Vis motor by Gate Keeper (Page 1 of 2)

Gate Keeper
I suspect the vis motor in the V6 has had it. The drive up north last week proved quite costly although I did cover about 900 miles touring and spent exactly £210 on petrol. Acceleration was slow and the V6 was not picking up very quickly.

A couple of years ago I bought a VIS (Variable Intake System) motor from Dave and the time has come for me to swap it over.
Is there a 'how to' on changing it over? Marina Brian did point it out and I am need of guidance again.

Had I been aware of the underlying problems, I would have had it tested at the OC National Meet.

Cheers :)

Posted 14 Sep 2012, 09:42 #1 

Gate Keeper
I checked out the how to repair the actuator guide which is something I am not looking to do. I will also check out to see if the instructions are on the workshop service and repair disc I have. The software remains private.

Posted 14 Sep 2012, 10:15 #2 

takestock
you have a PM.. ;)
Photobucket = Tossers

Dave....

Posted 15 Sep 2012, 18:33 #3 

Last edited by takestock on 15 Sep 2012, 18:35, edited 1 time in total.

takestock
Hi Phil, shame you didn't know, the tester was in the boot at the lakeside meet :(
They are easy to remove/refit.
Remove electrical plug and the four screws and pull off Do you know which has failed? or do you suspect both?
Do you have spares to fit?
It is impossible to predict how long the Vis motor will last, Ben's balance motor did 4 years.
It all depends how the engine breathes. The latest refurbed Vis motors are more resilient with switches drilled and tapped and the uprated PCB (Printed Circuit Board) on the balance one. They are ultimately dependent on the enviroment they live in though.
Photobucket = Tossers

Dave....

Posted 15 Sep 2012, 18:34 #4 

Last edited by takestock on 16 Sep 2012, 08:26, edited 1 time in total.

Gate Keeper
Thanks Dave I will have a look again. I have sent you a pm. I expect I am making a mountain out of a molehill -

Phil :)

Posted 16 Sep 2012, 07:12 #5 

Duncan
I concur, the life is very variable. We had a car at the Nano today with a very recent new manifold and motors. Neither motor worked when tested! The owner was not happy one way or another.

Posted 16 Sep 2012, 19:48 #6 

Gate Keeper
Oh dear on dear!

Posted 17 Sep 2012, 15:07 #7 

pab
Dave tested mine on the 190 when I purchased it a few months ago,both the Balance and the Power were shot.He replaced them,and I caught a few pigeons on the way home.

Posted 17 Sep 2012, 19:52 #8 

Gate Keeper
pab there are 385 matches here on VIS and your photo is the most recent. I am up to about page 10 and umpteen to go. Fascinating reading. Sad old man I am :)

Posted 17 Sep 2012, 20:53 #9 

pab
A close up to add to the others then ;)

Posted 17 Sep 2012, 21:00 #10 

Gate Keeper
An even better shot :)

Posted 17 Sep 2012, 21:14 #11 

Gate Keeper
The car went in for the MOT and failed on the following:

Front anti roll bar links were perished L+R
Headlight on the drivers side was set too high.

And the following advisories:

Drivers side below rear sill showing signs of rust. (Will be treated)
Front tyres close to 4mm (Will be replaced)
Oil leak somewhere to the front of the engine. (Being investigated)

Diagnostics redone on T4 (Testbook version 4.Computer Diagnostic System): showed VIS is open all of the time and the Butterfly is not functioning. Brian had cleared all of the codes.

Knock sensor code flashed up
Low fan output.
Thermostat not connected. Why, I do not know.

The headlamp washer pump I bought was found to have packed up and the one I bought from Rotrex is in full working order. The fuse and relay for the headlight washers are working. Investigations for why the headlamp washers are not working will continue. T4 confirmed the system is enabled ( well done Brian :) ) Maybe a wiring problem?

The garage I am using I have used before and are experienced in MGR cars. They are not cheap but have always been able to get the job done. They have given me a courtesy BMW Mini whilst they work on the car. Just as well, as I have to go to Margate tomorrow.

The garage suggested I just have the worked completed to get it through its MOT and rebook an appointment to have the rest of the work done at a later date.

I suppose it could have been worse. I am determined to keep the car on the road and away from the scrappy as long as is possible :)

Posted 18 Sep 2012, 16:27 #12 

MrDoodles
I would ask why you are replacing tyres with over double the legal limit of tread (1.6mm) unless the side Walls are cracked or they're Chinese Death Rings??

Posted 18 Sep 2012, 16:52 #13 

Gate Keeper
Fair question. I have been told the tyres are perished. I will know more when I see them tomorrow evening. I am happy to take a photos for you to see. I was surprised when they told me the tyres had perished. My next comment is aimed at Bernard. If you remember you remarked about my tyres and it was not negative. As for Chinese death rings being on the car, it has never been an option. Does that answer your question Mr. Doodles?

Posted 18 Sep 2012, 17:05 #14 

Gate Keeper
MrDoodles wrote:I would ask why you are replacing tyres with over double the legal limit of tread (1.6mm) unless the side Walls are cracked or they're Chinese Death Rings??

Leading on from your question. What would you suggest I replace them with? I realise this has been discussed many times before. I would value your opinion :) What do you think?

Posted 18 Sep 2012, 17:14 #15 

MrDoodles
Gate Keeper wrote:
MrDoodles wrote:I would ask why you are replacing tyres with over double the legal limit of tread (1.6mm) unless the side Walls are cracked or they're Chinese Death Rings??

Leading on from your question. What would you suggest I replace them with? I realise this has been discussed many times before. I would value your opinion :) What do you think?

As far as tyres are concerned, always replace them with the best you can afford! :)

As the four black things you have on your car, are the only things that keep it on the road! ;)

What make/size are the tyres on the car that don't need replacing? :confused:

Posted 18 Sep 2012, 17:41 #16 

Gate Keeper
65 R 15 94V ContiEcoContact CP tyre.jpg
205/65 R15 94V

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Posted 18 Sep 2012, 18:02 #17 

MrDoodles
Gate Keeper wrote:
65 R 15 94V ContiEcoContact CP tyre.jpg
205/65 R15 94V

Continentals are as good a tyre as any out there at the moment!

Providing that they're still available (I haven't checked) no reason not to fit them again!

Edit: Just checked and they are now called "Eco Contact 5's" and are available for under £100 fitted (each) at either www.blackcircles.com or www.valuetyres.co.uk both of which offer local fitting.

Posted 18 Sep 2012, 20:21 #18 

Last edited by MrDoodles on 18 Sep 2012, 20:29, edited 1 time in total.

Gate Keeper
I had checked Continentals Contact and they are selling including fitting and VAT for about £93 each. The spare is Eco. It is the original and is no longer made. Thanks for your opinion :)

Posted 18 Sep 2012, 20:25 #19 

Gate Keeper
I have a headache and am off to bed early...night night all

Posted 18 Sep 2012, 20:26 #20