Suspect Clutch Failure by MN190

MN190
Not a happy bunny, getting ready to go away for a few days so as normal filled up, when don't you in a 190 :) and checked tyres pressure etc.
Started car up and half of clutch pedal not working, so swapped everything over to the daily run about and dropped the car of at the garage.
Yes it could have been worse we could have been away but I had a complete new clutch fitted approx 3 months ago including DMF and the car is only used once a week or so or on family trips. Time to wait to see what garage say but I'm losing the battle to keep it.

Posted 13 Oct 2015, 22:07 #1 

PaulT
If the garage fitted the clutch then it is down to them to sort it out, especially with the new consumer regulations that came in at the beginning of October.
Paul

That apart Mrs Lincoln, did you enjoy the play

Posted 14 Oct 2015, 06:05 #2 

MN190
It is back with the garage that fitted the clutch and they supplied all the parts as well.
Its already been back once already to replace the Crankshaft sensor, brand new one failed, so no charge
Time to wait and see what they say about the clutch

Posted 14 Oct 2015, 09:03 #3 

MN190
Master cylinder was empty of fluid so they filled it up and said let them know if any problems
That lasted just 2 days before it started to play up again with difficult gear selection and pedal jerky.
Clutch pedal stays close to floor then suddenly bounces up and has a burning smell.
So its back in the garage

Posted 27 Oct 2015, 13:08 #4 

PaulT
Unless you have a leak you do not suddenly lose fluid, it will only gradually decrease at a very slow rate as the clutch plate wears.
Paul

That apart Mrs Lincoln, did you enjoy the play

Posted 27 Oct 2015, 13:28 #5 

MN190
PaulT wrote:Unless you have a leak you do not suddenly lose fluid, it will only gradually decrease at a very slow rate as the clutch plate wears.

Yep I know and I would say they were trying the cheapest option first.
No fluid loss in the cabin so they will need to dismantle this time and find out what's gone wrong.
On this one I'm glad that they supplied and fitted all the parts

Posted 27 Oct 2015, 13:46 #6 

Borg Warner
There are times when paying a garage to do the work is beneficial. Hope it all works out ok.

Gary M.

Posted 27 Oct 2015, 14:38 #7 

MN190
Its back :)
Lets see if it lasts, if not it will be going back

Posted 06 Nov 2015, 20:48 #8 

MN190
Clutch all seems to be ok but car started overheating.

Plenty of antifreeze, fan working ok and did it when moving so mostly likely source was a thermostat sticking (Temperature had dropped a few times when accelerating a couple of months ago)
So bit the bullet bought the parts and finally got it all changed over and was amazed when the car started up first time.
However electrics playing up and sure enough I had the start of a paddling pool in the spare wheel well.
Water was getting in around nearside light cluster, gasket dried and clear silicone sealant added.
Removed all the modules and placed them in cupboard to dry out overnight and put a dehumidifier in the boot.
Looks like I caught the leak in time as all the modules are working ok and electrics are back to normal
Just need to give the boot carpet and side trims a good clean as they have some staining on them.

Posted 26 Dec 2015, 19:27 #9