Straights Centre Caps - Refurb Possible ? by Trebor

Trebor
have just bought a ZT with straights and am slowly knocking it into shape, the centre caps are the metal ones and they need a refurb.

Looking on E bay there are ones worse than my own at anything from £8- £15each, some of which are the plastic type.

Does anyone know if the centre piece on the metal caps is removable, it looks as though it should be but its ceratinly not easy.

The outside of the centre cap would be easy to refurb, but thats not usally the problem its the middle circle just outside the MG badge which goes first and that is a different colour to the outside.

All in all a difficult refurb but someone has probably already tried so please share how you got on.

Robs Pictures at :

Robs Car Gallery

click below to access nano website

Planning is an unnatural process, much better to just get on with things, that way failure comes as a complete surprise instead of being preceeded by a period of worry and doubt

Posted 01 Dec 2011, 19:27 #1 

Mad-Monkey
If it's stuck on with glue then heat it up with a hairdryer, heatgun or boil it. It should soften the glue and peel off. :)

Posted 01 Dec 2011, 22:17 #2 

Trebor
cheers David, i have had similar replies from the club forum so at least i know it separates and is
"refurbishable "
Robs Pictures at :

Robs Car Gallery

click below to access nano website

Planning is an unnatural process, much better to just get on with things, that way failure comes as a complete surprise instead of being preceeded by a period of worry and doubt

Posted 01 Dec 2011, 22:21 #3 

TyphoonTT
I did try approaching a company about new centre badges, but they couldn't help with making something close to the original.

http://www.demongraphics.co.uk/index.ph ... x&cPath=62

Posted 01 Dec 2011, 23:48 #4 

Mad-Monkey
You could use some real carbon fibre with some aluminium look vinyl decals, and a few layers of laquer. I think that would be quite snazzy. If they were flat then it would be easier as they could be made off the centres, otherwise you'd need to mask up the centre cap and shape the CF to the profile.

Obviously each to their own :)

Posted 02 Dec 2011, 08:30 #5