Video editing software and hardware by Duncan

Duncan
Having got a nice full HD video camera under the tree, I think my pinnacle studio 9SE is going to be insufficient.

So does anyone have any first hand experience of any good, HD, video editing software. Don't want to break the bank, but suspect I may need to upgrade my desktop hardware so would be interested to know your HW platform (windows based) you run on.

I could go for Pinnacle studio 14 as I can get an upgrade (I think) as I have registered copies of 9 and 10 (both SE). However earler versions have been very buggy and crashed regularly, 14 seems to have similar mixed reviews, and support seems as bad as ever.

Adobe premiere elements seems a better option, but will cost me three times as much. However it seems less fussy when it comes to machine specs.

I will be editing full HD video, and eventually will want to burn to BluRay.

So, anyone got any experience?

Posted 28 Dec 2010, 19:07 #1 

Mad-Monkey
I built my current PC for HD video editing, however it ended up being stupidly expensive! I was going to go for Adobe Premiere mainly as I can get it on a student license far far cheaper than the retail. When I looked into it originally, the editing is very CPU and Ram intensive so to aim a pc around these, and make sure you have HDD space for dumping the film to the PC and then editing and saving to Bluray later.

Posted 28 Dec 2010, 20:25 #2 

James.uk
I use:- Cyberlink Power Director 8 --- and save edited videos as mpeg2, but you can save to any format you like really..

I am on WinXP pro SP3

Duel core, pentium 2.70 ghz .. 4 GIG ram

C/ 150 gig -- D/ 300 gig both SATA.. and a 500 gig remote drive via USB2

I think serious (huge files 50 gig etc) video stuff is better done on a unit connected to a TV, with VHS, DD and CD capabilities but that's just my opinion..

I try to keep my PC video files under a gig in size by splitting bigger files up. Otherwise my PC can slow down if i am doing a lot of editing on a large file.

Posted 28 Dec 2010, 22:16 #3 

Last edited by James.uk on 28 Dec 2010, 22:28, edited 1 time in total.

Duncan
James.uk wrote:I use:- Cyberlink Power Director 8 --- and save edited videos as mpeg2, but you can save to any format you like really..

I am on WinXP pro SP3

Duel core, pentium 2.70 ghz .. 4 GIG ram

C/ 150 gig -- D/ 300 gig both SATA.. and a 500 gig remote drive via USB2

Now that's interesting as the PC is similar to the spec I have. Processor and RAM upgrade and I'd be there.

Do you work with full HD video? I'm talking about full 1080P source. Can you export to Blu Ray? That seems to be missing in some software, for example it's only in Pinnacle studio 14 ultimate, not standard.

I'll have a look at the cyberlink site.

Posted 28 Dec 2010, 22:27 #4 

JohnDotCom
I use Adobe Premiere Pro CS5 which is excellent but can be expensive if not upgrading. See: http://www.platosoftware.co.uk/products ... -p316.html
You need a fairly decent PC for HD editing, I'm using a Intel i7 3.06ghz with 16GB Ram and 2 x 1.5TB hard drives with decent Graphics card and a Blu Ray writer.
Can recommend to anyone as doing most things.
Just glad to be back in front of it some of the time now.
John

"My lovely car now sold onto a very happy new owner.
I still love this marque and I will still be around, preferred selling to breaking, as a great runner and performer"

Posted 28 Dec 2010, 22:31 #5 

James.uk
Erm.. Dunno what Blue ray is? sorry --

Not done any HD as I normally work in the internet formats Divx Mpeg2 mpeg4 WMV files etc but I can save to HD (I think) so I imagine it's possible. :)

Posted 28 Dec 2010, 22:36 #6