Talk me in/out - LAST CHANCE BEFORE CONCEDING HGF??? by Tourerfogey (Page 2 of 2)

Tourerfogey
Right, work this one out please chaps-

Car was dropped off at garage this morning at 7 ready for when they opened at 8.

9 o'clock I get a phone call - cooling system has been pressure tested cold and all is well - no sign of any pressure drop or leakage. Car was run up to operating temp - thermostat opened correctly, fan worked correctly system was pressure tested again and no problem or leakage was found. System was then pressure tested warm up to 17psi and again no sign of leakage or pressure drop.

The cooling system has effectively been given a clean bill of health and I am assurred that there isn't a problem

My car appears to be a hypochondriac - it isn't really ill at all.

Puzzled to say the least.

Posted 04 Feb 2011, 19:07 #21 

Zeb
Mebbe she was just giving you a warning shot across the balls as it were... :lol:

Posted 04 Feb 2011, 19:14 #22 

Tourerfogey
Zeb wrote:Mebbe she was just giving you a warning shot across the balls as it were... :lol:

Ooooer Missus!

Does anyone know if these engines are meant to use any coolant in service (I don't mean by leakage, obviously :roll: )

Posted 04 Feb 2011, 19:17 #23 

Zeb
Errrr...exactly what would the coolant be being used FOR??? :?

Posted 04 Feb 2011, 19:48 #24 

Tourerfogey
Zeb wrote:Errrr...exactly what would the coolant be being used FOR??? :?

Don't you take that tone with me young Zebedeedahday!!!! ;)

It is correct that sealed, pressurised cooling systems in theory do not 'consume' coolant - in practice the system may need topping up slighlty on occasion even though there are no perceptible leaks - just dont ask me where it actually goes :?

Posted 04 Feb 2011, 20:15 #25 

calibrax
Tourerfogey wrote:
Zeb wrote:Errrr...exactly what would the coolant be being used FOR??? :?

Don't you take that tone with me young Zebedeedahday!!!! ;)

It is correct that sealed, pressurised cooling systems in theory do not 'consume' coolant - in practice the system may need topping up slighlty on occasion even though there are no perceptible leaks - just dont ask me where it actually goes :?

Water can come out of the radiator cap as steam... it acts as a pressure relief valve. Also, on my Rover 620ti I had a pinhole in my radiator, it only leaked a very, very tiny jet of water when the engine revs went over 3000rpm, and it sprayed directly towards the exhaust manifold where it evaporated immediately. Very puzzling until we figured it out!
Steve

2004 MG ZT+ CDTi 135

Posted 04 Feb 2011, 20:26 #26 

Duncan
Yes, to be clear, a perfect system will have zero loss. It should never need topping up, only changing every few years.

But the system should not be full. You probably know, but it's worth repeating. With the engine cold, there should be little in the header tank. There's a mark you can see that says Max and Min. If it's above the max, it will just blow out of the cap anyway.

I had an odball leak on an 827 (Honda engine). When part warm, the water pump would leak, but not when properly hot, or cold. Probably parts expanding at different rates, and a dodgy seal. Still have the replacement pump, if anyone has an 827 with that engine......

Posted 04 Feb 2011, 21:02 #27 

timbo.p6
when you had hgf was the head skimmed ?????

Posted 04 Feb 2011, 22:25 #28 

Tourerfogey
timbo.p6 wrote:when you had HGF (Head Gasket Failure) was the head skimmed ?????

Was crack tested and skimmed - I'm assured within allowable tolerances.

Posted 04 Feb 2011, 23:06 #29 

Tourerfogey
AAAARRRRRRRGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Used the car as normal this morning and then parked it up outside my house at lunchtime. This afternoon I went outside and there's a bloody great puddle of coolant under the thing. So far as I can tell it's definitely coming from between the head and the block at the back end of the engine.

Why the hell did nothing show up when it was pressure tested last week?

I'm now off to stick my head in the oven - oh hang on, that's no bleedin' good, it's electric . . .

Posted 09 Feb 2011, 19:00 #30 

JohnDotCom
Bad luck TF not very impressed with your garage in that case.
Cannot see how a loss of antifreeze didn't show up.
You can't Gas yourself anymore in the Gas ovens either but definitely when you give up don't light a fag!
John

"My lovely car now sold onto a very happy new owner.
I still love this marque and I will still be around, preferred selling to breaking, as a great runner and performer"

Posted 09 Feb 2011, 19:47 #31 

Duncan
I don't know the 1.8 at all. But I seem to remember there can be a leak between the head and the manifold (intake I assume). Some O rings.

I'm dragging things out of the back of my memory. Perhaps someone can confirm, or tell me I've got it wrong.

Posted 09 Feb 2011, 19:58 #32 

Tourerfogey
Duncan wrote:I don't know the 1.8 at all. But I seem to remember there can be a leak between the head and the manifold (intake I assume). Some O rings.

I'm dragging things out of the back of my memory. Perhaps someone can confirm, or tell me I've got it wrong.

Think that's on the inlet manifold side of the engine - my leak appears to be on the exhaust manifold side . . .

Posted 09 Feb 2011, 20:10 #33 

Tourerfogey
Mmmm after reading elsewhere that a leak from the inlet manifold often only shows on the forward side of the engine because the leaking coolant runs round the seam between the head and the block I thought in for a penny in a pound - let's change the inlet gasket. In for a penny in for a pound wasn't quite right though 'cause the new gasket was an exhorbitant 18 quid from the Main Stealer!! Yes, 18 bleedin' quid!!!

Anyway, I've just finished changing the gasket so once again, I'll be watching keenly for leaks over the coming week . . .

INCIDENTLY- if anyone else here is thinking of changing the inlet manifold gasket on their 75 K series ignore what it says in the Haynes manual - you don't have to disconnect / dissemble half the things they tell you to in there!

Posted 12 Feb 2011, 14:58 #34 

Jürgen
Let's hope you've found and eliminated the cause of the pain now.

Posted 12 Feb 2011, 15:19 #35 

Bernard
Tourerfogey wrote:Mmmm after reading elsewhere that a leak from the inlet manifold often only shows on the forward side of the engine because the leaking coolant runs round the seam between the head and the block I thought in for a penny in a pound - let's change the inlet gasket. In for a penny in for a pound wasn't quite right though 'cause the new gasket was an exhorbitant 18 quid from the Main Stealer!! Yes, 18 bleedin' quid!!!

Anyway, I've just finished changing the gasket so once again, I'll be watching keenly for leaks over the coming week . . .

INCIDENTLY- if anyone else here is thinking of changing the inlet manifold gasket on their 75 K series ignore what it says in the Haynes manual - you don't have to disconnect / dissemble half the things they tell you to in there!

18 quid! Is that all?
Priced a HG for a Peugeot 305 today, nearly 80 notes for an aftermarket gasket.
Rovers do have something going for them after all.

As for Haynes, :whump: Lost the plot 15 years or so ago.
I don't like signatures, they take up too much screen space.

Posted 12 Feb 2011, 19:48 #36 

Tourerfogey
Bernard - the 18 quid was just for the inlet manifold gasket - not a head gasket ;)

Posted 12 Feb 2011, 20:38 #37 

Bernard
Tourerfogey wrote:Bernard - the 18 quid was just for the inlet manifold gasket - not a head gasket ;)

Ah! Should have read the post properly. :roll:
I don't like signatures, they take up too much screen space.

Posted 12 Feb 2011, 20:50 #38