transmission oil cooler issues by handyjackdaniels

handyjackdaniels
Hi,

I have a 2004 facelift 1.8 auto turbo, that has a transmission oil cooler located in the drivers wheel arch.

Anyway, while doing some work around the passenger fuse box I noticed that a fuse had melted, on checking what that fuse fed it was indeed for the cooler. I replaced the fuse and while I was at it swapped the relay that was near by, just eliminate that from causing the melting.

Have just come from a 50 mile trip and the fan is staying on.........when should it cut out, the car has been cooling down for an hour and the fan is still on( obviously when the ignition is switched on).
Could it be the temp switch fitted to the fan? One thing I did do between changing the fuse and relay, noticed the old relay was getting really hot??

Any techicks have any ideas?????

Steve.

Posted 28 Feb 2015, 15:34 #1 

Duncan
The fan should go off as soon as you turn off the ignition, according to the circuit diagrams, I guess it does that. The only other thing in the circuit is the temperature sensor, so unless the relay you fitted is the wrong type or faulty, then I suspect the sensor, or wiring. If the wiring has been trapped somewhere and shorted to ground, the relay would be on whenever ignition was on, and it would also explain your failed fuse if the power feed was shorting at the same point.

Posted 28 Feb 2015, 15:56 #2 

handyjackdaniels
Thanks for the reply! the fan does go off when the ignition is off, its when I put the ignition in position II it will stay on, it still does now, two hours after parking the car up.
May see if I can get hold of a temp sensor.........if they are still available!
Steve.

Posted 28 Feb 2015, 16:22 #3 

Duncan
Before you do, simply unplug the sensor. If the fan goes off, its your switch. If not it's wiring.

Posted 01 Mar 2015, 12:52 #4 

handyjackdaniels
Duncan,
Have unplugged the sensor as you suggested and the fan has cut out so have ordered a new one from Rimmers, apparently they get them direct from suppliers, takes 2/3 days. I've just took the fuse out for now.
The last person that owned the car for some reason wired up a toggle switch to the relay, doesn't seem to make any difference which ever way its switched???

Posted 02 Mar 2015, 13:46 #5 

Duncan
I guess it depends how the switch is wired. It might be it was to switch on the fan when the temperature wasn't high enough to do it automatically.

Posted 02 Mar 2015, 18:09 #6 

handyjackdaniels
I'll take it out when the sensor arrives and eliminate any issues.

Posted 02 Mar 2015, 19:15 #7