Turning off the fuel pump - Duncan, maybe? by Bernard

Bernard
I want to be able to turn off the petrol pump to help me in getting to the bottom of an LPG (Liquified Petroleum Gas) problem on the V6. Preferably I want to insert a switch so that I can turn it ON/OFF at will.

Where is the easiest place to pick up the feed at the front of the car please?
I don't like signatures, they take up too much screen space.

Posted 15 Jul 2013, 17:38 #1 

Duncan
I would say probably the inertia switch, though this will cause the hazards to flash (I think) if you trigger it. As far as I know it doesn't stop the engine, only kill the fuel pump. The circuit diagrams seem to agree. The fuel pump fuse would do the same, but why bother? If that doesn't work, Id pull out the fuel pump relay and replace it with a switch, this lives in the passenger fusebox.

Posted 15 Jul 2013, 17:44 #2 

Bernard
Thanks Duncan. I haven't looked yet ( I can't bend my right knee at the moment so can't get down there :( ) but is the relay easy to identify?

Posted 15 Jul 2013, 17:52 #3 

Duncan
I'm not sure to be honest. It appears to be one of the ones in the fusebox itself (assuming an old style grey box) but Rave doesn't show which one. It's labelled R103 on the circuit diagram so with luck it's labelled on the fusebox.

EDIT: of course it's not the grey one, we replaced a fuse last weekend. Let me check the other diagrams.

Posted 15 Jul 2013, 17:57 #4 

Duncan
On the new fusebox, it seems to be one of three relays in the fusebox. The layout on the lid might help, but the workshop manual doesn't I'm afraid.

Give the inertia switch a try first, though.

Posted 15 Jul 2013, 18:01 #5 

Bernard
Thanks Duncan. 8-)

Posted 15 Jul 2013, 18:48 #6