Water Pump K16 by WillyHeckaslike

WillyHeckaslike
Won a supposedly NEW genuine MGR water pump on eBay for my 1.8 but after close inspection I'm not convinced it's new. One cause of concern is the rubber ware that came with it: The rubber O-ring which seals the pump to the block and the rubber cap for the evaporation chamber have both been glued into place with what looks like contact adhesive. Is this standard for a genuine MGR water pump?

The reason I ask is I've seen a few K16 water pumps and actually have a new non-oem pump to compare with but the rubber ware is and always has come loose in the box, hence my suspicion about this MGR pump.

Posted 15 Mar 2012, 21:31 #1 

Tourerfogey
The pic of the genuine item below shows that the rubber seal/'O' ring should come with the pump but bagged seperately.

Posted 15 Mar 2012, 22:20 #2 

WillyHeckaslike
That is how I expected it to arrive. Just looking through eBay tonight some pumps are actually shown with the rubber ware fitted, whether glued or just loosely fitted I know not. The pump I won came in a black MGR box (box is old and tatty) and I noticed that its impeller is slightly different to the one on the generic pump which I compared it against. Genuine MGR looks to be a bit chunkier and it only has six vanes as opposed to the seven vanes on the generic.

The different impeller is not a concern but looking at your pic and the seven-vane impeller it raises the possibility of different pump manufactures being used for the genuine article. Which in turn raises the possibility of a different policy on how the rubber ware is supplied. Hmmm, what to do?

Posted 15 Mar 2012, 23:28 #3 

WillyHeckaslike
Not of concern but now of some interest. Why the change from 6 to 7 vane impeller? :scared: Does the 7-vane impeller pump better and improve engine cooling? Is one type of pump better than the other - less chance of overheat? Not seen this mentioned before. Link to pump pics: Click

Posted 16 Mar 2012, 06:17 #4