V6 190 headgaskets by TyphoonTT

• Related topics: (no related topics)

TyphoonTT
Evening guys.

Hoping for your advice please.

Took my car to Austingarages last month on the Friday before the POL weekend. Nick noticed mayo under my oil filler cap. I've been checking the water and filler cap regularly since, and still getting the mayo, and loosing a small amount of water. Usual places have been checked for leaks with nothing evident.

I do a few short journeys in the week, but almost always have a good run out at least once a week.

Would a compression test be the best thing to check for headgasket failure at this stage. Are there any other things to rule out?

Not panicing . . . . . . . . . yet. :panic:

Posted 22 May 2011, 20:48 #1 

JohnDotCom
Short runs does sometimes cause mayo from condensation etc but a healthy long run generally removes it.
Keep an eye on the water levels in the meantime.

I'm sure our Petrol Head Gurus will be along to assist/advise shortly.
John

"My lovely car now sold onto a very happy new owner.
I still love this marque and I will still be around, preferred selling to breaking, as a great runner and performer"

Posted 23 May 2011, 10:40 #2 

RRobson
it is more common for the v6's to go the other way. i mean exhaust gases entering into the coolant system rather than the other way around.
you are probably more than aware that many short journeys will create a build up of moisture in the filler cap, but after a couple of good runs should clear.
things to rule out are:

- check thermostat between the vee for leaks
- check main coolant pipes / rad / water pump etc for leaks
- change the coolant bottle cap

all these just to rule out hgf. coolant could be leaking else where so its also a good idea to remove the sump guard, take for a run and place some cardboard under the engine bay to catch any drips should there be any. if everything comes back as clean there are two tests you can do, get a compression test, and a coolant test (where it is tested for exhaust gases).
Tools available to local members

Injector removal tool
Auto gearbox pressure test tool
Vis tester

Posted 23 May 2011, 21:32 #3 

TyphoonTT
Cheers Reece. Had checked those items, and hadn't been using any water until last month, so it's all Nick's fault for notcing the filler cap. :lol:

I guess I'll just keep up with the checks until I find the leak. Car has only just clicked over 60k, so hoping it's not HGF (Head Gasket Failure).

Ben :)

Posted 24 May 2011, 16:31 #4 

RRobson
not trying to dis-hearten you, but hg went at 56k on mine... (due to very poor maintenance and the way it had been looked after previously)

you will know if its hgf because it will suddenly start using lots of water, start pushing water out of the filler cap before its properly warm and give the cooling system a very distinct petrol smell. i wouldnt worry for now, because i doubt it is. just keep checking as you say, but could even be something like the water pump.

on a lighter note regarding hgf, as long as you keep the system topped up, you can still drive about as normal (i did over 300 miles before it seriously overheated because i forgot to put the coolant bottle cap on...) so its not undrivable like the 1.8's

Injector removal tool
Vis tester

Posted 24 May 2011, 22:14 #5 

TyphoonTT
RRobson wrote:not trying to dis-hearten you, but hg went at 56k on mine... (due to very poor maintenance and the way it had been looked after previously)

you will know if its hgf because it will suddenly start using lots of water, start pushing water out of the filler cap before its properly warm and give the cooling system a very distinct petrol smell. i wouldnt worry for now, because i doubt it is. just keep checking as you say, but could even be something like the water pump.

on a lighter note regarding hgf, as long as you keep the system topped up, you can still drive about as normal (i did over 300 miles before it seriously overheated because i forgot to put the coolant bottle cap on...) so its not undrivable like the 1.8's

The car didn't appear to have been particularly well cared for when I got it at 38k. No service history, clutch and lower engine mount shot. Feel a bit silly paying what I did in hindsight, but that was over 3 years ago, and I wanted it bad! :panic: Since then it's had belt kit, water pump, and been serviced regularly including thorough inspections by Nick at Austingarages, plus a fortune on extras! :lol:

I probably am over reacting, but just wanted a little more info, which you've kindly supplied.

Thanks!

Ben.

Posted 25 May 2011, 18:42 #6 

RRobson
as said, just keep an eye on it. keep checking the colour of your oil and the level of the water. when my hg was done, the water pump used was a very poor quality, and actually came away off the block. so 6 month later the pump had to be done again. so if a poor quality pump was used, it may be leaking, and its dificult to see if it is. luckily, the pump was leaking so badly in my case i could narrow it down.
also look at the pipes that run across the front of the car behind the bumper as these can corrode and dont tend to be checked very often.
other than that, take it for a really good run (at least 30 miles) not revving is bag off, but using most of the rev range every now and then to get the engine working and oil flowing. you could also give it an oil change just to definitly make sure as there could be some moisture suspended in the oil.

Injector removal tool
Vis tester

Posted 26 May 2011, 22:35 #7 

TyphoonTT
Well, things not looking good. :cry: Losing more coolant than before, and filler cap along with top of engine is now covered in white gunge. Engine also tapping loudly on start up for the first few seconds, and misbehaving whilst driving. What to do. :gmc:

Posted 15 Aug 2011, 21:06 #8 

Mick
(Site Admin)
Stop driving it for a kick off. You will end with a seriously dead engine. :(

Posted 15 Aug 2011, 21:07 #9 

JohnDotCom
That doesn't sound good at all and Micks suggestion should be seriously undertaken.
A tow or use a recovery service (AA or RAC) to get you back to Austin Garages for head gasket test, repairs etc.
John

"My lovely car now sold onto a very happy new owner.
I still love this marque and I will still be around, preferred selling to breaking, as a great runner and performer"

Posted 15 Aug 2011, 22:04 #10 

TyphoonTT
Agreed. Compression test organised for later this week. :(

Posted 15 Aug 2011, 23:00 #11 

TyphoonTT
Well, had a friend come round and help take the top off today.

001.JPG

002.JPG

003.JPG

Hoping it's just the seperators being clogged, and short runs that have caused this. Cams looked clean.

Time will tell I guess. :confused:

Thermostat leaking well, so replacing that along with all inlet manifold gaskets.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Posted 02 Oct 2011, 20:16 #12 

Trebor
any updates Ben ?
Robs Pictures at :

Robs Car Gallery

click below to access nano website

Planning is an unnatural process, much better to just get on with things, that way failure comes as a complete surprise instead of being preceeded by a period of worry and doubt

Posted 04 Oct 2011, 22:28 #13 

TyphoonTT
Hi Rob. Really hoping to be able to put it all back together tomorrow.

Does anyone know if the red and black plastic pipe locking collars can be removed from the cam covers please?

Posted 14 Oct 2011, 15:10 #14 

TyphoonTT
Well, car back together and running without incident today. Have done a few miles, and breathers completely dry after, whereas before they had a good deal of water in. Filler cap dry, and water level settling, so looking promising so far.

Tappet noise no longer happening, so relieved at the moment. :thumbsup:

Posted 22 Oct 2011, 16:27 #15 

Mick
(Site Admin)
Good show Ben, very pleased for you. :)

Posted 22 Oct 2011, 16:33 #16 

takestock
Hope all is OK Ben.
Photobucket = Tossers

Dave....

Posted 22 Oct 2011, 18:02 #17 

TyphoonTT
It was all going so well. :(

Oil and water are fine, but big yellow engine light has just appeared , and it's running like a poorly dog.

I'm guessing coil packs are first to swap?

Then what? :em:

Thanks.

Posted 24 Nov 2011, 20:21 #18