Tyre noise/wheelbearing revisited by stroheim

stroheim
Hi I am getting a low droning noise coming from the rear which seems to be speed related which is odd (would this eliminate the bearings ?). It doesn't seem to be tyres but I cant be certain.
what's the best method of checking and eliminating the bearings

Posted 28 Jan 2011, 16:37 #1 

takestock
Easier to eliminate the tyres, swap front to rear and see if the noise moves, speed related could indeed be a wheel bearing though. :)
Photobucket = Tossers

Dave....

Posted 28 Jan 2011, 16:41 #2 

JohnDotCom
Rear wheel bearings come as a whole unit, you cannot just change the bearings unfortunately.
I found that switching the tyres around as described by Dave above cured the fault and I just purchased another pair of tyres.
John

"My lovely car now sold onto a very happy new owner.
I still love this marque and I will still be around, preferred selling to breaking, as a great runner and performer"

Posted 28 Jan 2011, 18:10 #3 

Dave Goody
my low drone at the back also cured by 2 new tyres Dave

Posted 28 Jan 2011, 18:52 #4 

stroheim
Thanks for the reply I will try changing the tyres around when it gets a bit warmer. If it isn't the tyres I will change the hub I have seen these at about £55

Posted 29 Jan 2011, 09:00 #5 

stroheim
Glad to say it was a distorted tyre that was causing the problem. Good old reliability of our cars I was convinced it was the bearing

Posted 02 Feb 2011, 11:51 #6 

Mick
(Site Admin)
Good news , in my experience of wheel bearing failures, three in number, rumbling has not been an issue, high pitched whine has more been the case. Rumbling, again in my own experience has always been down to tyre distortion or wearing down to the wear bands.

Posted 02 Feb 2011, 14:27 #7 

takestock
stroheim wrote:Glad to say it was a distorted tyre that was causing the problem. Good old reliability of our cars I was convinced it was the bearing

Glad to be of help. can confirm the high pitched whine as Mick says on a rear bearing ;)
Photobucket = Tossers

Dave....

Posted 02 Feb 2011, 16:36 #8 

Duncan
I'll take that as good news too, having a noise from the rear. The tyres are due for a change anyway, so I should find the same.

On a previous car, though, the wheel bearing did rumble when it failed, but that was a front bearing. It changed how loud it was when you went round corners too.

Posted 02 Feb 2011, 18:59 #9