Water stains on Tourer load cover. by Bermudan 75 (Page 1 of 2)


User avatar
Bermudan 75
I have experienced water stains on the (extended) load cover of my Tourer.

Does anyone have any suggestions on where the water could be coming from and the remedy to prevent a reoccurrence?

I am also experiencing the accumulation of water in the spare wheel well, but I see this is more than adequately covered in the Know How Listing.

May I take this opportunity to say that the Know How Listing is a marvellous resource of information, and is a credit to those who have compiled / contributed to the listing.

:cheers:

Mike
Image

Posted 02 Aug 2010, 12:45 #1 

User avatar
cymrudragon
Rover418275 wrote:I have experienced water stains on the (extended) load cover of my Tourer.

Does anyone have any suggestions on where the water could be coming from and the remedy to prevent a reoccurrence?

I am also experiencing the accumulation of water in the spare wheel well, but I see this is more than adequately covered in the Know How Listing.

May I take this opportunity to say that the Know How Listing is a marvellous resource of information, and is a credit to those who have compiled / contributed to the listing.

:cheers:

Mike

Hello mike , i belive that the rear quarter widows leak around the seal , on some models with the sat-nav in the boot R side, i removed the inside plastic pannels on the both sides and used silicon to seal it also on the outside of the rubber between the metal of the car and the seal itself . also there is a issue with the seal around the rear lights but this is a saloon problem rather than a tourer but i run a bit of sealent around there as well . Andrew....ps do you have the shark fin arial? if so this is a point of ingress as well as the rubber rots

Posted 02 Aug 2010, 12:57 #2 

User avatar
starbug2
cymrudragon wrote:
Rover418275 wrote:I have experienced water stains on the (extended) load cover of my Tourer.

Does anyone have any suggestions on where the water could be coming from and the remedy to prevent a reoccurrence?

I am also experiencing the accumulation of water in the spare wheel well, but I see this is more than adequately covered in the Know How Listing.

May I take this opportunity to say that the Know How Listing is a marvellous resource of information, and is a credit to those who have compiled / contributed to the listing.

:cheers:

Mike

Hello mike , i belive that the rear quarter widows leak around the seal , on some models with the sat-nav in the boot R side, i removed the inside plastic pannels on the both sides and used silicon to seal it also on the outside of the rubber between the metal of the car and the seal itself . also there is a issue with the seal around the rear lights but this is a saloon problem rather than a tourer but i run a bit of sealent around there as well . Andrew....ps do you have the shark fin arial? if so this is a point of ingress as well as the rubber rots

i some times get some water on my cover but i do not have a shark fin .can not see from where the water comes from :gmc:

Posted 02 Aug 2010, 17:49 #3 

User avatar
Bermudan 75
No no sharks fin, the local Chinese restaurant used it in their soup......... :mrgreen:

What about this as a solution, take out windows and replace seals with new ones?

Cheers

Mike
Image

Posted 02 Aug 2010, 18:57 #4 

User avatar
tammyboy
Water in the boot on mine was the sunroof drain tube had come apart on the drivers side , you may not have a sunroof but a bit of trim stripping to get to get into the drains beside wheel arch . Drips on the load cover on mine were coming from rear window wash as it wasn't sealed properly at the nozzle on rear window .

Posted 03 Aug 2010, 23:37 #5 

User avatar
Dave
cymrudragon wrote:Hello mike , i belive that the rear quarter widows leak around the seal


Now that IS worrying! :mrgreen:

Posted 04 Aug 2010, 06:25 #6 

User avatar
Bermudan 75
I don't think it is the rear windows that are leaking. The water stains are inward of the load cover and forward of the handle. This leads me to believe that the leak is from the window of the tailgate.

You comments etc would be most appreciated.

Cheers

Mike :cheers:
Image

Posted 04 Aug 2010, 14:22 #7 

User avatar
jonjon77
lm having the same problem,water stains roughly in the middle of the cover.this only happens when it rains,so lve just been outside for 10min with the hose and found no trace of any water getting past the seals.it doesnt look like l will have too long to wait for some rain so l can sit in the car and find it.

jon

Posted 04 Aug 2010, 16:15 #8 

User avatar
Rammie
I had a very similar experience with mine.
The cure was to run a thin run of clear silicone seal all along the top only between the top of the rear opening window and where it closes on the rubber seal, since then, no more water coming in, great!
I think this point is a weak spot on the Tourer's.

You could also try using the following:

http://www.captaintolley.com/

Buy online or from caravan dealers
Image
Brian

Posted 04 Aug 2010, 17:47 #9 

User avatar
greeners
Penny to a pound that the glass has become detached from the frame.....or there is at least a break in it

There is a picture on the "other side" in my album. I did a temporary fix with clear silicon sealant

Posted 04 Aug 2010, 19:52 #10 

User avatar
Duncan
I get this sometimes too. It happens both sides, and if I play with the seating of the seal on the body, it stops for a while. It looks like the water sits in the channel above the tailgate and seeps through that seal.
Image

Posted 08 Aug 2010, 09:09 #11 

User avatar
Bermudan 75
As you will be aware if you have been in the Manchester area today, it absolutely poured buckets today.

Load cover has remained bone dry......... :confused:
Image

Posted 12 Aug 2010, 17:29 #12 

User avatar
jonjon77
after all the rain over the past couple of days,lve finally found the sorce of my leek.its dripping in through the rubber seal between the tailgate and the car and not the tailgate glass where l had been looking.the water only seems to get past the seal between the tailgate hinges,where the tailgate meets the seal.lwill try adjusting the seal before l order a new one

jon

Posted 03 Oct 2010, 13:14 #13 

User avatar
Zeb
jonjon77 wrote:after all the rain over the past couple of days,lve finally found the sorce of my leek.its dripping in through the rubber seal between the tailgate and the car and not the tailgate glass where l had been looking.the water only seems to get past the seal between the tailgate hinges,where the tailgate meets the seal.lwill try adjusting the seal before l order a new one

jon



Hi mate, try using some silicon based cleaner / wax on the rubber before replacing it...it usually works.. :D

Posted 03 Oct 2010, 20:37 #14 

User avatar
jonjon77
Hi mate, try using some silicon based cleaner / wax on the rubber before replacing it...it usually works.. :D[/quote]


hi carl,cheers for the tip,l never thought of trying that :thumbsup: .l will give it a try before l get a new one.suprisingly a new seal isnt that much if the cleaner fails

jon

Posted 04 Oct 2010, 10:51 #15 

User avatar
Duncan
jonjon77 wrote:after all the rain over the past couple of days,lve finally found the sorce of my leek.its dripping in through the rubber seal between the tailgate and the car and not the tailgate glass where l had been looking.the water only seems to get past the seal between the tailgate hinges,where the tailgate meets the seal.lwill try adjusting the seal before l order a new one

jon


That's exactly where mine seems to be. Play with the seals a bit and it's OK for a while, then starts again.

Must try the silicon / lubricant trick myself.
Image

Posted 04 Oct 2010, 12:05 #16 

User avatar
Jürgen
Rover418275 wrote:As you will be aware if you have been in the Manchester area today, it absolutely poured buckets today.

Load cover has remained bone dry......... :confused:

Mike, it's the same with mine. It stays dry during rainy days, but some drops of water come in when I use a car wash. There are small traces of lime at the upper break light, so it can't be rain water.
Jürgen

75ZT Community & Midlands Nano Meets & 75 & ZT Enthusiasts

Posted 04 Oct 2010, 16:54 #17 

User avatar
jonjon77
well,no amount of cleaning or adjusting would stop my seal leaking.l ordered a new one from rimmers £42 delivered and thats done the trick.

jon

Posted 09 Oct 2010, 09:50 #18 

User avatar
Duncan
Good news, have ordered one myself too.

Sorry to say it, but always worth checking Les at SMC for bits, as he sometimes has new stuff at good prices.....
Image

Posted 09 Oct 2010, 10:08 #19 

User avatar
Bermudan 75
The correct solution to this problem does appear to be the seal of the tailgate, not the tailgate window.
.
Loadcover water stains.JPG



A few weeks ago the water stains reappeared on the load cover and I discovered a droplet of water coming from the interior trim adjacent to the tailgate seal.
Tailgate water droplet.jpg


This droplet of water has only one way to go, and that is on to the load cover.

So it would appear that if you have water stains on your loadcover, it is due to a leaking tailgate seal and not the tailgate window.

What does everyone think?

Cheers :cheers:

Mike

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Image

Posted 19 Nov 2010, 13:34 #20 


Top