Views on IE9 please? by raistlin

• Related topics: (no related topics)

raistlin
As a dyed in the wool Firefox user, it pains me to say this, but they've really gone adrift :( Even the latest version is diabolical. Some web pages, which open instantaneously in IE, either never open or open after a period of MINUTES, so I'm thinking of giving IE9 a try.

Any views please?
Paul

Cogito ergo sum... maybe?

Click the image to go to Nano-Meet Website

Posted 14 Nov 2011, 20:36 #1 

Duncan
Been using it quite happilly for a while, but then I've always used IE.

I much prefer it over IE7 I use at work. Can't say I have anything against it, though sometimes you have to think where some of the controls are.

Posted 14 Nov 2011, 20:49 #2 

Dallas
Sorry! I have not tried IE9 yet.

I found Foxy to be the same and Google Chrome would only crash, so I switched to Opera 2 years ago and its faultless. Currently on Opera 11 which is meant to be the fastest browser alive, packed with its own password manager which is super user friendly with just one click.

Also has built in Turbo....... :-o

Go give it a try...... :thumbsup:

Posted 14 Nov 2011, 20:56 #3 

JohnDotCom
IE9 is a vast improvement over 7 & 8, it really is their best effort yet.
BUT some odd sites don't seem to fully integrate with it.
John

"My lovely car now sold onto a very happy new owner.
I still love this marque and I will still be around, preferred selling to breaking, as a great runner and performer"

Posted 15 Nov 2011, 10:32 #4 

raistlin
OK chaps, getting on quite well with IE9 now :)

One further piece of advice please. What is the best automatic spell checker to integrate with it?

Thanks
Paul

Posted 15 Nov 2011, 15:01 #5 

Bernard
raistlin wrote:OK chaps, getting on quite well with IE9 now :)

One further piece of advice please. What is the best automatic spell checker to integrate with it?

Thanks

Your brain, I would hope. :gmc:
I don't like signatures, they take up too much screen space.

Posted 16 Nov 2011, 18:36 #6 

JohnDotCom
"ieSpell" works quite nicely but not fully integrated as you have to click on a button on the IE taskbar.
http://iespell.com/
John

I still love this marque and I will still be around, preferred selling to breaking, as a great runner and performer"

Posted 16 Nov 2011, 18:41 #7 

Duncan
Problem is that spell checkers give you a false sense of confidence, and you don't spot the problems they have missed until it's tool ate.

Posted 16 Nov 2011, 18:48 #8 

JohnDotCom
How very true Duncan. ;)
John

Posted 16 Nov 2011, 18:50 #9 

Bernard
Duncan wrote:Problem is that spell checkers give you a false sense of confidence, and you don't spot the problems they have missed until it's tool ate.

Forums generally need a checker to differentiate between 'break' and 'brake', 'brought' and 'bought' and 'of' and 'have'. I've seen these misused so many times now that I'm beginning to believe that it's me getting it wrong.

Posted 16 Nov 2011, 18:57 #10 

Dave
Duncan wrote:Problem is that spell checkers give you a false sense of confidence, and you don't spot the problems they have missed until it's tool ate.

I see what you did then!!!

Posted 16 Nov 2011, 19:13 #11 

Dave
Bernard wrote:Forums generally need a checker to differentiate between 'break' and 'brake', 'brought' and 'bought' and 'of' and 'have'. I've seen these misused so many times now that I'm beginning to believe that it's me getting it wrong.

Three of my pet hates there, not sure which is the most hated! Actually probably the of/have one (well, I would of gone for one of the others but I didn't want to brake the rules that I was bought up by.... :mrgreen: )

Posted 16 Nov 2011, 19:16 #12 

raistlin
I tend to use auto spell chek as a quick guide to obvious typos ;)

My brain is a somewhat atrophied appendage that I don't tend to use very often Bernard.
Paul

Posted 16 Nov 2011, 19:49 #13 

Bernard
Dave wrote:Three of my pet hates there, not sure which is the most hated! Actually probably the of/have one (well, I would of gone for one of the others but I didn't want to brake the rules that I was bought up by.... :mrgreen: )

Do you know that I had to read that twice to see the faults? I am now so inured to them.

Posted 16 Nov 2011, 21:44 #14 

raistlin
Hmm...

IE9 appears to have a life of its own :(

It doesn't seem to matter where I tell IE9 to put toolbars or to download stuff, it then decides to do things the way IT wants to.

Has anybody else seen this bizarre behaviour please? Better still, does anybody know how to convince it that IT doesn't always know best? :lol:
Paul

Posted 23 Nov 2011, 20:19 #15 

raistlin
Can Micro$oft NEVER get anything right?

Apparently it's well known that the 64-bit version of IE9 has a broken Javascript engine :(

Oh well - Firefox 9 seems OK... at the moment.
Paul

Posted 27 Nov 2011, 20:07 #16 

Duncan
Broken in what way? I'm using 64 bit and don't see any java problems I know of.

Posted 27 Nov 2011, 20:12 #17 

raistlin
Duncan wrote:Broken in what way? I'm using 64 bit and don't see any java problems I know of.

No idea of the technicalities Duncan but reported widely on the 'net - HERE for example.

It would also explain the javascript problem I and many others have had when trying to use the "organize favourites" option.
Paul

Posted 27 Nov 2011, 20:47 #18 

JohnDotCom
I concur with Duncan, no problems using Win 7 X64 bit at all with IE9.
Just had a quick look on Microsoaft System Builders site and nothing you say Paul is appearing much, problems with memory usage on Firefox, is a different thing though.

I get a memory warning and to close problems as 512mb is being used...Crazy I have 64GB Ram, think its a fault with AVG 64 bit as it still runs fine if you just close warning box and continue as is. :confused:
John

Posted 29 Nov 2011, 15:46 #19 

Duncan
JohnDotCom wrote:
I get a memory warning and to close problems as 512mb is being used...Crazy I have 64GB Ram, think its a fault with AVG 64 bit as it still runs fine if you just close warning box and continue as is. :confused:

Yes, I get the same with their security suite. I can't find where to tell it not to worry as I have plenty of memory and don't mind it using a few MBs.

Posted 29 Nov 2011, 22:44 #20