Unread posts / New posts by SpongeBob

SpongeBob
Looking through the statistical data for the board I am intrigued by the use of the two functions named "Unread Posts" and "New Posts". There is a certain trend which has me slightly worried and I believe it's simply to do with familiarity. Over on vBulletin boards the "New Posts" button always gave you a list of threads that contained unread posts but this functionality is not duplicated on phpBB forum software - in order to utilise this you must click on the "Unread Posts" link instead.

I don't mean to patronise or to insult peoples intelligence but I feel I need to explain the two functions because I don't believe they are labelled correctly. Unfortunately, due to the limited space in the left-hand column, any other description would be too long (unless someone has a suggestion?)

• Unread Posts
    This link searches through all the forums and finds all topics that contain posts you haven't yet read. Any topics found are listed in chronological order with the most recently updated topic at the top of the list. Click on the little orange box next to the topic title to take you straight to the first unread post in the topic in question.

This link takes all topics that have been newly created since you last logged in and lists them in chronological order, with the most recently updated at the top. This list of topics may contain unread posts in some topics but crucially it will not show you any older topics that may have been updated whilst you have been offline.

I hope that might make things clearer as to what the two functions do. Of course, if anyone has any questions then just ask! :)

Posted 05 Oct 2010, 20:09 #1 

Bernard
That's fair enough but what actually defines an 'Active topic'?
I don't like signatures, they take up too much screen space.

Posted 06 Oct 2010, 09:21 #2 

Mad-Monkey
It's probably me ruining your statistical data. I must click new posts 10000 times a day.

Posted 06 Oct 2010, 10:02 #3 

SpongeBob
Bernard wrote:That's fair enough but what actually defines an 'Active topic'?

An active topic is one that has been viewed or posted into within the last six months period.

Posted 06 Oct 2010, 10:11 #4 

Bernard
SpongeBob wrote:
Bernard wrote:That's fair enough but what actually defines an 'Active topic'?

An active topic is one that has been viewed or posted into within the last six months period.

But pressing 'active topics' at the moment it doesn't show, for example, the current topic 'Unauthorised parking' :confused:

This is why I have not been able to see the logic of it in the past.
I'm quite willing to concede that it's me.
I don't like signatures, they take up too much screen space.

Posted 06 Oct 2010, 11:07 #5 

SpongeBob
In that case I too am confused. :(

I'll look into it more deeply as I must admit I don't use the active topics link myself.

Posted 06 Oct 2010, 12:59 #6