Website Building by Mad-Monkey

• Related topics: (no related topics)

Mad-Monkey
What's the best avenue for building a website for a complete website idiot like myself? Just tried 'instantsite pro' from 123-reg and it's rubbish to say the least. Rang them up and got a refund! Advertised as being customisable (which I suppose is true) but you're limited to the couple of options they provide which makes the templates hard to use.

What do I want? A site for uploading information with a couple of photos and maybe a download area. Must be easy to update and that's about it!

Posted 11 Dec 2013, 13:41 #1 

Mick
(Site Admin)
You can get a 30 day free trial of Dreamweaver, which will allow you to create any type of site you want. This is WYSIWYG software. Once created you will very quickly see how your pages are constructed by viewing the source code, allowing you to update / alter your pages manually once your trial has ended, using a simple non WYSISWYG tool such as Aptana Studio. Which is open source and therefore free.
I would recommend you use a stand alone ftp software rather than using Dreamweavers. Cyberduck is simple and straightforward.

Alternatively you could use something like Weebly http://www.weebly.com which is entirely free in its basic form, browser based and, idiot proof.

Posted 11 Dec 2013, 14:14 #2 

Dave
I'd second Weebly! Use it for free like Mick says, or once you get used to it, export it to your own webspace and edit it from there :)

Posted 11 Dec 2013, 16:41 #3 

Trebor
Dave,

My car gallery below is on weebly and the old nano site was too, its pretty easy to use tbh
Robs Pictures at :

Robs Car Gallery

click below to access nano website

Planning is an unnatural process, much better to just get on with things, that way failure comes as a complete surprise instead of being preceeded by a period of worry and doubt

Posted 11 Dec 2013, 17:02 #4 

Mad-Monkey
Cheers guys. I do have dreamweaver as it came with photoshop but I thought I'd need a degree to use it so dismissed it.

I'll try weebly, and I also have 30 days free of site builder from 123-reg now as they recommended that one.

I'll try, I'll also try to keep the bad language down whilst I'm doing it :)

Posted 11 Dec 2013, 19:53 #5 

Mad-Monkey
Website builder is quite straight forward for the complete web idiot like myself. Takes a bit of getting use to as there is no help within the building process, but there are tutorials on 123-reg.co.uk. I've managed to do almost two sites consisting of 3 pages each so far :-)

I'm going to get a basic site up and going for work and then have a look at weebly and Dreamweaver

Cheers guys!

Posted 13 Dec 2013, 07:36 #6 

Mad-Monkey
Update. Gave up with sitebuilder! I decided I wanted a members a area for customers which sitebuilder doesn't cater for, so had a look at weebly but found Wix. It's pretty amazing! It's all free to use (with ads) with their odd domain prefix but you can pay about £10 a month for hosting and domain linking and it does the job. Really chuffed. Even has a huge library of stock photos for use on the sites :) sitebuilder was easy but this is even easier!

Posted 17 Dec 2013, 18:43 #7 

Trebor
Ok Dave whats the url then ?
Robs Pictures at :

Robs Car Gallery

click below to access nano website

Planning is an unnatural process, much better to just get on with things, that way failure comes as a complete surprise instead of being preceeded by a period of worry and doubt

Posted 17 Dec 2013, 23:22 #8 

Mad-Monkey
Its not live yet :)

Posted 18 Dec 2013, 20:19 #9