Sunny Sunday (Jobs & Checking) by Arctic

Arctic
(Trader)
Morning all nice fresh sunny sunday here 23/12/2012 and a few little jobs i intend to check on and do if the weather sticks out for a few hours.

Shannon tube.

Check brake pipes

Check for leaks

Check all fluids & tyres/lights etc

Check plenums

Change rear brake pads

Clean inside windows (with diluted vinger water )

Clean all outside windows and add Rain X

What jobs are you going to try and do if any or is it a quite day or even the dreaded last minute Christmas Shopping what ever it is good luck Arctic.
Pearl Firefrost
ARCTIC

Posted 23 Dec 2012, 09:59 #1 

MrDoodles
So what you doing after lunch? :lol:

Posted 23 Dec 2012, 10:33 #2 

carlpenn
I have to put the Roast on for Lunch. Final check we have all we need for the next few days, tidy up the House.

Put my Junk away, Tina has made it clear to me that the Kitchen is NOT for storing Car bits, so need to find the stuff a new home lol.

If its still clear later, gonna pop the Tourer down to the Jet wash, normally do it by hand, but a quicky wash is all I need at the moment. Followed by a Vacuum inside and a quick dust off, clean the windows as they are stained from all the damp weather.
Upgrades:

Fitted Electric Memory Seat, Leather Cubby Lid, Wood Dash, Message Centre.

Posted 23 Dec 2012, 10:51 #3 

kandyman
You're making me feel guilty, all I plan to do today is...... well nothing :)

Good luck with you're list of jobs.

Posted 23 Dec 2012, 12:35 #4 

Jürgen
kandyman wrote:all I plan to do today is...... well nothing :)

I like that kind of plan. :thumbsup:

Posted 23 Dec 2012, 12:52 #5 

kandyman
So how many jobs did you get completed ?

Posted 24 Dec 2012, 12:44 #6 

Arctic
(Trader)
Well i got the shannon tube changed over as i was using the trumpet from a 2.0 instead of the 190 shannon tube funnel which should be in place (thanks to Sean for suppling )few pics below as usual,

The old trumpet i was using until i could obtain the right funnel for the 190
Image1

The trumpet removed
Image2

The proper funnel with the hose attached ready to be fitted into place
Image3

Image4

Image5

Funnel in place behind the wheel arch liner
Image6

Image7

The hose leading to the air box
Image8

Image9

Image10

Bottom of air box making sure drainage holes are clear so it can not fill up of water should the funnel holes fail
Image11

Hose fitted to the air box nice and tight ready to be fitted back into its gromit holes
Image12

I also managed to check and top up both fluids on the two cars checked the plenums and tyres,cleaned insdie and out side windows added the rain X

Whiel doing the funnel i also check the brake pipes i had replaced recently 17/12/2012 because of corrosion where the pipes clip into the body fixings and i am not an happy bunny with the work carried out few clips broken and replaced with washers pipe touching and conneting with the subframe brace and pipe work like a dogs hind leg it will be going back after xmas to be put right, why do these garages take on jobs if they can not do a decent quality of work.

I could have done this job myself but because it was cold and wet i decided let the professionals do the job a MOT garage again few pics below.

The before photo's of the pipe work and why i had them changed.
Image1

Image2

corroded where the pipe fits into the clip common trouble
Image3

After the new copper pipes have been fitted starts off ok as here in pic 4
Image4

starting to splay out a little now
Image5

passing down from the front to the under body and over the subframe brace upside down shot
Image6

Note the pipe now resting and making contact with the subframe brace
Image7

Image8

First clip in the run broken and replace with a washer and cable tie to hold the pipes together.
Image9

pipe work from the first washer to original second clip in the line not straight why?
Image10

close up of the clip
Image11

At the rear another clip broken and washer used in conjunction with a cable tie
Image12

part of the original clip used to help with the alignment and gap for the pipes
Image13
would you send out work like this if you owned a MOT garage and business not very good workmanship in my opinion have emailed these photo to the garage as its closed today but as soon as they open i want it putting right or i will get another garage to do it and they can pick up the bill you can hear the pipe vibrating on the subframe brace. Arctic
Pearl Firefrost
ARCTIC

Posted 24 Dec 2012, 14:37 #7 

Mick
(Site Admin)
That's a right mess. I'd be livid.

Posted 24 Dec 2012, 15:42 #8 

1gp
thats rough..

Posted 24 Dec 2012, 20:16 #9 

JakeWilson
Out of interest Steve I'd be asking why they have joined at the rear, as opposed to replacing the whole run, or is it me misunderstanding the photos? Have the replaced the lines all the way out to the trailing arms?

Damn shoddy job!

Posted 24 Dec 2012, 20:26 #10 

Arctic
(Trader)
JakeWilson wrote:Out of interest Steve I'd be asking why they have joined at the rear, as opposed to replacing the whole run, or is it me misunderstanding the photos? Have the replaced the lines all the way out to the trailing arms?

Damn shoddy job!

Hi jake no they stopped at that point saying that the pipe work over the fuel tank is in good condition and does not get that much road salt etc on it not happy at all sent an email saying so and as soon as their doors open after xmas i wil be the first through them.

James i agree

Mick i am dont you worry
Pearl Firefrost
ARCTIC

Posted 24 Dec 2012, 22:14 #11 

1gp
Arctic wrote:
JakeWilson wrote:Out of interest Steve I'd be asking why they have joined at the rear, as opposed to replacing the whole run, or is it me misunderstanding the photos? Have the replaced the lines all the way out to the trailing arms?

Damn shoddy job!

Hi jake no they stopped at that point saying that the pipe work over the fuel tank is in good condition and does not get that much road salt etc on it not happy at all sent an email saying so and as soon as their doors open after xmas i wil be the first through them.

WOW... they said that, there out of the way ? the ones over the tank are the worst bit to rot....

Posted 31 Dec 2012, 19:57 #12 

Duncan
1gp wrote: the ones over the tank are the worst bit to rot....

Over the tank, mine were clean and good. However once the LH one gets over the tank into the wheelarch, and the RH one gets to it's wheelarch, they are exposed to salt and grit again.

Posted 01 Jan 2013, 10:59 #13 

Arctic
(Trader)
Happy New Year Duncan & James
I have got the new clips from rimmers now and have been intouch with the vender of the garage, After two emails over xmas he thanked me for bringing it to his attention.

This is his reply.
Dear Steve,I am terribly sorry at your unhappiness at the work carried out,as I explained when you collected your vehicle we had had a problem with the clips breaking and not being able to obtain any more clips,the only solution to the broken clips was to fashion a flat washer and a cable tie to maintain some security.

Please feel assured if you are not satisfied we will certainly take vehicle back into the workshop and rectify any problem to give you complete satisfaction,if you require a courtesy vehicle whilst the work is carried out we will accomodate this,also after the work is carried out if you would like to inspect the work whilst still on the ramp,I do hope you have had a pleasant Christmas,and I hope you have a pleasant new year,I thankyou for bringing this to my attention and I look forward to hearing from you in the new year,we are open again on the 2nd January 2013.

Yours Faithfully

Chris Wright

I will then ask him to double check over the tank area he as also said i can check the job while its still on the lift once the job as been rectified,the offered replacement car i will refuse as i want the car back asap within the 2 hours it took in the first place as this time it should not take so long cheers steve
Pearl Firefrost
ARCTIC

Posted 01 Jan 2013, 11:57 #14 

1gp
Hi , it just seems strange to me , that they change all that lot , then leave the tank area... wouldnt it be piece of mind to have them done.... you carnt see over the tank so how do they know there ok? when i took mine out , they broke very easy, at a section that you wouldnt of seen....

Posted 01 Jan 2013, 19:25 #15 

Duncan
1gp wrote:Hi , it just seems strange to me , that they change all that lot , then leave the tank area... wouldnt it be piece of mind to have them done.... you carnt see over the tank so how do they know there ok? when i took mine out , they broke very easy, at a section that you wouldnt of seen....

Were they where clips were fitted? My car had no clips up top (its a 99 built car) but I've heard that some do have clips. So maybe that explains the difference.

Posted 01 Jan 2013, 20:11 #16 

1gp
ye rotted around clip areas... i put loads of cooper slip around them, and also use motorbike chain wax over brake pipes..

Posted 03 Jan 2013, 21:49 #17 

Arctic
(Trader)
Well got these sorted out Thursday i was there while he did the job and looks alot better now will take some pics as per usual once it gets warmer or even tomorrow when it goes in for the MOT fingers crossed :thumbsup:
Pearl Firefrost
ARCTIC

Posted 13 Jan 2013, 02:05 #18