Suspension help by sewerman

sewerman
While I was changing the rear seats this weekend I took a snap of the car info label under the seat incase I need a new spring. Its a 2001 tourer club and the Damper code is J and spring code RH.

Looking on Rimmers J is a self levelling strut and The RH spring code is again for self levelling suspension, but looking under the car it looks like a standard strut - no tubes to it.

There's no warning light on the dash for self levelling suspension either, is it possible the self levelling has been stripped out and replaced with standard - the cars done 155,000 so possible has had a suspension change to standard as I understand self levelling struts and springs are more expensive.

If it is standard what spring / damper codes should I use?
:panic:
Royal Blue Rover 75 CDT Tourer

Posted 03 Aug 2014, 19:16 #1 

Bernard
The self levelling st
ruts look very much like a normal strut, there are no pipes involved nor is there any indication involved. The struts are self contained and purely mechanical in function. I find them very effective on my saloon.
I don't like signatures, they take up too much screen space.

Posted 03 Aug 2014, 20:15 #2 

Duncan
Bernard is spot on. There are no pipes or anything. The prototypes had an air suspension to do the self levelling (the fuseboxes still have the fuse position for this, even on the last cars) But before serial production, there was a change to Nivomat self levelling dampers. These are a bit fatter than standard ones, but otherwise look the same. Have a search on t'internet for Nivomat.

Posted 03 Aug 2014, 20:29 #3 

sewerman
:thumbsup: Ah thanks Bernard & Duncan - I was expecting some sort of compressor to balance the struts and was thrown by the fuse box! Will do some googling on Nivomat

Posted 03 Aug 2014, 21:10 #4 

PaulT
In case the springs have sagged a little there is someone selling self levelling springs on eBay. Have not seen struts advertised for a long while.
Paul

That apart Mrs Lincoln, did you enjoy the play

Posted 04 Aug 2014, 08:18 #5 

Duncan
That's kind of another benefit with the self levellers. They compensate for weak main springs, but then will 'run out' of extra support earlier.

Posted 04 Aug 2014, 17:26 #6 

sewerman
Thanks guys - had a look on the bay and springs are about £50.00 - £60 each but no sign of dampers so may just do the springs - any idea of the life span of the dampers mileage wise?

Posted 04 Aug 2014, 17:57 #7