The New Project! A ZT-T 180 Auto by Petetourer

Petetourer
Hi All...

Well on Tuesday I collected me new project.... Many thanks to the last owner who gave me a cracking deal on it... I dont mention names, if he wants to be known then I am sure he will post..

Some may recognise the car, I believe that Tonybubble owned it a while back

I am led to belieive that the car ran low on oil and this has unfortuantly caused the big end (Not sure on that) to fail I will hopefully get this confirmed later in the week, but am pretty sure it needs a new engine.

I have started to look for a new engine already and fingers crossed will get the money together soon to purchase it and start on the journey of returning it to the road

See some pics below.....

Posted 02 Aug 2012, 23:37 #1 

kandyman
Morning,

Very nice looking motor, I see it's got a few goodies on it :)

Good luck getting her back to full health and don't forget picture updates of the work you do :)

Posted 03 Aug 2012, 05:14 #2 

Tootall
Looks like an ex-Longbridge registered car with the BX suffix.Hope all goes well getting her back on the road.
Ex-Longbridge track monkey.

Posted 03 Aug 2012, 09:49 #3 

Petetourer
Right....

Well today I spent the day fiddling with the new project... Gave the inside a clean up and re fitted the roof bars...

Checked the plenums and unblocked the passenger side drain, so all is good there....

Had Trophy Blue Tourer (Andy) round to take a look at the engine for me as well...

So, I have a few little checks to carry out before deciding on whether it need a new engine or if it can be repaired So, that will be the next task, but its looking more likely that it can be repaired rather than replaced So everyone keep there fingers crossed!!! I will be doing this over the next few days and will keep you all posted

Any way, a few more pics from today... I may even give it a bath before the nest lot of pics...

Plenums

Roof Rails Re Fitted

Cleaned up interior

Posted 03 Aug 2012, 22:50 #4 

takestock
Nice looking car :)
Photobucket = Tossers

Dave....

Posted 03 Aug 2012, 23:08 #5 

Petetourer
takestock wrote:Nice looking car :)

Thanks mate....

Effectivly bought it without seeing it or any pics!!! lol The guy had put a written add up on the other site and I spoke to him from there... I ended up getting such a good price that I bought it before I had even seen it!!! LMAO... Needless to say I was VERY happy when I went to collect...

Posted 03 Aug 2012, 23:13 #6 

Petetourer
Did a few more checks today and it's the engine for sure! So the next stage is to strip it down and have a look, only then will I be sure of whether it requires the new engine or just s few parts for the current one!

It has 2 slow punctures, so my bright idea was to take the 2 wheels off and put on the winter wheels off my CDTi!! Unfortunatly I did not engage my brain and it was only after 30secs of trying to fit the Union alloy that I remembered that they would not fit due to the larger brakes!!!

So this is how it's been left for the time being....

Posted 04 Aug 2012, 18:04 #7 

takestock
I bet the neighbours love you :D :D
Photobucket = Tossers

Dave....

Posted 04 Aug 2012, 21:00 #8 

MN190
You could always put the unions on the back. I thought it was only the bigger front brake discs that stopped smaller wheels from fitting.

Posted 04 Aug 2012, 21:23 #9 

JakeWilson
Pete - Unless they've been retrofitted, only the manual 190 has the larger brakes, the 180 has standard 284mm size discs (God knows why!)

Showed dad the thread today,(he sends his best!)

Posted 04 Aug 2012, 21:42 #10 

Petetourer
JakeWilson wrote:Pete - Unless they've been retrofitted, only the manual 190 has the larger brakes, the 180 has standard 284mm size discs (God knows why!)

Showed dad the thread today,(he sends his best!)

Cheers mate...

Well I am pretty sure they would not go on :confused: Maybe they have been retro fitted ? ? Or maybe I am being stupid!! :lol: Make sure you send my best regards to your father in return Jake...

I did think about fitting the rear wheel, but hey I had 2 axel stands :mrgreen:

Oh and yes, I am sure the neighbours are loving it at the moment... :oops:

But hey, the wheels will be back on on Monday, so it will be back looking nice by then... Then its just a matter of when I have some spare funds to invest in getting her back on the road...

Posted 04 Aug 2012, 23:14 #11 

Mick
(Site Admin)
My MK1 180 saloon has the standard size 284mm discs. I wonder if the tourer only has larger fronts? Otherwise they are retrofits.
BTW stopping power IMV is excellent with the standard size.

Posted 05 Aug 2012, 10:55 #12 

Petetourer
I am gonna have to double check now!!! :roll:

Maybe something else was getting in the way... I did not try that hard as I thought, Hang on they wont fit!! :confused: Maybe I just needed to carry on trying.... :em:

Posted 05 Aug 2012, 12:08 #13 

JakeWilson
Mick wrote:My MK1 180 saloon has the standard size 284mm discs. I wonder if the tourer only has larger fronts? Otherwise they are retrofits.
BTW stopping power IMV is excellent with the standard size.

Not saying the original brakes are bad at all, it's more that I don't see why they didn't fit them to the autos where you're going to use more braking than a manual! :-)

Posted 05 Aug 2012, 15:28 #14 

MrDoodles
To be fair, shouldn't the 190 brakes been fitted to ALL of the V6 derivatives!

Posted 05 Aug 2012, 16:17 #15 

JakeWilson
MrDoodles wrote:To be fair, shouldn't the 190 brakes been fitted to ALL of the V6 derivatives!

On the MG's possibly - however possibly overkill considering I never had fade on the 284's after alot of heavy driving.

The 190 Calipers are also BMW (Either E36 M3 or E46 330ci - I can never remember which they are and which you can upgrade to) so I would imagine more expensive than the standards and also I'd say not really that needed on the Rovers.

Posted 05 Aug 2012, 16:30 #16 

Petetourer
Well, on Tuesday me and Andy got to work......

With the initial plan to remove the engine, we were sidetracked when the noisy engine stopped being noisy when we removed the Aux Belt

So we decided to do some in depth investigation on the crankshaft pulley tensioner, idler, A/C pump etc.... After all this investigation and several start ups without the noise present the noise suddenly returned.

We then tried an engine flush to see if it improved the noise at all, as we wanted to rule everything out before deciding to pull the engine... On start up the noise was still there, but quieter but since has got noisier again... That was that for the time being... I will be popping in before our meet on Sunday to make a final decision. It seems that may be to continue as planned and remove the engine and inspect...

So all in all a bit of faffing around due to the noise playing hide and seek, but we are on the way and hopefully not too long before she is back on the road

Here are some pics as an update...

Posted 24 Aug 2012, 15:27 #17