Tool to remove connectors ? by TimO

• Related topics: (no related topics)

TimO
Good afternoon.

I am fitting a CD changer into my project 75 Tourer but need a tool to remove the plug in cables (round push in type) which connect the wiring loom to the back of the radio cassette unit.
Anybody know the correct tool name and where they can be purchased ?

Cheers

Tim
:wales:

Posted 26 Jun 2010, 15:55 #1 

greeners
Are you talking about the 17 pin BMW connector ?

If so you need a BMW tool, 61 1 132

I've tried to get one in the past, but they are expensive

Posted 26 Jun 2010, 16:49 #2 

TimO
Greeners, Thank you very much - now the search is on :D

Cheers

Tim

Posted 26 Jun 2010, 22:22 #3 

TimO
Just had a thought :idea: will adapt a coke can and give it a try. How to coming up I think :D

Cheers

Tim

Posted 26 Jun 2010, 22:40 #4 

Duncan
Until I managed to get the proper tool, I used a different kind of terminal. opened up to the right diameter. Works OK.

The coke can idea isn't a bad one but may be a bit thing to get the strength needed. The inside of a cable reel might be more suitable.

If I can find one of the right terminals to adapt, I could send it to you. Let me have a dig around later today.

Posted 27 Jun 2010, 09:13 #5 

greeners
I've used a coke can method, hurts the fingers a bit.

If you google the part number and BMW there's a how to make the tool, if you can find the right size tube.

Posted 27 Jun 2010, 12:28 #6 

TimO
Thanks for the info. Tried the 'Coke can' method but the aluminium is not up to the job. Next attempt will be a section of telescopic radio aerial filed down to the correct external diameter.
Will keep you all informed on my progress.

Cheers

Tim

Posted 27 Jun 2010, 19:50 #7 

TimO
Well hopefully i've found the tool for the job, will let you know when it arrives.

http://www.kustompcs.co.uk/acatalog/info_1926.html

Cheers

Tim

Posted 28 Jun 2010, 20:56 #8 

JohnDotCom
A bit cheaper than the £57 + VAT BMW one...........
John

"My lovely car now sold onto a very happy new owner.
I still love this marque and I will still be around, preferred selling to breaking, as a great runner and performer"

Posted 28 Jun 2010, 21:17 #9 

Duncan
If the diameter is right, should work a treat. Don't forget to move the antibackout bar across or you'll be wondering why the terminals don't slip out.

Posted 29 Jun 2010, 12:08 #10 

TimO
Duncan wrote:If the diameter is right, should work a treat. Don't forget to move the antibackout bar across or you'll be wondering why the terminals don't slip out.

Anti back out bar :shock: Please no more problems :panic:

Cheers

Tim

Posted 29 Jun 2010, 19:16 #11 

Duncan
It's not a problem, unless you don't know about it!

There's a part of the connector that moves slightly sideways and stops the pins coming out even if the little metal barbs haven't engaged. Only moves about 2mm. If you look down one of the empty holes, you will see it doesn't look round. That's because of the part that slides a bit.

Very difficult to describe but I don't have one to photograph to show what I mean. You should be able to see it if you look though.

I know that some of the aftermarket harness makers don't even know about it and never slide it into place anyway.

Posted 29 Jun 2010, 20:19 #12 

TimO
Thanks for that Duncan, I will make sure i have a good look before I damage anything.

I will take some photos when I get around to doing the job - hopefully Friday, if the tool arrives.

Cheers

Tim

Posted 29 Jun 2010, 22:10 #13 

TimO
Extractor arrived this morning, excellent service :D only problem is it's to b****y small :hissyfit:

So will revert to the plastic straw technique and see what happens.

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=75462

Cheers

Tim

Posted 30 Jun 2010, 20:37 #14 

TimO
Well what can I say, removed the antibackout bar, and used the 'plastic straw' method - in 15 mins I had a working CD changer :clap:

So thanks Duncan for the antibackout bar tip. With out that I would never have completed the task :D

Cheers

Tim

Posted 04 Jul 2010, 10:34 #15 

Duncan
Glad it went well. Those things have caught me out so many times the devious little 'things'.

Anyway, it's nice to be useful once in a while!

Posted 04 Jul 2010, 19:34 #16 

JohnDotCom
I have found many of your tips very useful Duncan, thanks.
John

"My lovely car now sold onto a very happy new owner.
I still love this marque and I will still be around, preferred selling to breaking, as a great runner and performer"

Posted 04 Jul 2010, 19:39 #17