Tyre Valve Stem Cover Mystery? by Chartermark

Chartermark
I had all new tyres fitted, and with them replacement valves January 4th.

Refitting my Chrome valve stem sleeves, when I returned home, I noticed they were really tight to push down the stem. The caps though screwed on perfectly.

A few days ago I attempted to check the tyre pressures. I had to cut the stem covers off to remove the caps, which had mysteriously become 'welded' to the valve screw grooves.

One I had to take to a tyre bay to have it amputated and a new valve fitted.

Upon inquiring from sellers, all 'valve stems' offered on eBay are seemingly a 10mm diameter, and the new valves I have need an 11.5mm version I estimate?

Has anyone else had this problem, are new valves now wider, just to make life difficult?

Anyone know where to get fatter stem sleeves?

Posted 09 Feb 2011, 20:38 #1 

Mick
(Site Admin)
The most likely issue is the difference in the metals used between caps and stems, they tend to weld themselves together. Plastic are the least problematic if a little drab.

Posted 09 Feb 2011, 21:43 #2 

takestock
Can confirm there does seem to be a difference with later valves, my chrome valve stem covers are a slack fit on the older front tyres, but on the recently replaced rear ones they are a shade too small, managed to get them on far enough to start the valve cap and they are pushed down as I tighten the cap on. :)
Photobucket = Tossers

Dave....

Posted 09 Feb 2011, 21:48 #3 

Chartermark
That's exactly what happened to me Dave with the wider ones. I screwed them down tight, with the caps, and they obviously became too resolute in their attachment.

The TR-13 valve seems to be the new fit. They are 11.5mm wide, so you need a differently dimensioned sleeve,- presently it would seem unavailable?

The caps were a new set, much larger and heavier, I've put 'plastic' (Mick) on one side and my older, smaller and 'badged' pair on the other side as a comparative trial.

I just wondered if the seeming change in valve width was a 'secret'?

Posted 09 Feb 2011, 22:28 #4 

Jürgen
Probably a change to the metric system? Hence the tiny difference? :confused:

Posted 10 Feb 2011, 19:24 #5 

Chartermark
Jürgen wrote:Probably a change to the metric system? Hence the tiny difference? :confused:

Excellent point,

It will probably be a while before production of stems catches up?

Posted 10 Feb 2011, 20:49 #6 

Dave Goody
What is this metric system? does this mean at some time we will be changing over from the old feet and inches? :confused: :D
Dave

Posted 04 Mar 2011, 10:24 #7 

Chartermark
News is that there will be an EU pack issued explaining the necessity for the change, Dave. It's 2.6 million pages long, and will take four forests to complete.

Rumours persist that it's the first stage in the establishment of wonderplan called 'The Euro' (code name ali baba's basket), and a big load of people moving from Brussels to Strasbourg once a week, (reasoning top secret).

A common Army, Navy and Air Force to follow, equipped with lots of expensively re-cycled equipment presently stored in secret locations such as the Napoleonic Museum in Paris and another place called 'Agincourt'.

Oh, and also establishing insularity from the necessity to get your annual accounts signed off for ever.

Posted 04 Mar 2011, 12:39 #8 

Beejay
Just had to have all new valves fitted to wife's Megane, couldn't get covers off, only put them on 4 months ago, welded solid, £60 for checking tyre pressures!!!!. My woes continue this week after HG on my 75!!!!!

Posted 04 Mar 2011, 14:41 #9 

Dave Goody
Chartermark wrote:News is that there will be an EU pack issued explaining the necessity for the change, Dave. It's 2.6 million pages long, and will take four forests to complete.

Rumours persist that it's the first stage in the establishment of wonderplan called 'The Euro' (code name ali baba's basket), and a big load of people moving from Brussels to Strasbourg once a week, (reasoning top secret).

A common Army, Navy and Air Force to follow, equipped with lots of expensively re-cycled equipment presently stored in secret locations such as the Napoleonic Museum in Paris and another place called 'Agincourt'.

Oh, and also establishing insularity from the necessity to get your annual accounts signed off for ever.

Martin,
Could this be why the socket set my dad bought me on my 21st birthday does'nt seem to fit nuts anymore? I thought it was just worn? PS Don't mention Agincourt! Dave :D

Posted 04 Mar 2011, 14:57 #10 

Chartermark
Beejay wrote:Just had to have all new valves fitted to wife's Megane, couldn't get covers off, only put them on 4 months ago, welded solid, £60 for checking tyre pressures!!!!. My woes continue this week after HG on my 75!!!!!

There's something up with the valve world presently I'm sure of it Barry. I've never had caps and stems give any trouble before my tyre change.

I read about your HG problem, has the damage been assessed yet, hope the Gods were kind?

I had 2 75's at my last employer, as company cars. The first was a 1.8T and the gasket went around 45k I remember. By the time the car became due for replacement (contract hire), Arnold Clark (the lessor), would only supply the diesel, having experienced too much expense with Petrol derivatives.

A shame because I enjoyed the 1.8T, but it's no fun when you have to pay for repairs!

Good luck, and hope your operative again soon?

Martin

Posted 05 Mar 2011, 01:40 #11