VIS Motor PCB Design by Mad-Monkey (Page 2 of 2)

Mad-Monkey
Dave kindly asked for me to resume work on these with some haste, in particular the balance VIS (Variable Intake System) so last few days I've been digging out my old work. Decided to cut the board outline today to see if it fits, saves on the prototyping costs ;)

Fits a charm, being 3mm MDF meant it was snug fit though :D

Posted 14 Jun 2012, 14:55 #21 

takestock
I don't remember saying you could stop to show is the progress :confused: :D

As always top quality Mr Monk :) :) :)
Photobucket = Tossers

Dave....

Posted 14 Jun 2012, 16:22 #22 

Mad-Monkey
PCB (Printed Circuit Board) completed, and now in manufacture. Delivery is estimated for 11th July for economical reasons. The first batch is only small for testing purposes, so once fully tested a big order will be placed as quantity discounts are quite big on PCB manufacture. :)

Posted 20 Jun 2012, 14:50 #23 

Arctic
(Trader)
I have been following this with great interest and any help that i can thow in the pot is with out saying there if needed cheers Arctic.
Pearl Firefrost
ARCTIC

Posted 26 Jun 2012, 11:50 #24 

Mad-Monkey
Cheers Steve. We're just waiting on the prototypes to come through at the moment. Fingers crossed. Thanks for the offer of help, it's appreciated! :)

Posted 26 Jun 2012, 12:00 #25 

Sjbso2000
I too have been following with interest, and now even more so now the tracks have fried on my Power VIS!

Posted 26 Jun 2012, 20:57 #26 

Mad-Monkey
Today they arrived! :-D

They look good even if I say so myself! Nothing like black solder mask, silver pads, and white silkscreen! :lol:

[centre]Image

Image[/centre]

I'm not going to lie, it was a good feeling assembling and testing, and then finding out they fit, and work first time! Not bad being done by eye!

[centre]Image

Image[/centre]

Dave has ten of these prototypes for assembly and distribution winging their way over to him. With his approval I'll move to bulk production. This is only the balance PCB, the power is still a WIP.

A couple of notes so far from my assemble and testing...

1. Recycling the old microswitches from old boards is a no go. They don't fit! The new ones ordered from RS fit perfect (as they are suppose to ;) ) they are tight, and for the OTT'ers you can use a drop of epoxy glue. They wont move in a bomb blast.

2. The pins are snug as well. All the solder must be removed from the old pins to assemble them to the new boards. If any is left you cant push the pins in and risk causing some damage. That said this method is preferred as soldering is easier if the pins dont move around!

3. We need a supplier for pins! I'm still running quotes in excess of £3-5k!

Posted 09 Jul 2012, 22:33 #27 

Mad-Monkey
BTW... Anyone have a good case top for a balance VIS? I would like a good one for my prototype to keep up in my little portfolio of stuff!

Posted 09 Jul 2012, 22:36 #28 

Mick
(Site Admin)
Congratulations David, a minor work of art.

Posted 09 Jul 2012, 22:37 #29 

Mad-Monkey
Cheers Mick, I quite like them as display pieces :)

Posted 09 Jul 2012, 22:38 #30 

Mad-Monkey
Hold the phone... Just had a quote come through for the large pins that form the connection to the engine harness. Marginal tooling cost of a few hundred and the pins come in at under 50p each. Any good to anyone? They do sound like they will need a bit of finishing as they are stated to have a cusp around the edge.

They will be made from Brass. Good idea, bad idea? Need some input chaps

Posted 11 Jul 2012, 14:33 #31 

Duncan
I think you will need to look at some kind of plating to prevent problems with contact resistance on the feedback circuits. Probably only needs to be nickel.

To get the edges off, the kind of device for tumbling pebbles to make them shiny would probably do the business. Not that I've tried it but it should be cheap to try.

Posted 11 Jul 2012, 17:44 #32 

Mad-Monkey
They will nickel plate them if it's required. I'm sending them a sample for a more accurate price so I'll keep you all posted :)

Posted 12 Jul 2012, 12:06 #33 

Sjbso2000
Excellent work, very impressive. Please keep posting your progress.

Posted 14 Jul 2012, 11:45 #34 

Mad-Monkey
[centre]Ver 1.3!!

It's here at last! Tested and ready to roll out! I'll take some better photos when my camera has defrosted from being in the boot!! :)

Image[/centre]

Posted 29 Nov 2012, 12:02 #35 

takestock
Hmmmm Sexy. ;)
Photobucket = Tossers

Dave....

Posted 29 Nov 2012, 16:28 #36 

Arctic
(Trader)
Monk wrote:[centre]Ver 1.3!!

It's here at last! Tested and ready to roll out! I'll take some better photos when my camera has defrosted from being in the boot!! :)

Image[/centre]

Hi Dave & Dave
Great work i will be contacting you both shortley Dave(Monk) for my second key what we spoke about at Rastlins, Dave (Takestock) to send you two vis thet i have just taken off the conni i had and would like these new PCB boards fitted please and maybe Dave if you have time also fitted with the self testing Pin will send you an email Xmas is coming up ;) and the Scotsman as been about for 12-18 years :thumbsup:
Pearl Firefrost
ARCTIC

Posted 30 Nov 2012, 00:37 #37 

Last edited by Arctic on 20 Jan 2013, 02:39, edited 1 time in total.

Jezzer 1
If you need any, I have a stock of the correct solid state relays used on the boards.

I started this route a while ago, but it stopped when I couldn't trace the exact motors used.

I also got quotes for the PCB manufacture, based on 100 off boards,at £1.65 a board.

Posted 18 Jan 2013, 15:14 #38