Torque Wrench - which one? by Chartermark

• Related topics: (no related topics)

Chartermark
I've just received my spare steering wheel back from a restorers finished in Walnut from Light Oak, and very good it is too.

However as I'll get the one on the car converted too, and then revolve them periodically, it seems a good idea to invest in a torque wrench.

B&Q have them on offer in 1/2 1/4 a/d 3/8 inch sizes, which seemed odd as our EU bosses deem MM to be the required norm, and for once (and only) I agree with them?

Which ones best for the steering wheel nuts, and what size are they, as I presume I'll also need the socket to fit the nut and then slot into the wrench? The wrench will only ever get used for this purpose as it will achieve a new horizon for me in DIY endeavours anyway.

I hasten to add I'll ask someone to do the physical bit, and know from Paul to disconnect the battery for 30 mins before attempting the job etc. However I thought it a good idea to 'prepare the logistics' in advance. Is there a 'how to' anywhere, particularly the airbag cover removal part?

Posted 11 Aug 2011, 15:10 #1 

JohnDotCom
John

"My lovely car now sold onto a very happy new owner.
I still love this marque and I will still be around, preferred selling to breaking, as a great runner and performer"

Posted 11 Aug 2011, 15:19 #2 

Chartermark
Thanks John,

Great help especially the note on the Torx 30.

Martin

Posted 11 Aug 2011, 16:01 #3 

Duncan
For the main nut, you will really need the 1/2" drive version, the others are too small.

Remember, don't tighten it against the steering lock, so you are going to need someone to hold the wheel still (as I do too).

The torx screws are supposed to be torque tightened too, but I believe they are less critical, and would probably need a smaller one.

Posted 11 Aug 2011, 20:55 #4 

Tourerfogey
1/2" drive as above - yes strange they are still imperial rather than metric - but then tyres are a mixture of both for example 205/70 (mm) x 17 (inches) :confused: Although back in 80s The Metro (and the Maestro/Montego?) had metric wheels.

Posted 11 Aug 2011, 21:51 #5 

Chartermark
Thanks chaps,
I take it the main central securing bolt needs tightening to a torque setting, is it 20? The 'How to' JDC refers to earlier does not mention any setting level?

Posted 11 Aug 2011, 22:30 #6 

Duncan
20 sounds way too low for the main bolt, on either scale. Torque is specified in lbft or Nm for anyone who wasn't aware. The torque for 75s is usually spec'd in Nm. I'm not going to guess the value, but would expect something significantly closer to 100Nm than 20Nm as that is only barely over finger tight.

Posted 12 Aug 2011, 06:57 #7 

Duncan
Tourerfogey wrote:1/2" drive as above - yes strange they are still imperial rather than metric - but then tyres are a mixture of both for example 205/70 (mm) x 17 (inches) :confused: Although back in 80s The Metro (and the Maestro/Montego?) had metric wheels.

Yes I remember them well and yes all three models. Michelin and Dunlop made them but Austin Rover were about the only company they persuaded it was the way forward. They were also supposed to have a safety rim that prevented tyres coming off if they went flat.

Regarding the sizes, don't forget the second figure is a percentage, not mm. So the values are:

205mm/70% x 17"

I right old mix.

I think the drive size standardisation is driven (pun intended) by the US.

Posted 12 Aug 2011, 07:04 #8 

Jumper
Hi Martin. My manual says: Steering wheel to column: 65 nm. No idea if that means numb or numbers - it's one of those overseas things.

Posted 13 Aug 2011, 20:18 #9 

Duncan
Nm is newton metres. I agree, that's what my manual says too (65Nm). ISTR Newton was quite English, though. :gmc:

Posted 13 Aug 2011, 20:22 #10 

Jumper
Good job he didn't tighten his apples. We would have sorely missed his genius.

Posted 13 Aug 2011, 20:31 #11 

Chartermark
Thank you gentlemen, in the words of Newton ...

If I have ever made any valuable discoveries, it has been owing more to patient attention, than to any other talent ...

Here here to that - your input is greatly appreciated.

Martin

Posted 14 Aug 2011, 13:54 #12 

JohnDotCom
Get a good "Snap On" one. Last a lifetime and if break or damaged replaced free.
John

"My lovely car now sold onto a very happy new owner.
I still love this marque and I will still be around, preferred selling to breaking, as a great runner and performer"

Posted 14 Aug 2011, 14:54 #13 

PaulT
The download on this page is a useful conversion program:

http://www.boltscience.com/pages/download.htm
Paul

That apart Mrs Lincoln, did you enjoy the play

Posted 16 Aug 2011, 10:14 #14