take the short route though the inter cooler so I had to resort to a little plastic soldering :em: short term, but i can see what would have happened if the car had been repaired at the garage " your turbo is knackered" yeah right.

just to cap the weekend off, wifes left calf and ankle has swollen up and just back from casualty, diagnosed with DVT blood clot, injections in stomach and aspirin until she can have a scan on monday..... :(

Oh whats happening Monday, ah yes i remember, i may be out of work............. :hissyfit:
Photobucket = Tossers

Dave....

Posted 13 Mar 2011, 09:47 #1 

stevemac
Yep, that sounds like a poor week. :shock:
Good luck on Monday, been through that. Fortunately now out the other side and better for it.
Steve
People call me average, but I think that's mean!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime; give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish.

Posted 13 Mar 2011, 11:50 #2 

calibrax
Wow, that's quite a sorry tale! But you have to take the positives from it - the car is now fixed for much less than it might have cost, your missus was ok after the breakdown, and she's having treatment for the DVT so that should be ok before too long.

Lets hope tomorrow/Tuesday will also be positive. Good luck, got my fingers crossed for you!
Steve

2004 MG ZT+ CDTi 135

Posted 13 Mar 2011, 11:51 #3 

raistlin
Regardless of the car problems, which are bad enough, I have my fingers crossed for you tomorrow Dave.

My own job, whilst not in the same jeopardy as yours, is none too secure at the moment.
Paul

Cogito ergo sum... maybe?

Click the image to go to Nano-Meet Website

Posted 13 Mar 2011, 20:07 #4 

Jürgen
Dave, I hope it will go well jobwise (keeping my fingers crossed).

Posted 13 Mar 2011, 20:24 #5 

JohnDotCom
What can I say Dave?
Hope all is Ok with Marina tomorrow and a good outcome on job front.
John

"My lovely car now sold onto a very happy new owner.
I still love this marque and I will still be around, preferred selling to breaking, as a great runner and performer"

Posted 13 Mar 2011, 21:46 #6 

Zeb
Most important thing is that your good lady is getting sorted...cars, jobs, alternators, money all come and go.....but those we love are another matter..

Good luck with it all Dave..

Posted 13 Mar 2011, 22:02 #7 

James.uk
Hiya Dave, I am really sorry you and Marina are having such an awfull time.... :(

Let's hope Marina gets well real fast and you get a job sorted.. :thumbsup:

Posted 13 Mar 2011, 22:05 #8 

takestock
Thanks for the messages chaps, and the PM's it is appreciated i assure you, just back from the hospital after Marinas second injection. Poor lass can hardly walk :(
Photobucket = Tossers

Dave....

Posted 13 Mar 2011, 22:13 #9 

Last edited by takestock on 13 Mar 2011, 22:21, edited 1 time in total.

Mick
(Site Admin)
All the best for a swift recovery for Marina. Hope your job is OK. Sod the car, apart from the aggravation and cost.

Posted 13 Mar 2011, 22:16 #10 

Rorybreaker
Dave,
Best wishes for you tomorrow and to your wife for a speedy recovery.
Tony.

Posted 13 Mar 2011, 22:29 #11 

starbug2
Rorybreaker wrote:Dave,
Best wishes for you tomorrow and to your wife for a speedy recovery.
Tony.

:iagree: i wish you both all the best

Posted 13 Mar 2011, 22:35 #12 

PaulT
Never actually happened to me but the threat has hung over me a few times - certainly not a nice feeling.

Now at my age it would be very beneficial to be made redundant.

Hope it is good news for you.

As for your wife at least it has been discovered in the UK and you can be aware of it and not do things that could cause problems, such as long air trips etc.

Paul
Paul

That apart Mrs Lincoln, did you enjoy the play

Posted 14 Mar 2011, 07:40 #13 

kandyman
Good luck to you this week Dave, hope my text this morning made you smile ;)

Posted 14 Mar 2011, 08:25 #14 

takestock
kandyman wrote:Good luck to you this week Dave, hope my text this morning made you smile ;)

More than a smile Andy, very funny, cheers mate.........:)
Photobucket = Tossers

Dave....

Posted 14 Mar 2011, 11:27 #15 

DeuxGazoles
Oh Dave I've only just picked up on this thread. I really hope everything works out ok for both of you :cry: Best of luck ;)

As for the breakdown, not really important in the grand scheme of things but you'll have a PM in a minute ;)
Geordie Jeans! they're nice & tight especially roond the arse

Posted 14 Mar 2011, 11:53 #16 

Cowley_MOA
Very sorry to hear this Dave, chin up mate :) hope things improve for you soon :)
Superabit omnia virtus

Posted 14 Mar 2011, 12:29 #17 

takestock
Decision on employment has now been delayed by the HR dept to this Friday, I hate not knowing.:(
Photobucket = Tossers

Dave....

Posted 16 Mar 2011, 06:49 #18 

Zeb
Typical.... :(

Posted 16 Mar 2011, 07:28 #19 

kandyman
I'll send you another text to cheer you up ;)

Posted 16 Mar 2011, 07:46 #20