Virgin Media come up trumps... OR NOT by raistlin

raistlin
Not often I have a good word for VM but in this case...

It was suggested that I should talk to their retentions department and see if I could get a better deal.

Now, I pay 18 pence per month less, we will have a new TIVO box, the V+ box will be installed for a second TV and, best for me, broadband speed is doubled to 120MB :)

All for the effort of a (free) phone call.
Paul

Cogito ergo sum... maybe?

Click the image to go to Nano-Meet Website

Posted 17 Aug 2013, 15:42 #1 

Last edited by raistlin on 22 Aug 2013, 15:49, edited 1 time in total.

dattrike
120MB :-o :mrgreen: I'm lucky to get 1.5MB Sky must still be using semaphore!!
I can only dream...

Posted 17 Aug 2013, 18:40 #2 

Bermudan 75
dattrike wrote:120MB :-o :mrgreen: I'm lucky to get 1.5MB Sky must still be using semaphore!!
I can only dream...

Luxury! we dream of having a semaphore, we make do with piece of taut string tied to two tin cans supplied by BT.

Cheers

Mike

Posted 18 Aug 2013, 08:25 #3 

persuer
Happy days Paul.

Posted 19 Aug 2013, 20:16 #4 

guru
Sadly in the middle of the Norfolk Broads we just about get 4mbs, and I'm lucky to get that!
2003 MG ZT-T 190 with LPG!
1991 Rover mk1c Rover Sterling
2004 mk2 MG ZS 180 with LPG

Posted 19 Aug 2013, 22:56 #5 

raistlin
Well... Virgin Media sales staff are not to be trusted :mad1:

That's the second time I've been lied to by their sales staff. Unfortunately, the first time I had no record so I couldn't do much about it. This time I recorded the conversation, so it's a different situation.

I got my contract today for the change of services as per my first post in this thread. I looked at the services to be provided, the start date and the monthly cost and all seemed in order. On second glance though, in small letters, the price was annotated with "Promotional period"

After very close scrutiny, I eventually found that after the "promotional period", the monthly price would rocket.

Now, that was all in the contract so you'd wonder why I feel ripped off and lied to. The reason is, in a nutshell, that I was told by the sales rep that I would not have to pay anymore than the price he quoted me for as long as I kept the same services.

I enquired further to ensure that there were no clauses escalating the price or anything of that nature and was told "No".

Being fully aware of the way in which misinterpretation can easily cause problems, I then asked the sales rep quite a few more questions such that, what might have been open to misinterpretation given his answer to my initial question was then left beyond doubt.

I spoke to VM customer services today, after I received the contract document and explained how I felt shoddily treated and that I'd been lied to and the person on the other end of the phone warned me to be careful about calling somebody a liar and insisted that one of THEIR sales staff would NEVER tell lies. He also told me "I have to warn you that this call is being recorded and that your comments so far could be used as evidence of libel." Hmm.. first of all, it would be slander, not libel but there you go. I hear the protestations of barrack-room lawyers all the time.

Anyway, immediately following this statement I told him that curiously enough, I had made a recording of my conversation with the sales rep because I didn't trust them having been lied to before.

The conversation sort of dried up at that point. A few seconds later I heard "Oh... did you tell him that you were recording the conversation?" not that it has any bearing whether I did or not :)

I was then asked what I wanted to happen to resolve the situation and I said that I wanted the deal I had been verbally offered. Not a chance of that, of course.

So I told him to cancel the change of contract and that I would be investigating what other providers could do and to expect cancellation of all my services in the near future.

Do you know? He really wasn't bothered. In fact he sounded bored, so much so that I believe he hears much the same sort of complaint many times in a day and it seems to me that this is acceptable sales practice for VM sales staff. If I hadn't scrutinized the contract document I would have gone blithely on, thinking they'd given me a good deal.

In fact, the slimy reprobate of a sales rep even told me, when I said how surprised I was with the deal he had just offered me, that it was a special deal he was able to put together for me as I was a loyal customer of many years standing. The chap I spoke to today said that was not the case, it was just a standard contract which, as he confirmed, had the same promotional price whether the customer was new or old.

So, there you have it. A VM sales rep told me a pack of lies and he is not to be called to account for his actions. Ergo, by inference, telling the customer downright lies is acceptable practice for VM sales staff.

I'll be asking a solicitor who is a long-standing friend to have a listen to the recording and examine the contract document to see if there is anything further to be done.

Now, I'm not cynical enough to think that all VM sales reps are tarred with the same brush, neither am I naive enough to think that any other provider would be any different so, if I can't find a better deal, I'll remain on my present contract, pragmatism always being, in my view, the best way forward.

However, had this distasteful incident not occurred, I would not be looking for an alternative. :(

Based upon my observations, I would recommend that anybody considering masking use of VM as a service provider might think again or scrutinize any offerings very closely.
Paul

Posted 22 Aug 2013, 16:40 #6 

DaveyC
I'm with Vermin Media and was also conned like this. we had a great deal for about 12 months then its more than trebled doubled in the following 18 months.

Never trust a word they say.

Posted 22 Aug 2013, 17:38 #7 

Mick
(Site Admin)
Different provider............ When changing the terms of my contract with BT recently the overall price for the same service halved without any caveats other than at the end of the contract period I should call and renew the package, or the price would be hiked again.
I wonder if you can do similar should you continue with VM?

BTW they tried to charge me £50.00 for changing package while I was still in contract, that being the balance due for 2 months. One quick call and the fee was waived as I had not been advised that I would incur a charge. I was then duly charged by DD that amount. Another quick call and pointing out my previous conversation, which had been logged, I received a refund to my bank within 2 days.

All in all I have been very satisfied with BT £13.00 a month for 8Meg line of which I generally get 6.75. As I am no great hurry for anything to be downloaded and the line speed is perfectly good for streaming HD video that speed is fine. Just as well, as there are no faster options available here. :( And in my experience they have been fair, honest and truthful. Could be a first for a utilities provider. :D

Posted 22 Aug 2013, 17:55 #8 

raistlin
DaveyC wrote:I'm with Vermin Media and was also conned like this. we had a great deal for about 12 months then its more than trebled doubled in the following 18 months.

Luckily, once bitten twice shy, I was able to cancel this time. The first time they lied to me I was not so lucky but in a roundabout way managed to get my own back.

Unfortunately, it is now clear from my web research that nobody else even comes close on broadband speed :( Even my present, somewhat pedestrian 60MB is on a par with the best offerings from elsewhere.
Paul

Posted 22 Aug 2013, 18:29 #9 

Last edited by raistlin on 22 Aug 2013, 19:22, edited 1 time in total.

MrDoodles
Just as an aside, I've been Virgin Media since 1995 (with good old dial-up) and have to be fair, that in the main, I've been pleased with the service that I've received! :)

However, I am in the process of moving to BT and have to say that at the moment, the customer service has been absolutely shocking! :(

I'm only moving to them because Dorna sold them the sole rights to air MotoGP in the UK next year and have to admit that at the moment, I'd wished that I'd simply paid another £5 a month on my Sky subscription to view it instead! :(

Posted 22 Aug 2013, 19:09 #10 

DaveyC
raistlin wrote:
DaveyC wrote:I'm with Vermin Media and was also conned like this. we had a great deal for about 12 months then its more than trebled doubled in the following 18 months.

Luckily, once bitten twice shy, I was able to cancel this time. The first time they lied to me I was not so lucky but in a roundabout way managed to get my own back.

Unfortunately, it is now clear from my web research that nobody else even comes close on broadband speed :( Even my present, somewhat pedestrian 60MB is on a par with the best offerings from elsewhere.

I,ve been on their"120mb" service for a number of months now. I rarely get above 10mb. Normally 6 to 8mb. They want shooting for such wild claims. We are extremely well served with their actual infrastructure but the actual speed is nothing like is claimed. However, they are a better provider than others (my mom who is 77, has been with several providers and has gone back to Vermin).

Posted 23 Aug 2013, 07:40 #11