Three Speed Motor Condition (really bad ) by Arctic

Arctic
(Trader)
Hi
I recently changed my none working 3 speed fan to a 2 speed fan, having finshed the job, today i decided to have a look at the bushes inside the motor of the 3 speed fan i had taken off and boy did i get one big surprise the plate inside had disintergrated, also 3 of the springs which work the bushes as they wear down had become so week they no longer pushed the carbon bushes forward to contact the motor no wonder it failed this must have been like this since i purchased the car as i have only done about 800miles in the car since i brought it in Oct 2010.

I wonder how many other cars out there are in this state unknown to the owner if they are not this bad and only the springs have failed that to would stop the motor from working surely.
Image1

Image2

Note how this as rotted away pic 3
Image3

Image4

Image5

pics 6/7 is the other side also rotting away.
Image6

Image7

Pic 8 shows the bushes and their springs note from left to right how the first one as no spring must have disintergrated or fell out, second and third springs failing to push the bush forward fourth is still strong and working as it should.
Image8

pic 9 shows the bushes have all worn the same length approx so it must have been the springs that failed burning out the motor thus helping to rot the plate on which they fit.
Image9

All bushes are approx the same but to be 100% from left to right are 18mm 19mm 21mm 21mm so i would think the 18mm would have been the low speed bush yes ?
Image10

What are the opinions of those in the know about this please. If any cheers Arctic.
Pearl Firefrost
ARCTIC

Posted 24 Jun 2011, 21:30 #1 

Zeb
Opinions? It is knackered! :D

'They all do that sir'

That said, the one off the 1.8 I broke had done 65k miles, was ten years old and the motor was like new....

Good job you got a new one...

Posted 24 Jun 2011, 21:41 #2 

Arctic
(Trader)
hI Zeb.
So would you say it is the springs that fail first as there seems to be enough meat left on the bushes :confused: and if so would it be better to change them as soon as the fan stoped at low speed or is it just best for other members to go for the 2 speed,
Pearl Firefrost
ARCTIC

Posted 24 Jun 2011, 21:45 #3 

Mick
(Site Admin)
Somebody will be able to make use of those brushes to repair another.
I went straight for a two speed when my slow speed stopped, that was at about 20K miles. I did get avery good deal on it though from a very good friend, which made it the sensible choice at the time. The two speed with Jules resistor should last the life of the car.

Posted 24 Jun 2011, 21:56 #4 

Zeb
I would be inclined just to go for the two speed myself...but then what do I know...my 190 has a Kenlowe...:D

Posted 24 Jun 2011, 21:59 #5 

Arctic
(Trader)
Mick wrote:Somebody will be able to make use of those brushes to repair another.
I went straight for a two speed when my slow speed stopped, that was at about 20K miles. I did get avery good deal on it though from a very good friend, which made it the sensible choice at the time. The two speed with Jules resistor should last the life of the car.

Hi Mick
they are more than willing to have them jus drop me a PM anyone whom wants them FOC posted FOC :thumbsup:
Pearl Firefrost
ARCTIC

Posted 24 Jun 2011, 22:07 #6 

PaulT
Just shows how a manufacturers reputation can be harmed by its parts suppliers.

With the fact that 3 speeders will go with eventually some with very little mileage the black mark goes against Rover and not the motor manufacturer
Paul

That apart Mrs Lincoln, did you enjoy the play

Posted 25 Jun 2011, 07:10 #7 

Arctic
(Trader)
My car has done 130k but from the look of this motor it may have gone a long time ago as i have only done 800miles since i purchased the car last october 2010, and it seems the springs have gone weak so not pushing the brushes forward then its burnt out, poor design would you say ?
Pearl Firefrost
ARCTIC

Posted 25 Jun 2011, 11:05 #8 

JohnDotCom
Another German company...............
John

"My lovely car now sold onto a very happy new owner.
I still love this marque and I will still be around, preferred selling to breaking, as a great runner and performer"

Posted 25 Jun 2011, 14:42 #9 

Jürgen
JohnDotCom wrote:Another German company...............

:?: :!: :?:

;)

Posted 26 Jun 2011, 11:04 #10 

Duncan
Well, stripped a couple today, and interesting results. These are both V6 versions, but the fan is the same. It's only the control box that varies.

The first came off my own car, and speed one was dead. It was replaced with a new three speed while they were still a sensible price. As expected, one brush completely gone, a second worn a bit, the other two quite good. Commutator a little worn but nothing to worry for.

The second was donated to me to strip for spare brushes. Now before I started to strip it, I turned the shaft and found it very stiff. The brushes turned out to be pretty much the same, but appeared to be sticking. So I think that in the OPs post, it isn't the springs losing their force, but the brushes sticking. The connecting braids were stiffer than inthe first motor, and it might be this. Now, the motor had overheated, not as badly as Artcics, but I think this caused the sticking brushes. So why was it sticking and overheating? Well one of the permanent magnets had broken free. Not a result of my dissasembly, because it was sticking before I started. No signs of damage that could have caused it either.

So I have enough parts to rebuild one and a bit motors (I bought some spare brushes). Arctic, if you want the brush plate, and some brushes to go with your decent armature (assuming it is OK), we could probaly make a second spare.

Posted 02 Jul 2011, 17:01 #11 

Mick
(Site Admin)
Jürgen wrote:

;)

You may well ask............................. maybe not JDC though, you know what he's like. :panic: :panic: :panic:

Posted 03 Jul 2011, 13:29 #12 

Arctic
(Trader)
So I have enough parts to rebuild one and a bit motors (I bought some spare brushes). Arctic, if you want the brush plate, and some brushes to go with your decent armature (assuming it is OK), we could probaly make a second spare.

HI Duncan.
Thanks for the offer but sadly the armature was thrown away not by be i might add but a certain person whom goes unnamed and thinks i hog to much stuff as it is, :roll: even though i know that all things come in handy one day or another, :thumbsup:
Pearl Firefrost
ARCTIC

Posted 03 Jul 2011, 16:17 #13 

Duncan

Which part of Germany is Canada in?

:gmc:

Posted 03 Jul 2011, 16:39 #14 

PaulT
Duncan wrote:

Not all plans come to fruition - it vill next time :gmc:
Paul

That apart Mrs Lincoln, did you enjoy the play

Posted 03 Jul 2011, 19:27 #15 

Jürgen
Mick wrote:
Jürgen wrote:

;)

You may well ask............................. maybe not JDC though, you know what he's like. :panic: :panic: :panic:

Don't worry, I'll be cautious! :lol:

Duncan wrote:

Hmm, must be the far, far, far northwest then. And they speak in a strange dialect or two ... :mrgreen: :gmc:

Posted 04 Jul 2011, 20:39 #16