Ultimate Remote with OEM key-fob owners please note **UPDATE by raistlin (Page 1 of 5)

raistlin
There's a possible problem with the ultimate remote when used with the OEM key-fob I'd like people to be aware of.

I've had two reports now of the car windows being down and the car unlocked within a few seconds of having locked the car.

This does NOT happen on the version which uses the third party remote control TX/RX.

If it is going to happen it seems to show up very soon after initial installation so if you've had it fitted for a while I don't foresee any problems like this.

I'm satisfied that the modules are serviceable and suspect the fault is caused by a spurious signal or an intermittent earth fault in the car's wiring.

If this happens, pull the fuse within the module to disable it. All normal functions will continue to operate unhindered. Please let me know.

As I said, I've only had reports from two installations but I thought it right to let you know.
Paul

Cogito ergo sum... maybe?

Click the image to go to Nano-Meet Website

Posted 26 Oct 2010, 13:23 #1 

Last edited by raistlin on 03 May 2011, 16:53, edited 1 time in total.

JohnDotCom
Thanks for keeping us informed Paul.
John

"My lovely car now sold onto a very happy new owner.
I still love this marque and I will still be around, preferred selling to breaking, as a great runner and performer"

Posted 26 Oct 2010, 17:04 #2 

raistlin
OK, I think we've successfully ironed out this little gremlin... at last :)

There are one or two modified PIC chips in use at the moment and have been for varying lengths of time and I'm now satisfied that these modified chips have solved the problem.

Replacing a PIC is a reasonably simple task which just requires a degree of dexterity and a modicum of patience.

Basically, this problem only ever arose when the UR was used with the OEM key fob and is down to the fact that it sends to different sets of signals at the same time which on occasion could confuse the BCU (Body Control Unit).

The modified PIC has a timer incorporated which means that, effectively, 500 - 1000 milliseconds after the operation of the key-fob and initial locking of the car, the UR section kicks in and takes care of the windows, sunroof, powerfolds etc. That 500 - 1000 millisecond delay is sufficient for the BCU to differentiate between the signals and to act appropriately each time.

The modified PIC has been released to service as it were and details of how to claim a free modified PIC will be made available on the ThinkTank web-site in due course.

CAVEATS:-

1. You will only need this updated PIC if you use OEM control. If you use a third party remote then it is not required as the circumstances whereby the BCU might become confused will not occur.

2. This PIC will only work with the later UR modules where the PCB (Printed Circuit Board) was modified to include ignition controlled inhibition of the module to overcome the problems caused if speed locking is enabled.

The way to confirm whether you have the later module is to look at it and see if there is a THREE WAY connector on the PCB. If there is then you have the latest module. If not then you will have to replace the module.

It is unlikely that those using the OEM key-fob will have the older module as the module design was changed at much the same time as I worked out how to get the UR to work with the OEM key-fob :)
Paul

Posted 03 May 2011, 17:10 #3 

phenonix
Thanks Paul,
I got a new chip, V3.1 in February, would this be the latest version, or has there been a further update?

Posted 04 May 2011, 09:26 #4 

raistlin
phenonix wrote:Thanks Paul,
I got a new chip, V3.1 in February, would this be the latest version, or has there been a further update?

You have the latest version if you have the time delay Joe.
Paul

Posted 04 May 2011, 11:54 #5 

Dallas
Hey guys! whats all this about then, chips, PIC, windows, Fobs etc.............. :confused:

Posted 04 May 2011, 13:11 #6 

raistlin
Dallas wrote:Hey guys! whats all this about then, chips, PIC, windows, Fobs etc.............. :confused:

Sorry mate... scratching my head as to how to answer :confused: I'm not sure how to explain it differently to the above?
Paul

Posted 04 May 2011, 19:36 #7 

Dallas
Paul! how about if I ask! what is an 'ultimate remote' ?

...... and what is a third party remote control TX/RX?

Is this something I should know about ? Is this equipment fitted to my car ?

Posted 04 May 2011, 19:44 #8 

kandyman
Dallas wrote:Paul! how about if I ask! what is an 'ultimate remote' ?

Have a browse through Paul's PDF's it might help understand whats what.
raistlins-projects-browse-available-pdfs.html

Posted 04 May 2011, 19:49 #9 

raistlin
Dallas wrote:Paul! how about if I ask! what is an 'ultimate remote' ?

Ooops. It never occurred to me that you wouldn't know what it is :em: Sorry :(

As Andy says, the best thing to do would be to have a look at my how-to documents on the link he's given you.

Any remaining questions, I'd be happy to answer :)
Paul

Posted 04 May 2011, 19:52 #10 

Dallas
Paul, Andy! thanks chaps :thumbsup: ................. and I thought I knew a few things about electronics, well! nope not after flicking through those detailed PDF's (thats gone right over my head), we're not worthy comes to mind Paul. :rolling:

The global window opening/closing is something I miss alot, had it on the wife's Galaxy and it was very handy at times.

So to get these options active on the 75, its a case of following your 'How to' then Paul..................... So who wants to come and do mine then....... ? :thumbsup: :clap:

Posted 04 May 2011, 20:14 #11 

Last edited by Dallas on 04 May 2011, 20:49, edited 1 time in total.

raistlin
The international nano-meet would be an excellent time to get it done :) It'll cost you nowt as well to get the work done :D
Paul

Posted 04 May 2011, 20:23 #12 

Dallas
Thanks Paul, what an offer :thumbsup: will see what I can do................

................. I will have to sweet-talk the missus....... :lol: :em:

Posted 04 May 2011, 20:51 #13 

raistlin
Mick wrote:appropriate title.

The mind boggles :lol:
Paul

Posted 21 Nov 2011, 22:40 #14 

Mick
(Site Admin)
raistlin wrote:
Mick wrote:appropriate title.

The mind boggles :lol:

I've split Neds topic into it's own. key-fallen-to-bits-help-please-t4534.html

Posted 21 Nov 2011, 22:46 #15 

raistlin
Then my facetious post above is no longer apposite Mick :) - Perhaps you'd tidy up please?
Paul

Posted 21 Nov 2011, 22:53 #16 

hodgy
Noli equi dentes inspicere donati.
Some people do I'm afraid
Best Regards

Alan

Posted 09 Oct 2012, 19:38 #17 

Lates
(Trader)
Paul, Mine still randomly opens my windows for me and bounces the locks. Will a later pic chip fix this ?

Posted 27 Jun 2013, 20:28 #18 

takestock
Hi Mr L Mine was one of the prototypes and did the same, anyway as I inadvertently stuck 12 up the neg wire (don't ask) it subsequently died. Replaced it last week with the new version and it seems to have stopped the problem, then again it's only been just over a week :)
Photobucket = Tossers

Dave....

Posted 27 Jun 2013, 20:41 #19 

Lates
(Trader)
Hi Dave, hope you are well mate :) I am not sure which level mine is tbh, I wasn't the first to get the mod fitted. Touch wood when Paul pops in all will become clear.

Posted 27 Jun 2013, 20:56 #20