Tyres by Mick

Mick
(Site Admin)
The new labelling system. Should help when choosing replacements.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-18663023

Posted 01 Jul 2012, 10:54 #1 

PaulT
Well overdue.....

Just about to buy new tyres and reading peoples reviews of brands and models, well, how can one person give one a very bad score and another person goes in to raptures?
Paul

That apart Mrs Lincoln, did you enjoy the play

Posted 01 Jul 2012, 12:32 #2 

RhodieBill
I love the presenters last statement.... Oh, and maybe a life! Money and Environment comes first....lol.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Regards, Bill

Posted 01 Jul 2012, 13:47 #3 

Tourerfogey
PaulT wrote:Well overdue.....

Just about to buy new tyres and reading peoples reviews of brands and models, well, how can one person give one a very bad score and another person goes in to raptures?

Because generally they don't know what they are talking about, or because they feel the need to justify buying whatever brand they've bought . . .

Posted 01 Jul 2012, 17:35 #4 

Duncan
Tourerfogey wrote:Because generally they don't know what they are talking about, or because they feel the need to justify buying whatever brand they've bought . . .

So true about so many things. I think the worst are mobile phone reviews where people post rave reviews without having used the phone for more than two minutes.

Posted 01 Jul 2012, 18:46 #5 

Mick
(Site Admin)
Most people never have to use their tyres capabilities in earnest. And so........ "they're black, round and rubbery, brilliant."
Heaven help those on cheapo tyres if they ever have to stop really quickly or take evasive action in the wet etc.

Posted 01 Jul 2012, 19:35 #6 

Duncan
Some cheaper tyres are OK, some aren't. Hopefully this will help sort them out. To be fair some 'branded' tyres are carp as well. What's worse, is that one brand may make the best winter tyres, but terrible standard ones.

Posted 01 Jul 2012, 19:47 #7 

Tourerfogey
I'm told by my man in the know that often the cheaper tyres are made from the moulds from the last generation of branded tyres when the big names no longer need or want the moulds. - Of course having said that, there is rubber compound to consider as well.

Posted 01 Jul 2012, 21:41 #8 

PaulT
Tourerfogey wrote:I'm told by my man in the know that often the cheaper tyres are made from the moulds from the last generation of branded tyres when the big names no longer need or want the moulds. - Of course having said that, there is rubber compound to consider as well.

Several big brands also have a cheapo subsidary
Paul

That apart Mrs Lincoln, did you enjoy the play

Posted 02 Jul 2012, 05:03 #9 

carlpenn
PaulT wrote:Well overdue.....

I always check the Car they drive and make an assumption at how they drive through what they say and what they drive when reading reviews.

My Favourite comment was a Vauxhall Corsa owner who complained..........

"These Tyres are useless when trying to take a Roundabout at 40Mph" ............Seriously!!
Upgrades:

Fitted Electric Memory Seat, Leather Cubby Lid, Wood Dash, Message Centre.

Posted 02 Jul 2012, 20:07 #10 

Mintman

Posted 06 Jul 2012, 19:42 #11 

springy
Well here's my two penneth. Mine are black, round, rubbery and £65 each. So far they have got me round rounderbouts and stopped me in time, every time . . .touch wood ! Tyres are like Gin, for most people Lidles is fine, no need to buy Gordons.

Posted 10 Jul 2012, 20:12 #12 

Borg Warner
On purchase of my 160T the selling garage said they would replace the fronts as they were quite worn (so too were the rears but he forgot about those). My previous mode of transport was a Free Lander Diesel Auto so experience of a quick car. I remember pulling on to the Wolves Ring Road Penn Rd Island one Saturday soon after purchase and the surface was damp; revs built up but we remained stationary. Didn't think it was that powerful I exclaimed to swmbo, however everyone else seemed to be fine. They turned out be the most appalling set of tyres I have ever driven on. So bad, earlier this year I got rid of them for a set of Falkens even though they still had 10-15k miles left on them. The difference is without measure. So good the junction I use to gain access to the A14 is a 40mph island lol.

Posted 11 Jul 2012, 16:37 #13