thought I'd bought a bargain, but I think I've bought a dud by Dan the Man

Dan the Man
HELP. I bought a 2002 Rover 75 club tourer se cdt last week, it was fine on test drive, and for about 10 mins on my drive home, it then became sluggish, struggled up hills, black sooty smoke. I got it home, then joined your forum to find out what was up,, saw the posts about the O rings in the bend on the intercooler, and checked them,,,, there was'nt any, and the pipe was'nt connected to it, I had some o rings so I fitted them cleaned everything, tried to fit the bend, but it just dropped in the collar, so I tried thicker o rings,,, but they were far to thick, so I wrapped ptfe tape in the grooves for the o rings and put the o rings over the pfte tape and slotted it in, and reconnected the pipe,,I cleaned all the carbon off the valve on the other end of the pipe, checked the air filter, and cleaned the Maf sensor with brake cleaner, took it for a run, and it lacked even more power than before the clean and reconnection of pipework, but no black smoke, I put it in neutral, and revved it a bit, it was very slow to pick up, but no black smoke, and suggestions or idea's. I've now got no money, and 4 days to fix it because I need to get to work on tuesday to earn some money, thanks

Posted 30 Apr 2015, 19:29 #1 

Duncan
Try disconnecting the MAF (Mass Air Flow Sensor). If its failed, it would give the kind of symptoms you have. Disconnecting it makes the system use default values which can work better than a bad one.

Posted 30 Apr 2015, 20:37 #2 

Dan the Man
Thanks Duncan, I have done that and its a lot better, I'm confident now that the car is'nt a dud, and will invest some money in bits and piece's for it to put it right, I can now get to work to earn some money, Yahoo !

Posted 01 May 2015, 17:33 #3 

Arctic
(Trader)
Hi Dan.
You really need to use the proper Viton O-rings, as I have a feeling that the ptfe tape will not last long, also I think you may have damaged the MAF sensor using brake cleaner on it as it contains a very fine wire and will not take kindly to contaminates, EGR (Exhaust Gas Recirculation Valve) may need cleaning you can use a BMW MAF insert for half the price of an original MAF link is below.

O-rings are free at the nano along with the bend should you be able to get there, the car could also have a good looking over cheers Arctic

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/131251404965? ... EBIDX%3AIT
Pearl Firefrost
ARCTIC

Posted 01 May 2015, 22:51 #4 

Dan the Man
Thanks Artic, just a couple more questions, what is the "Nano"?
where will I find the EGR ?
when I stick it in "sport mode " its indicates it on the dashboard, but it seems to make no difference at all gearbox wise, it do'snt seem to do anything, and idea's ?
thank you Dan the man.

Posted 02 May 2015, 13:53 #5 

Duncan
If you look in my signature, you will find a link. We hold meets to help each other improve our cars, and if you can make it over you'd be welcome. If you visit the site there's a bit of the history behind the nanomeets.

Posted 02 May 2015, 14:13 #6 

Dan the Man
Everything fixed now, she drives like a dream, all for the sake of £50 s worth of bits from the scrapyard, THANKS FOR YOUR HELP EVERYONE.

Posted 24 May 2015, 01:12 #7 

takestock
Nice to hear a happy ending, thanks for coming back with the outcome, makes it all worthwhile :)
Photobucket = Tossers

Dave....

Posted 25 May 2015, 07:58 #8