Used Laptop Advice by zojosc

zojosc
I'm looking to purchase a used laptop as a second to my desk computer so that I can be more mobile with it. I don't want anything for gaming but want something that is pretty quick that I can watch DVD's and perhaps hook up to the tv for iplayer etc. I think windows XP would be my prefered running gear. I have very little knowledge about laptops so I would be grateful of any advice as to ones to look for or avoid etc. I guess my highest budget would be about £180.
Cheers guys
"Keep Smilin'"
Andy

Posted 22 Mar 2013, 12:47 #1 

ceedy
We have a fairly old ..Fuji Amilo , and it pretty good/fast for most things ..

Just using it as an example of a spec .. its only got a 1.6 Dual core cpu /2gb ram.. but I popped in a 60gb SSD and it really does fly..

So don't reckon you would need much more ??? , I personally don't see the need for vast HD's on laptops, as keeping too much important stuff on a lappy is too risky .. just use an external Drive for the " never to loose stuff" ..
have fun ...

Chris
Got one for Me , Then one for her, and now a big one for me again, All BLOO! Well saves on the touch up paint, Now Number one son's Spoilt it all by getting a Firefrost 1.8T

Posted 24 Mar 2013, 10:28 #2 

Duncan
I recently bought an HP NC6320 on recommendation from someone who has one. Under £100 and runs XP very nicely.

The one I got looked as though it were new, apart from a scratch on the lid, so well chuffed.

Some of the Dell D series business laptops are also good. The widescreen D620 D630 have a bit of an issue with graphics cards on the motherboard, as do many other machines of that age, but D610s for example are robust machines too. I've been impressed with my studio 1737 which runs windows 7. Not the build quality of the business machines, but now it has an SSD drive i's really quite fast. The screen is LED (Light Emitting Diode) too, so that and the SSD mean the battery life is great though the original did need replacing after two years of daily use!

Personally I'd never buy another Sony PC of any flavour, though that's more to do with what happens if you ever need support with them.

Posted 24 Mar 2013, 10:45 #3 

zojosc
Thank you fellas for your input. I have now purchased a HP6910p with 2 x 2.0GHZ Intel processer with 80GB HDD and 4GB memory and I am really chuffed at the moment.
Thanks again for taking the time to give me your views but the downside is I may pop up on here more often! :)
"Keep Smilin'"
Andy

Posted 29 Mar 2013, 17:07 #4 

Duncan
We've just got a very similar one at work. Very well equipped if it's the same one, though I've not yet had chance to properly get my paws on it.

Posted 29 Mar 2013, 18:53 #5 

zojosc
Duncan wrote:We've just got a very similar one at work. Very well equipped if it's the same one, though I've not yet had chance to properly get my paws on it.

Are you sure your not thinking of your secretary? ;)
"Keep Smilin'"
Andy

Posted 29 Mar 2013, 19:01 #6