Welcome to the New Look of the Community! by SpongeBob (Page 2 of 3)

• Related topics: (no related topics)

Mick
(Site Admin)
Tootall wrote:
stevemac wrote:Also swapped my avatar around now that they show on the right.

How did you do that as every other forum i use members details as alway on the left would like this one to look the same?

Its a different layout and will take some getting used too.

He is referring to flipping his avatar to face the opposite direction not change the board view.

We chose this style because we like it, obviously it not the same as other boards and there is very good reason for that. It has been majorly enhanced and highly personalised for this forum and community.
As with anything new, at first it may seem a little awkward and difficult to navigate, but that is the nature of change.
To quote some great sage or other. "Change is the only reality, all else is only illusion"

Posted 26 Jun 2010, 08:30 #21 

Mick
(Site Admin)
Dave wrote:Hmmm, seems "List" doesn't work either!!!

Wonder if my previous post was submitted exactly the same time as Tootalls, so one "won" over the other?

(oh, and scrolling is jerky too!!)

:gmc:

List works perfectly you chose List= which is a different function. Try [ list]........ [/list] without the space or click the appropriate list function button.
Scrolling on Windoze I am informed requires setting in a particular way, Simon has the tech term for it, I don't do tech speak. This will be sorted to work correctly in all circumstances. As with anything completely new in design there are bound to be one or two quirks which require attention no matter how intensive the testing on all platforms and all browsers.

Posted 26 Jun 2010, 08:32 #22 

Rammie
stevemac wrote:
Yertiz wrote:Actually, if you turned your avatar around you were very close to creating your very own moving avatar :lol: :stirer:

:?:

Something like this, maybe?

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Brian

Posted 26 Jun 2010, 08:37 #23 

Last edited by Rammie on 26 Jun 2010, 08:49, edited 1 time in total.

Mick
(Site Admin)
Yertiz wrote:
stevemac wrote:
Yertiz wrote:Actually, if you turned your avatar around you were very close to creating your very own moving avatar :lol: :stirer:

:?:

Something like this, maybe?

That's just making me nauseous. I hope we don't have any epileptics viewing, we ain't insured. :)

Posted 26 Jun 2010, 08:40 #24 

Rammie
Actually Homer has the same effect on me too :D :)
Brian

Posted 26 Jun 2010, 08:43 #25 

Rammie
Mick wrote:That's just making me nauseous. I hope we don't have any epileptics viewing, we ain't insured. :)

Mick, I have slowed it down. Can't have anyone filing a claim against the Community ;)
Brian

Posted 26 Jun 2010, 08:51 #26 

SpongeBob
Regarding the scrolling and the menu box:-

Things can be made smoother if you are prepared to alter some of the settings in your computer. Not all settings will apply to everyone and I couldn't begin to tell you where all the different settings for each browser and operating system are so please don't ask :em: :gmc:

• Smooth Scrolling - If not enabled do so as this can help remove the jerkyness sometimes experienced when scrolling a window.
  • Amount of lines to scroll - Could be called many things but is basically how many lines are moved for each one movement of your scroll wheel. The smaller the number the better as it makes for much smoother movements.
  • Your mouse settings - Some mouse manufactures have their own proprietary software that controls things as well as the system software - be sure to check these settings too.
  • Javascript - You need to have this enabled to view what this floaty menu is all about. Javascript is also essential for the Lightbox feature. To be honest, if you're only visiting trusted sites there is no reason why you shouldn't have Javascript enabled nowadays ;)

Posted 26 Jun 2010, 10:59 #27 

Dave
Mick wrote:List works perfectly you chose List= which is a different function. Try [ list]........ [/list] without the space or click the appropriate list function button.
Scrolling on Windoze I am informed requires setting in a particular way, Simon has the tech term for it, I don't do tech speak. This will be sorted to work correctly in all circumstances. As with anything completely new in design there are bound to be one or two quirks which require attention no matter how intensive the testing on all platforms and all browsers.

• Fair enough!
  • What does List= do then?!
  • Still have to scroll down miles to submit! ;)

Posted 26 Jun 2010, 13:30 #28 

Mick
(Site Admin)
Dave wrote:
Mick wrote:List works perfectly you chose List= which is a different function. Try [ list]........ [/list] without the space or click the appropriate list function button.

• Fair enough!
  • What does List= do then?!
  • Still have to scroll down miles to submit! ;)

[list=]1001
[/list]

No Bullets. :) a single word or character is required after the =

Scrolling down is governed by the smilies list, that will be rationalised and condensed now the big silly MSN ones are not being utilised so much, they were just thrown in for fun as we set up.

Posted 26 Jun 2010, 15:20 #29 

Dave
Mick wrote:No Bullets. :) a single word or character is required after the =

Interesting, as I thought it was the insertion of [*] before each list point that gave the bullets.

Using "List" without [*] I get

One
    Two
    Three

Using it with the [*] I get

• One
  • Two
  • Three

Posted 26 Jun 2010, 15:55 #30 

Mick
(Site Admin)
Dave wrote:

Interesting, as I thought it was the insertion of [*] before each list point that gave the bullets.

One
    Two
    Three

• One
  • Two
  • Three

Quite right I'm talking rubbish about bullet points. I'll have to look at this again and try and talk sense. :)

Posted 26 Jun 2010, 16:42 #31 

Mick
(Site Admin)
Mick wrote:
Dave wrote:

One
    Two
    Three

• One
  • Two
  • Three

Quite right I'm talking rubbish about bullet points. I'll have to look at this again and try and talk sense. :)

This Says it much more concisely than I can translate:-

Generating lists
Creating an Unordered list
Creating an Ordered list

http://www.phpbb.com/community/faq.php?mode=bbcode

Posted 26 Jun 2010, 19:35 #32 

tammyboy
Hi guys getting used to the new look like anything it will become the norm. after a while the only thing i am missing , could be me being thick!! not unheard of but can't see any symbol when scrolling through threads to denote that i have posted in that thread previously, comes in handy when your searching a topic and can't remember exactly which thread it was in cheers Tam.

Posted 26 Jun 2010, 22:50 #33 

Samarkand
By the time I read the thread from the beginning, I got used to the new look.
My thoughts:
[list=][*]We could use the hover thing over the thread title in the main list of threads
[*]The upper banner could be a little shorter so as not to take much screen real estate.
[*]Am I doing this list thing correctly? I can't seem to get it to work properly :confused: [/list]
Majed
I miss you a lot Samarkand!

Posted 27 Jun 2010, 12:00 #34 

Dave
Samarkand wrote:By the time I read the thread from the beginning, I got used to the new look.
My thoughts:
[list=][*]We could use the hover thing over the thread title in the main list of threads
[*]The upper banner could be a little shorter so as not to take much screen real estate.
[*]Am I doing this list thing correctly? I can't seem to get it to work properly :confused: [/list]

To make your list work properly, go back and take the = out.....

Samarkand wrote:
  • We could use the hover thing over the thread title in the main list of threads
  • The upper banner could be a little shorter so as not to take much screen real estate.
  • Am I doing this list thing correctly? I can't seem to get it to work properly :confused:

Or add a or 1 after the =

List=a

Samarkand wrote:By the time I read the thread from the beginning, I got used to the new look.
My thoughts:
  1. We could use the hover thing over the thread title in the main list of threads
  2. The upper banner could be a little shorter so as not to take much screen real estate.
  3. Am I doing this list thing correctly? I can't seem to get it to work properly :confused:

List=1

My thoughts:
  1. We could use the hover thing over the thread title in the main list of threads
  2. The upper banner could be a little shorter so as not to take much screen real estate.
  3. Am I doing this list thing correctly? I can't seem to get it to work properly :confused:

:mrgreen:

Posted 27 Jun 2010, 12:11 #35 

Samarkand
Ok here goes:
  • We could use the hover thing over the thread title in the main list of threads
  • The upper banner could be a little shorter so as not to take much screen real estate.
  • Am I doing this list thing correctly? I can't seem to get it to work properly :confused:

Ok I think I got it :D
Majed
I miss you a lot Samarkand!

Posted 27 Jun 2010, 12:54 #36 

Dave
Seems like it!

:mrgreen:

Posted 27 Jun 2010, 13:40 #37 

raistlin
I've had a few days to get used to it now.

Sorry Simon, I don't like it at all :( No point in going into individual concerns, there are too many to bore you with.
Paul

Cogito ergo sum... maybe?

Click the image to go to Nano-Meet Website

Posted 27 Jun 2010, 14:12 #38 

James.uk
>>>Don't like it <<<

Heh heh Colin.. :stirer: 8-)

Does your computer say no? :D :D :D

Posted 27 Jun 2010, 18:37 #39 

takestock
Any chance of a legend for the blue (sometimes grey) circle to the left of the post title please :D
Photobucket = Tossers

Dave....

Posted 27 Jun 2010, 20:33 #40