The making of the P5 ( brilliant must watch ) by Trebor

Trebor
Robs Pictures at :

Robs Car Gallery

click below to access nano website

Planning is an unnatural process, much better to just get on with things, that way failure comes as a complete surprise instead of being preceeded by a period of worry and doubt

Posted 17 May 2013, 18:36 #1 

Mick
(Site Admin)
How quaint. :)

Posted 17 May 2013, 19:11 #2 

Jumper
Wonderful! I want one. Again. Particularly liked the white coats, very clinical! Nearly a disaster though, on leaving the showroom at the end, the chauffeur almost pranged it.

Posted 18 May 2013, 13:24 #3 

Roverite
Rob, this is excellent; I know the RSR, Enthusiasts and the Ultimate 75 'clubs' will all be pleased to see this. I would like to post it as a link, but don't know how to do it, so if anyone can do it, will it be OK. If not I will put a post on their forum by referring to the Community etc.

The 3 Litre Rovers shown are early 1958 launch models (see Rover badge on the front end of each front wing, which was soon deleted), and this was probably the pinnacle of Rover design and engineering. The 6 cylinder engine had overhead inlet and side exhaust valves in a sloping aluminum head, which was first seen in the 1948 P3 Rover 75, and the later P4s. This arrangement had the spark plugs sitting between the valves in what was a very efficient cross-flow style head design. The track test was made by more than one tester per car, one being a woman because they were good at detecting squeaks and rattles. Also, when I visited Rover at Solihull in 1963, the cars were sent out on test, and when 'passed' were handed over to the 'pre-delivery' women, who then fitted the hub caps and polished the cars, under strong fluorescent lights, with Simonize wax polish.

This was before BLMC/BL/ARG etc., started to dilute the quality, and when Rover (with Land-Rover), was one of 'Britain's Fine Cars', often referred to as the poor man's Rolls Royce. My 1963 3 Litre Coupe, manual with Overdrive, was the best car I had ever owned, until I got my R40 Rover 75 CDTi manual. In my opinion, the design team for R40 were spot on with their interpretation of the BMW design brief to produce a modern version of those 1950s/60s Rovers.

If there are other similar films around, it would be interesting to see them on here. I know the 75eu site has some, and others are on here under the Auto Boot opening conversion For Sale entry.

Roverite.

Posted 18 May 2013, 14:54 #4 

Mick
(Site Admin)
Your easiest option Colin is to go to http://www.britishpathe.com and search for "In The Rover Tradition" you will find reels 1,2and 3 are the first items in the resultant list.

Posted 18 May 2013, 15:10 #5 

Trebor
Yes Colin it came from Pathe News where there are plenty of other films about Rover including test crashes and the jet car, all fascinating stuff and when you find the video it gives you a link to copy and paste like i did above, just press the share button to reveal the link which you can copy and paste from

If you still have problems pm me your phone number and a convenient time to call and i will give you a ring

Cheers

Rob
Robs Pictures at :

Robs Car Gallery

click below to access nano website

Planning is an unnatural process, much better to just get on with things, that way failure comes as a complete surprise instead of being preceeded by a period of worry and doubt

Posted 18 May 2013, 19:13 #6 

MrDoodles
Thanks for the Link! :)

However, it upsets me when I watch such newsreels, as I look at the quality cars we used to produce and how we used to lead the World and now it's all been sold down the River to China and the lowest bider! :(

Posted 18 May 2013, 21:11 #7