The "dreaded" door button rattle- sorted!! by Rammie

Rammie
I have been plaqued for long enough with a rattling driver's door button, as, I believe, others have suffered from.
Driven me potty really, the more I tried to ignore it the more I heard it :evil:

Anyway, I have sorted mine without having to remove the door card. How?

I got some Heat Shrink, put this over the button and carefully heated it so it shrunk to fit and Hey Presto, no more rattle and the door catch works fine.

Oh , it's so quiet now I'm well pleased. :D
Brian

Posted 04 Jun 2010, 21:41 #1 

takestock
Yertiz wrote:I have been plaqued for long enough with a rattling driver's door button, as, I believe, others have suffered from.
Driven me potty really, the more I tried to ignore it the more I heard it :evil:

Anyway, I have sorted mine without having to remove the door card. How?

I got some Heat Shrink, put this over the button and carefully heated it so it shrunk to fit and Hey Presto, no more rattle and the door catch works fine.

Oh , it's so quiet now I'm well pleased. :D

Brilliant idea, thanks for the tip :)
Photobucket = Tossers

Dave....

Posted 04 Jun 2010, 21:53 #2 

JohnDotCom
Nice one, not tried that method only ever taking off the cards.
Thanks.
John

"My lovely car now sold onto a very happy new owner.
I still love this marque and I will still be around, preferred selling to breaking, as a great runner and performer"

Posted 05 Jun 2010, 00:08 #3 

Rammie
Addendum

I bought an assorted pack from Halfrauds, not the cheapest option really, and used the largest size which is 6.4mm. £2.79 a pack.

It's a bit of a tight fit at first, (as the actress said!) so I found that putting it over an ordinary pencil before hand just to stretch it slightly helped.
In reality, a sightly larger size would have been easier, but at least I have a good tight fit, (back to the actress, again!).

Hope this helps.
Brian

Posted 05 Jun 2010, 07:08 #4 

jonjon77
that is a good idea,l think try that before l take the door card off.the rattle is getting on my nerves too

Posted 05 Jun 2010, 17:15 #5 

Paul
Will try this on my passenger door, cheers for the tip.

Posted 05 Jun 2010, 18:47 #6 

bigrob73
Yertiz wrote:I got some Heat Shrink, put this over the button and carefully heated it so it shrunk to fit and Hey Presto, no more rattle and the door catch works fine.

My first day on here and already some great advice!! :D

Posted 05 Jun 2010, 19:47 #7 

Rammie
Yertiz wrote:Addendum

I bought an assorted pack from Halfrauds, not the cheapest option really, and used the largest size which is 6.4mm. £2.79 a pack.

It's a bit of a tight fit at first, (as the actress said!) so I found that putting it over an ordinary pencil before hand just to stretch it slightly helped.
In reality, a sightly larger size would have been easier, but at least I have a good tight fit, (back to the actress, again!).

Some have asked for more detail on doing this, so here goes, no piccies though :confused: :lol:

With the door unlocked and the button in the upright position, slide heat shink over button as far as it will go then carefully heat until it shrinks and job done. That size heat shrink won't shrink much but it just tidys it up. It's really not rocket science. Ideally, a slightly larger size would be better but hey ho it's certainly worked for me.

Hope this helps.
Brian

Posted 06 Jun 2010, 07:13 #8