Traction Control - Help guru advice needed ! by Trebor (Page 3 of 3)

Duncan
raistlin wrote:I've been dead lucky with VeeKay then. All the looms have been in place.

NOT that a simple thing like a missing loom would have stopped me :lol:

Likewise. Had the dash out twice, because I like to use the original feeds and routes. My facelift is a godsend because there's nothing I've wanted to fit that has been missing so far, apart from stuff that was always an add on, like satnav.

Posted 14 Nov 2013, 21:28 #41 

paul d
With you all the way chaps. As with my Powerwash & the other things i've done, followed the wiring diagrams & done it right.

Going to have a look at "the pretty one" later or tomorrow to se what the wiring situation is regarding the TC so i know before i fit mine if i need to do any wiring.

Regards

Paul

Posted 15 Nov 2013, 08:00 #42 

raistlin
paul d wrote: se what the wiring situation is regarding the TC so i know before i fit mine if i need to do any wiring.

Regards

Paul

Battery box and sub frame out then :(
Paul

Cogito ergo sum... maybe?

Click the image to go to Nano-Meet Website

Posted 15 Nov 2013, 08:28 #43 

paul d
Proving a little difficult to do the looking the way the weather is guys but still on it & will let you know as soon as i get a window to check

Regards

Paul

Posted 18 Nov 2013, 21:57 #44 

Trebor
Duncan wrote:Hi, Rob. I think that wire (Red/Blue) is the speed signal and will be there on all cars. Worth checking, though.

While in there, check the CAN (Bus Controller Area Network) wiring. Yellow Brown to pin 40, yellow black to pin 24 in the ABS (Antilock Braking System). You can only really check for if they are there or not. If you wanted to you could check for continuity, but you would need to pull out something like the instrument pack and check to the same colour wires there. The wires will be a pair, twisted together. I'm beginning to think it's got to be something odd like these being missing. Funny though if the TC switch wiring is there.

Been doing a bit more work on this from the comfort of the house as i realised that i took some pictures when i fitted the new ABS TC pump

Although the key for the pin numbers is on the underside of the plug which I dont have a picture of, I reckon top right of the above picture has to be 42 as according to Rave pins 36 - 39 are not used and although there are other unused pins none in a block of 4 as far as i can see.

So if top right is 42 , then top of next row is 26 and from the picture both pins 40 and 24 are populated. Its not the best picture but you can see that pin 24 is yellow/black and from another picture below, pin 40 is yellow/brown

If the wiring is present then maybe i am looking for a break in it somewhere next time i get access to the loom with the battery and battery box out ?

Robs Pictures at :

Robs Car Gallery

click below to access nano website

Planning is an unnatural process, much better to just get on with things, that way failure comes as a complete surprise instead of being preceeded by a period of worry and doubt

Posted 27 Dec 2013, 19:21 #45 

raistlin
If you find open circuit then that might be an ideal situation for the use of a time domain reflectomoter Rob. Unfortunately, I no longer have my own but can borrow one from work if it'll help.
Paul

Posted 27 Dec 2013, 19:36 #46 

Trebor
Hi Paul and thanks for the reply, i know the TDR finds cable faults but exactly how does it work ?
Robs Pictures at :

Robs Car Gallery

Planning is an unnatural process, much better to just get on with things, that way failure comes as a complete surprise instead of being preceeded by a period of worry and doubt

Posted 28 Dec 2013, 08:52 #47 

raistlin
Trebor wrote: exactly how does it work ?

You connect the suspect cable and it displays on a CRT (oscilloscope screen), showing a pulse where the open circuit is in terms of a distance from the TDR probe. A TDR will also show you where connectors are as well.

It might be overkill in a car's wiring but nonetheless, available if required mate :)
Paul

Posted 28 Dec 2013, 10:29 #48 

Trebor
Sounds like a great piece of kit Paul so will take you up on that offer when we are back at work if thats ok

Just popped out the message centre to take a look at the wiring, looks like the yellow/brown and yellow/black are present on the right hand black connector which has 12 available slots and are all occupied, if those 2 are Can Bus they are together but only slightly twisted

This is the opposite side white connector which has 18 available slots and 17 wires going in so assuming 1 is not used, there is a yellow/ brown there though although no yellow/ black

Robs Pictures at :

Robs Car Gallery

Posted 28 Dec 2013, 11:56 #49 

raistlin
You would probably find that they are more tightly twisted further up the loom Rob. They tend to be untwisted for the last few inches to make it easier to get them into the connector.
Paul

Posted 28 Dec 2013, 12:55 #50 

Duncan
Rob. Black connector, pins 1 and 2 are CAN on the IPK (Instrument pack (IPK from the German)). You should check for continuity from the yellow black in the ABS to the yellow black in the IPK, then the same with yellow brown.

Posted 29 Dec 2013, 11:56 #51 

Trebor
Paul you are spot on they are twisted just a bit further up the loom, and thanks Duncan continuity check will be the next step then
Robs Pictures at :

Robs Car Gallery

Posted 29 Dec 2013, 12:57 #52 

Bermudan 75
How have you got on with this Rob?

Cheers

Mike

Posted 25 Jan 2014, 15:46 #53 

Trebor
Still not checked continuity as above yet Mike hoping to do so in next week or 2
Robs Pictures at :

Robs Car Gallery

Posted 25 Jan 2014, 20:57 #54 

Trebor
Well first of all a big thanks to Steve Devilish for his knowledge and help today, but alas the Traction Control is still not working !

We checked continuity from bus wires at ABS/TC pump back to IPK and all circuits closed. Also checked continuity from ECU (Engine Control Unit) back to IPK and the same result, circuits all closed.

To recap:
The pump is the correct one for the diesel as confirmed by Bosch technical
The dash switch is good and continuity from there to ABS/TC pump is good
Continuity good from bus wires at ABS/TC pump to IPK
Continuity good from ECU bus wires to IPK
On a previous T4 (Testbook version 4.Computer Diagnostic System) session there were no fault codes and the T4 actually said “ this vehicle is fitted with diesel traction control “
When I switch on the car the words “ Traction Control “ appear on the IPK but are quickly followed by the Traction Control off symbol which remains on at all times.

So back to square 1 almost and over to the gurus once more, I have left a voicemail for David in the hope that he will chip in with the debate.

One thought Steve had was around the initial work done on the car before the T4 session, and that was the removal of IPK whilst David did his” magic “ before replacing with the original IPK, could this be the issue, and could this be fooling the T4 into thinking that all is ok ?

Bus wires in the ABS/TC pump plug, left bank 3 up yellow brown and in the right bank 3 up and yellow/ black, continuity good in both back to IPK

Bus wire continuity checked from ECU back to IPK

Reading on test meter for all, closed circuits

Robs Pictures at :

Robs Car Gallery

Posted 30 Jan 2014, 16:45 #55 

Trebor
car failed MOT today, one of issues was TC warning light constantly on, hoping that if no faults shown up on T4 at tomorrows nano meet it can be switched off to get it through MOT
Robs Pictures at :

Robs Car Gallery

Posted 21 Mar 2014, 13:19 #56 

Trebor
A big big thanks to David for looking again at my TC at last weekends nano meet.

Unfortunately in the end he had to recode it back to remove the dash light so it will pass its MOT, so for now TC is banished to Room 101 !

However there is some light at the end of the tunnel, as before the recoding the T4 initially recognised that TC was present but then said I had the wrong ECU fitted in the car and that I needed NNN100692.

It seems that the later cars may not have TC compliant ECUs whereas the earlier models did.

So TC lives to fight another day !
Robs Pictures at :

Robs Car Gallery

Posted 25 Mar 2014, 10:05 #57 

Trebor
Car now through MOT so back to TC issue, does anyone out there own or know of anyone who owns a post 2004 diesel with TC fitted please ?
Robs Pictures at :

Robs Car Gallery

Posted 25 Mar 2014, 21:16 #58 

Trebor
Have found someone on the OC who has just sold a 2004 diesel with TC to a mate and he is checking the ECU number for me at the weekend.

He had it remapped and it then lost TC apparently
Robs Pictures at :

Robs Car Gallery

Posted 25 Mar 2014, 22:38 #59