Synology NAS - Anyone have one.... by Mad-Monkey

Mad-Monkey
...and good with telnet?

I need a copy of a system file (only a picture) I've deleted instead of renaming! oops!

Posted 23 May 2013, 21:13 #1 

Mad-Monkey
Sorted :) Phew! Help from the Synology guru's :)

If you download the latest firmware and change .pat to .zip you can extract system files as needed.

Posted 24 May 2013, 08:47 #2 

Duncan
Well done. I have Synology, but never used Telnet.

Posted 24 May 2013, 12:31 #3 

Mad-Monkey
I only used it to remove the DSM logo off the login front page that's visible to the world. Makes the page looks a bit cleaner and less distracting. However I muddled up RM and MV commands. It's taken a week to setup fully but now it's working great. One of the best products I've used, I really like Synology as it just works :) have two now, albeit in separate locations. Would just like to change the port forwarding so I don't have to enter :5000 each time but easy enough to do.

Posted 24 May 2013, 15:13 #4 

Duncan
I agree about the synology stuff. It just does. Some clever addons too. For example, you can plug in a USB TV tuner stick and it will allow you to view TV on any networked PC so long as you install the right its! I would say you need to be aware of them being targeted by hackers trying to turn it into a spambot, but a few easy things protect you from this.

Posted 24 May 2013, 18:25 #5 

Mad-Monkey
Oh yeah I agree with the hackers! The number of attempts of access is outrageous!

I currently have mine attached to a UPS as I've heard bad things about HDD corruption on sudden power loss :(

Posted 24 May 2013, 22:16 #6 

Dave
Is this a "Synology DiskStation"

I ask because I am interested in putting a NAS into my Network to use alongside my recently purchased Denon Network Player. I can get this to work very well by simply pulling up tracks from my laptop directly to the Denon. This way the music flows very well, with no stuttering let alone stopping, but it's a little tricky to navigate via the Denon's tiny screen.

You can also use iTunes and Airplay. This is great as far as navigation is concerned, but the playback is flaky to say the least.... :(

I've been advised that a Synology DiskStation supports iTunes, but don't know if this means I can use the laptop to navigate, whilst having the NAS more or less hardwired to the setup (ie NAS to router via LAN, then router to Denon via LAN, but router to laptop via WiFi)

Would be interested to find out! :)

Posted 29 May 2013, 13:47 #7 

Duncan
Yes, they are Synology Diskstations, and they do have iTunes support. There's an iTunes utility that can be run on it. I can't comment on the performance, though.

Posted 29 May 2013, 16:54 #8 

Mad-Monkey
http://www.synology.com/support/tutoria ... s&q_id=521

The good thing with Synology is there are tutorials everywhere! Some of the 3rd party ones can miss a few details so you have to sometimes look things up else where like I had to do with the SSL certificate.

I have mine connected as a mediacenter which will stream blurays to my TV and hopefully in a few months I will purchase a Sonos to play the music. I've also set a front end up to a domain name so I can log in and change settings and use the file manager, as well as sftp. The recent DSM updates pretty much allow simple click on click off to change functions. I don't use iTunes so can't comment on the performance either. However I would recommend using a gigabit network if you don't have one. Just check the synology you buy does have a gigabit connection though! If you transfer a bulk load of music you'll be waiting ages on a standard 100/10 connection. It would take me around 40min to transfer a bluray on 100/10, now it takes minutes.

Posted 30 May 2013, 06:25 #9 

Dave
Must admit that I don't know what the difference is between a gigabit network and a 100/10 connection!

Posted 30 May 2013, 08:50 #10 

Mad-Monkey
In short the speed of communication. Imagine usb and usb 2 as a crude comparison.

Posted 30 May 2013, 09:56 #11 

Dave
OK!

But how do you get one? Is it down to broadband speed, or rather your own network/router set up?

Posted 30 May 2013, 10:34 #12 

Mad-Monkey
You'll need a gigabit router, but any devices you attach will need to be gigabit as well for full speed otherwise they'll just run at the slower speed. Really you'll only need a gigabit port on the synology, router and PC. For music playing 10/100 will be fine, its just copying the files which takes an age. Might be best to set it up on your existing network and see how you get on. If you find it too slow copying music to the NAS you can either use a USB stick for transfers or upgrade the router and PC card if needed. Just check the synology you buy does have a gigabit port though. I play HD and 3D movies through mine and anything less than gigabit just doesn't cope.

Broadband isn't affected as it's just your local network.

Posted 30 May 2013, 14:43 #13 

Dave
If I do go down this route, I'll definitely put all the music files onto the NAS via cable, all in one go. Then I'd only need to add any new stuff on the rare occasion I bought and then ripped a CD! (although having said that, I have ordered two from Amazon this afternoon!)

Posted 30 May 2013, 15:22 #14