Topic notifications by Dave


User avatar
Dave
I seem to be getting these with no real problem (apart from on the "What forum name have you gone with" thread)

Just had an email though from 75ztcommunity.co.uk saying:-

The 75zt board is trying to send you topic update messages but they keep getting bounced by your Internet Service Provider. I have lodged a support request with your ISP but have had no reply. You might like to try reporting the problem yourself. The error message my server is getting is as follows:
===================================================
<dave@********.freeserve.co.uk>: host
mail-in.freeserve.com[193.252.22.141] said:
550 5.7.1 Message content rejected
<ac901ca6442cbbcdfe569dd39be27d05> (in
reply to end of DATA command)
<dave@********.freeserve.co.uk>: host
mail-in.freeserve.com[193.252.22.141] said:
550 5.7.1 Message content rejected
<ac901ca6442cbbcdfe569dd39be27d05> (in
reply to end of DATA command)

Not really sure what this means!! :confused:

Posted 16 Jun 2010, 13:47 #1 

User avatar
Mick
(Site Admin)
Freeserve, your service provider are rejecting emails sent by the board reference the thread you mention. I can see no reason why they would reject it, perhaps they don't like something in the title. Can't think what. As stated we have informed your ISP that there is no reason for them to be rejecting mail from this board and as you say others are getting through. If you are bothered about it you can lodge a request with them to desist.

Posted 16 Jun 2010, 18:03 #2 

User avatar
Dave
Mick wrote:Freeserve, your service provider are rejecting emails sent by the board reference the thread you mention. I can see no reason why they would reject it, perhaps they don't like something in the title. Can't think what. As stated we have informed your ISP that there is no reason for them to be rejecting mail from this board and as you say others are getting through. If you are bothered about it you can lodge a request with them to desist.


No, not a worry, thanks anyway!

Curious though, as the thread seems innocuous enough

Posted 16 Jun 2010, 18:40 #3 

User avatar
Jürgen
Maybe it's because of the links in the body. That shouldn't be a problem, but their spam filter rules might be a bit harsh. But in such a case the mails should end up in a junk folder, still accessible by their customers.
Jürgen

75ZT Community & Midlands Nano Meets & 75 & ZT Enthusiasts

Posted 16 Jun 2010, 18:45 #4 

User avatar
Mick
(Site Admin)
Jürgen wrote:Maybe it's because of the links in the body. That shouldn't be a problem, but their spam filter rules might be a bit harsh. But in such a case the mails should end up in a junk folder, still accessible by their customers.

Any notifications from the forum just contain the title, I can't see what they could be objecting to. Beats the wotsits out of me. It's something their support team should be aware of and they have been made so. As you say mark it as spam but not reject out of hand.

Posted 16 Jun 2010, 18:55 #5 

User avatar
Dave
Jürgen wrote:Maybe it's because of the links in the body. That shouldn't be a problem, but their spam filter rules might be a bit harsh. But in such a case the mails should end up in a junk folder, still accessible by their customers.


Interesting

A few months back I had notification that Freeserve, sorry Wanadoo, sorry Orange were beefing up their spam filters

Before this, I had around 50+ spam emails a day (and no, I hadn't been looking at those kind of sites!). Now I get about 2 a week

Does make me wonder if I might be missing stuff I want? Nothing is showing in my Spam folder, using Outlook 2007. However, I wonder if I might see stuff in a spammy folder if I accessed via the web? Problem is, I have around 5 accounts all coming to my Outlook, so web based is a pain.....

Posted 16 Jun 2010, 19:02 #6 

User avatar
Jürgen
Just another thought, Mick. Make sure that the mail server sending out these messages can only be used after an authentication. Else it could end up on a spammers list some provider are checking before accepting mail.
Jürgen

75ZT Community & Midlands Nano Meets & 75 & ZT Enthusiasts

Posted 16 Jun 2010, 19:05 #7 

User avatar
Mick
(Site Admin)
Jürgen wrote:Just another thought, Mick. Make sure that the mail server sending out these messages can only be used after an authentication. Else it could end up on a spammers list some provider are checking before accepting mail.


Reverse look up has been attended to and the server is now recognised as authentic by all providers. It was a minor problem for a few days slowing mail down, did not lose anything or get anything rejected. All sorted in good time. :) Thanks for thinking of us.

Posted 16 Jun 2010, 19:09 #8 

User avatar
Jürgen
Dave, your Outlook will only download mails from your inbox, which is standard for a POP3 setting. So any mails in the junk folder can only be seen by using IMAP or the web access. You should have a look using the web mail. Then you should be able to adjust the spam settings or define secure senders, if there are any good mails marked as spam.
Jürgen

75ZT Community & Midlands Nano Meets & 75 & ZT Enthusiasts

Posted 16 Jun 2010, 19:09 #9 

User avatar
Dave
Jürgen wrote:Dave, your Outlook will only download mails from your inbox, which is standard for a POP3 setting. So any mails in the junk folder can only be seen by using IMAP or the web access. You should have a look using the web mail. Then you should be able to adjust the spam settings or define secure senders, if there are any good mails marked as spam.


Cheers. I'd better have a look!

Posted 16 Jun 2010, 19:16 #10 


Top