Under Bonnet Pump by MrB

MrB
I am aware of the problems with the under bonnet pump on the CDT's. My question is this. My pump appeared to fail, it had been noisy for a while, 10 months ish, but had always worked. Then suddenly it failed one day at work. No amount of whacking it got it going. It just suddently whirred into action after a few more tries of the ignition, with no further taps.

Once running, I ran it over to a garage I know and trust and we fitted a known good used one. This replacement pump is lovely and quiet and gave a much smoother tick over once fitted. Job done, I thought.

But then today after a quick, just before it closes, trip round my local Tesco's, it wouldn't start again. I gave it a good whacking and kept trying the ignition to get it to purr into life, with no joy. Eventually after 10 - 15 mins of trying it did start up and we were off. The starter wasn't lazy or anything so am sure the battery is good and strong. Also I had just under half of diesel and my in tank pump is working fine.

Now this pump is very quiet when running, so I feel its good. Do I have an electrical gremlin rather than a failed UBP? How do I check? Am loathe to throw another £90 or so pounds at it, if it isn't the fault.

Thanks in advance
Chris
Member No. 143
Mods so far: LED sidelights, interior lights and number plate lamps, Rover Xenon Headlights, Kenlowe Fan, Synergy 2 and EGR Bypass

Posted 30 Oct 2011, 22:59 #1 

Bermudan 75
I am no expert on these cars, but I do wonder if it is the cam sensor?

On 2 occasions my car would not start, after running just minutes earlier, was diagnosed as possible cam sensor. I did not replace the sensor as the fault only occured twice. The last time was last March, no problems since.

Posted 30 Oct 2011, 23:20 #2 

MrB
I know what you're saying but the car wasn't running hot, Tesco's is literally 1/2 mile away, and was 1st use fo the day. Also it's clear that the UBP isn't running, I don't think the cam sensor affects whether it runs or not?

Thanks for your help though. I do have a spare cam sensor so it could be worth a try.
Chris
Member No. 143
Mods so far: LED sidelights, interior lights and number plate lamps, Rover Xenon Headlights, Kenlowe Fan, Synergy 2 and EGR Bypass

Posted 30 Oct 2011, 23:32 #3 

Unclefista
Mr B, I have a leaky under-bonnet fuel pump I removed a couple of weeks ago you are welcome to if you want it. You could try plugging it in next time you have a problem and see if it runs, that should tell you whether it's the pump or something else at fault.
I'm only a couple of miles from you.

Love is like a snowmobile, speeding across the frozen tundra.
Which suddenly flips, pinning you underneath.
At night, the ice-weasels come...

Posted 31 Oct 2011, 03:05 #4 

MrB
Thanks Unclefista. I'll let you know if I need it. The replacement runs so quietly I refuse to believe it is faulty, but I guess it could be.
Chris
Member No. 143

Posted 31 Oct 2011, 14:30 #5 

Unclefista
The offer is still there, the pump is no use to me :)
My new pump is louder than my old one, but then it was only £50 from Ebay, annoying really as my leaky one worked fine and was an OEM. As money is tight at the mo, I have my fingers crossed my new Chinese pump lasts longer than most Chinese bits I buy ;)

Btw, do you still have any of the wheels you were advertising a few months back ?

Love is like a snowmobile, speeding across the frozen tundra.
Which suddenly flips, pinning you underneath.
At night, the ice-weasels come...

Posted 31 Oct 2011, 15:30 #6 

MrB
Thanks. Now think it is not the pump as have had to leave it at work today as it refused to start but both pumps were merrily whirring away?!?

And yes I have a set of 5 Union wheels that I have no use for. 2 good, but budget tyres, 215 16" tyres to go with them but the other 4 tyres that are fitted are either illegal or very close to being illegal.
Chris
Member No. 143

Posted 01 Nov 2011, 23:20 #7 

Bermudan 75
Did you sort out your no starting problem Mr B?

Posted 19 Jan 2012, 17:38 #8 

MrB
OMG I didn't realise I never closed this thread by telling you all what happened.

The pump had gone, it was making all the right noises but it wasn't producing sufficient pressure for the ECU (Engine Control Unit) to allow the car to try to start. So we replaced it with a brand new MKON one, only to find the ECU had had a bath while being stuck outside my work. We managed to replace the ECU, immobiliser unit and key back to get the car home. With the new ECU onboard we get true readings and we (Russ with his T4 (Testbook version 4.Computer Diagnostic System)) discovered that all was not well with a few things.

That is when I decided to go for the tourer that was going for just the right money on the club site see here an-interesting-day-t4480.html

Chris
Chris
Member No. 143

Posted 20 Jan 2012, 01:36 #9