Using a thinner oil, would it be ok by baconbuttyman

• Related topics: (no related topics)

baconbuttyman
I have had a noisy lifter for a while now, last about half a mile till engin is warm then quietens down. Tried all sorts to stop it, new oil (3 times), wynnes lifter shuteruperer etc, nowt works, ok i know is goes after a min or two, but it's a real bug bear.
some on mentions on the OC that 40/5 oil may sort it as its thinner oil and has cleaning properties in it, would it be ok to run Jennifer on this oil for a month or two to see if it works. i dont want to damage the engine,
To se our club merchandise, click here http://www.mgr-forums.com/index.php/shopping

Posted 08 May 2012, 08:06 #1 

Duncan
I have no experience of this, but logic suggests to me if the car has a thicker oil specified, then using a thinner oil is not a good idea as oil pressure might end up too low to do the job properly.

BTW all oils have detergent / cleaning properties as far as I know.

Posted 08 May 2012, 08:52 #2 

baconbuttyman
yeah i thought that but wanted to know what you guys thought
To se our club merchandise, click here http://www.mgr-forums.com/index.php/shopping

Posted 08 May 2012, 16:38 #3 

James.uk
Why not take the rocker cover off and see if you can find the cause of the noise.. :)

Posted 09 May 2012, 17:33 #4 

JohnDotCom
Mobil 1 is 0/40 and had that grade of oil in car from first service no problem.
John

"My lovely car now sold onto a very happy new owner.
I still love this marque and I will still be around, preferred selling to breaking, as a great runner and performer"

Posted 09 May 2012, 19:00 #5 

Gate Keeper
What does it say in the MGR manual?

Posted 09 May 2012, 23:13 #6 

Duncan
Gate Keeper wrote:What does it say in the MGR manual?

10W40, rather than 0W40. However Mobil's website says 0W40 is fine for the diesels at least, in spite of MGR saying 10W40.

Posted 10 May 2012, 07:07 #7 

Gate Keeper
Thanks Duncan. I could not remember and I don't have access to the manual as I am away.

If Mobile are happy with 0W40 then clearly that is the way to go.

Posted 10 May 2012, 07:24 #8 

cdtman
Hi, I have been running on Carlube 5w40 fully synthethic oil for 3 yrs with no problem .

Posted 22 May 2012, 20:31 #9